In this article, we will talk about the famous square del Popolo in Rome, and its attractions - the Egyptian obelisk of Flaminio, the most ancient pilgrimage road, amazing fountains, green gardens of Pincha Hill, the Santa Maria del Popolo Basilica Church and the Twin Temples.
The entire square del Popolo, with its architectural heritage, is one of the largest, most beautiful and elegant squares in Rome.
Square del Popolo is located at the foot of Pincio hill and the common people is called people's square. Why folk will describe below, it is connected causeth fear and horror legend and history.
The kind of square that we can see today, the Piazza acquired only in the years 1811-1812, thanks to the architect Giuseppe Valadier.
Historically (until 1826), Piazza del Popolo was place of public executions. At present, this spacious and beautiful area, completely closed to vehicular traffic, where there are cafés and restaurants, performing street artists and musicians, and on holidays here set the stage and concerts. Square roam sometimes even crooks and charlatans.
This area is our favorite of all the Roman squares. Arriving in Rome, we walk through the Plaza del Popolo several times. Why is it we like so much? Unlike the other Central squares of Rome, Piazza Popolo, a large, uncrowded, there's always a few people, and not surprising, because the most famous tourist trails do not reach it. Here, for example, unlike the well-known and popular tourist area of Spain with the famous Spanish steps and the fountain of Borkach that every tourist feels compelled to visit, Piazza Popolo and larger on her little people. And unlike the even more famous Piazza Venezia, the square Popolo no traffic. From all this del Popola looks even more attractive, peaceful and inviting.
To all the above oval square Popolo, decorated with beautiful architecture, historical buildings and churches, statues and fountains, terraces with viewing points and walking the square.
So in the center of the square stands a 36-meter Egyptian obelisk - the Obelisk Flaminio (L Obelisco Flaminio).
The name of the obelisk Flaminia is connected with the name of the ancient via Flaminia, which originates from the Piazza Popolo, and is considered an ancient pilgrimage road.
The obelisk bears the inscription, which praise the deeds of the Pharaoh Ramses II. The obelisk is very old and has an interesting history, in Ancient Rome, the obelisk used as the gnomon of a sundial or a rotary sign in circuses. This obelisk was transported to Rome from Heliopolis at the whim of Octavian Augustus in 10 BC. After for many centuries it stood in the circus Maximus, and to the North gate of Rome was postponed on the orders of Pope Sixtus V only in 1589.
In addition to the obelisk in Popolo square is decorated with five fountains. Four of which, of small size, located at the four sides of the obelisk, at its base. Fountains circular shape in which the depicted pyramid noslegusies them marble lions, exact copies of ancient Lviv. From the mouth of each statue of a lion beat jet of water.
To the obelisk and fountains are stairs, which love to relax like the locals and guests of the city.
All throughout Piazza del Popolo square, you can see quite a large number of sculptures not only feral cats, but also other statues personifying historical figures and heroes of the ancient Roman legends.
The fifth and most majestic and beautiful fountain in Piazza del Popolo square is the Fontana della DEA di Roma (Fontana della Dea di Roma). The fountain is not as large and colorful as the famous Trevi fountain, but still pretty neat, and inviting.
Being on the Plaza del Popolo, this fountain is hard to miss. It was erected in honor of the goddess of Rome. In the center of the sculptural composition of the fountain itself is located a Roman goddess wearing a helmet. Both sides to the feet of the goddess fell at the figures of bearded men. These men represent the rivers Tiber and Aniene. Tiber, river flowing in Rome and the Aniene or Anio flows into the Tiber in the territory of Rome. At the feet of the goddess you can see the sculpture of the Roman she-wolf. Giving says, the Roman she-wolf represents a symbol of the nurse of all newborns.
This fountain is located at the foot of the hill Pincio (Pincio Italian name, Latin Mons Pincius). Pintxos is one of the Roman hills. However, this hill does not belong to the seven classical hills of Rome, although covered by Aureliano wall.
This interesting name of a hill - Pinch, comes from a family Pinchev, who once owned large possessions on the hill.
Currently on the hill are green Pincio gardens, broken in the era of classicism under the project of Giuseppe Valadier. These gardens, with beautiful grounds and profusely dotted with greenery. After work up at the Piazza del Popolo square, so nice to sit in the shade of a spreading tree canopy and relax. For gardens with children's fun rides train, good fun for the little ones.
If the Plaza del Popolo to go to the Fontana di Roma, you will find the monumental ascents-descents that will lead you to the Pincio hill. On the hill equipped observation deck, which offers beautiful panoramas of the Piazza del Popolo square and some neighborhoods of Rome. The types of really lovely and very touches. From this terrace Pintxos can be fully and thoroughly inspect the area Popolo, while creating a single picture.
Another and for these two reasons, an observation deck and the green gardens of the hill, we fell in love with the Piazza Popolo.
Now we will tell about the architecture and the churches of Piazza del Popolo square, as well as the ancient pilgrimage gate del Popolo
The oldest Church Piazza del Popolo is minutes from Santa Maria del Popolo (Basilica Parrocchiale Santa Maria del Popolo). This Church is not so big and flashy as the other two temple square, are similar to each other, like brothers-twins.
Parish Basilica of Santa Maria del Popolo was built in the years 1472-1477 on the basis of the Romanesque chapel. The Basilica was built by Pope pashalian II, the donations of the Roman people, it is the second name - people's Church (popolo, which means the people). Thanks to the Basilica, the same name Zamoranos and the whole area of Popolo. It is from this Church once took and takes to this day its the beginning of the Popolo square. Remember, in the beginning of this article we promised to tell you why the second name of the square Popolo, people's square? Here's why...
For all its long history, the Santa Maria was repeatedly reconstructed. The facade and interior of the Church we can see nowadays, was converted Lorenzo Bernini under Alexander VII in the years 1655-1660. He added the architecture of the Basilica of Santa Maria del Popolo, the Baroque.
Currently, the Basilica of Santa Maria del Popolo is a titular Church. From March 24, 2006 Cardinal priest with the title Church of Santa Maria del Popolo is the Polish cardinal Stanislaw Dziwisz.
Around the Basilica goes an interesting legend that says that the Church was built on the burial place of the cruel Emperor Nero. Nero remained in the memory of their ancestors only as a persecutor of Christians who burned the great city. Say, often a sign of the once insatiable Emperor could be seen at midnight of the new moon on nut tree growing on the square. Panic and fear, with the local people a spooky Ghost, forced people to turn to Dad. Dad, in those days, the Paschal table-II long suffered in thoughts about how to help his people and so, one night, at midnight of the new moon in 1099 saw the Pope in a dream the blessed virgin Mary, commanding it to cut the spooky tree. The next day Paschal II did it. Then the Ghost left the area, but as they say only for a while. Soon after, the spirit of Nero, began to appear on the square and scare the townspeople strikes fear and dread howls, but only once a year. Locals claim that to this day are heard his bloodcurdling screams, only to say exactly what day of the year this happens, no one can.
In Piazza del Popolo, to the left of the Church of Santa Maria, are the Northern gates of Rome - the gate del Popolo, Porto del Popolo (Porta del Popolo).
Popolo is a gate called the gate Flaminia. Because these gates lies the pilgrimage Flaminia road (Via Flaminia), in the Middle ages known as the Ravenna road. That is way over the centuries arrived in Rome the bulk of the travellers. This is the most important Roman road that once led from ancient Rome to the North, in the direction Arimana (Rimini) and linked Rome with the Adriatic. The construction of the road started in 220 BC, the censor guy Flamini.
Themselves Gate del Popolo was built in the XVI century.
Opposite the Church of Santa Maria and Plamenevskij gate, on the opposite side of Piazza del Popolo square, majestically reaching into the heavens two other equally famous Basilica of Rome, so similar to each other not only externally but also their names - Santa Maria Montesanto (Santa Maria in Montesanto) and Santa Maria dei Miracoli (Chiesa di Santa Maria dei Miracoli).
These two Baroque symmetrically constructed of the Catholic Church, although they look the same, but still differ from each other by their shapes. Here only to consider their differences can only a registered architect or a very careful traveler. We are observant and found differences in the architecture of churches! And you found? If so, what? Write comments, would love to hear your answers, can you find such differences, which we haven't noticed!
Piazza del Popolo and stretched over her green Pincio gardens are one of the favorite places of recreation for Romans and tourists. Here the locals under the shade of the trees hold their Siesta, and near the fountains and the obelisk, scheduling appointments and meetings.
We still believe Popolo, the main square and the most charming area of Rome. And another thing, the strap that ties behind your articles interesting facts, according to the pattern of this square built in the center of St. Petersburg, Versailles and many other cities in the world.