Wilten is the statistical district of Innsbruck, located in the southern part of the city.
Independent Wilten was merged with the city of Innsbruck as a municipality and district in 1904.
The first settlement within the hill Bergisel, which is now part of the district Wilten existed for about 1,000 years BC, When the Romans were built warehouses, a Fort and settlement which was first mentioned in the 3rd century.
According to some estimates, Abbey Wilten (Wilten) was founded in the 9th century before it was transferred to the Premonstratensian order in the year 1138 the. Until the 19th century Welten was part of the territory and jurisdiction of the monastery. During the temporary transfer of Tyrol during the Napoleonic wars in Bavaria in 1805 and the subsequent secularization of the monasteries, the monastery yard was disbanded and Wilten was considered a separate municipality.
By 1883, Wilten, then still a rural village, began to develop and changed its appearance by building the railroad and station. There are new neighborhoods with urban character.
Currently Wilten is a developed residential area, which is a railway station that runs urban public transport, there is a Park zone of rest and relaxation, as well as the observation deck, museums, casinos, and important sights of Innsbruck.
Wilten stretches out from the arc de Triomphe, located at the end of the street of Maria Theresa, thereby forming the border of the historical and tourist center of the city, stretching North from the arc de Triomphe.
A photo of the arc de Triomphe
Area attractions Wilten
Wilten Basilica (Wiltener Basilika), also known as Basilica of our lady of the Immaculate Conception - Roman Catholic Church serving the parish Church and also a popular Church of pilgrimage.
Behind the Basilica are in the care of the Premonstratensian of the Abbey of Wilten located in front of the Shrine.
Under the existing Church building were found the remains of a Church, the predecessor Dating to the early Christian period of the 5th century and, according to legend, Roman Legionnaires Fort Veldidena worshipped the image of Mary in this place.
With 1259 was was the Church of our lady, which soon began an active pilgrimage traffic.
In the years 1751-1756 the building was constructed in the Rococo style in return, by that time the old Church building.
In recognition of the historical significance of the parish Church Wilten was founded in 1957 by Pope Pius XII. And now this Church is one of the most visited attractions in the area.
The interior of the Church is notable for the rich decoration with soft colours, light but rich with stucco, with exquisite frescoes, the high altar and the organ.
Around the Basilica there is a small cemetery of a parish Welten, also known as the Old cemetery Villena, which found their last resting some important personality of Austria.
And for the North side facade of the Church is Wilenskie cemetery, which is one of the largest cemeteries in Innsbruck.
These cemeteries contain some of the monuments known families of Innsbruck, thus being a kind of monument.
Address Basilica Velten: Haymongasse, 6a / Pastorstraße, 694.
The Monastery Wilten
The monastery Wilten (Wilten Abbey, Stift Wilten) is a Premonstratensian monastery, founded in 1138, the year Bishop Reinbert von Brixen.
The building of the present monastery with a large collegiate Church, standing on the ruins of the Roman settlement of Veldidena.
Living in the Premonstratensian monastery played an important role in shaping the city and its environs for centuries.
The heyday of the monastery had on the 17th and 18th century.
The interior of the Cathedral Church of the monastery stands the splendor of the Baroque, with an eye to combine dark and light shades, as well as frescoes, stucco work, sculpture, the main altar and side chapels.
The Museum of the Abbey can be visited after registration for donation.
Address of the monastery Wilten: Klostergasse, 7.
The Bergisel Hill
Hill Berg isel (Bergisel), a height of 746 meters, is located in the southern part of the district Wilten.
In 1809, Bergisel was the site of the legendary battle - the four battles (the battle Bargielski) during the Tyrolean uprising under the command of the freedom fighter Andreas Hoffer.
Currently, the hill Bergisel is not only a historical place but also a place of recreation, Hiking trails and a place where the hills are some of the important sights of Innsbruck, including the observation deck (observation points) and the Museum Bergisel.
Some points of the hill with panoramic views of the area Wilten, Innsbruck in General and the North Tyrolean Alps (relative to Innsbruck).
- ski jump "Berg isel" (Bergiselschanze, the Bergisel Schanze) with Olympic history, built on the project of Zaha Hadid, which won the prestigious architectural prize for his masterpiece.
Currently jump Bergisel, in addition to its direct purpose, is the modern symbols of Innsbruck and a popular tourist attraction.
In the tower of jump is a panoramic restaurant "Bergisel Sky" with a glass facades from floor to ceiling and a viewing deck (panoramic terrace), granting a stunning overview of Innsbruck and the surrounding area. Read more about the jump Bergisel and the observation...
- regimental Museum of the Tyrolean Imperial Riflemen - Kaiserjager Museum, known as Museum Bergisel (Kaiserjägermuseum) and a new building - the Tirol Panorama which is also a Museum (Tirol Panorama Museum), which is a unified complex of the military historical Museum Bergisel.
The masterpiece of the Museum is a large panoramic painting, which reflects the Tyrolean struggle for freedom on 13 August 1809 with a picture of the events of 1 000 square meters in 360 degrees.
The Panorama Museum, among other things, also includes an underground permanent exhibition hall "Schauplatz Tirol" and access to the Museum Kaiserjager;
- panoramic tour of the Bergisel (Panoramarunde Bergisel) - equipped Hiking a circular route via Bergisel and has several observation points (the observation deck), including the hill, the valley and the Bergisel ski jump. Read more about Bergisel hill and its attractions...
Museum and the bell foundry is Grassmayr (Bell Museum of Great Bell Foundry / Glockengießerei Family) tells the story of a Tyrolean family craft in 14 generations, since, as Mortimer Grassmayr made his first bell in 1599, and where the ancient methods of manufacture combined with the latest technology.
The Museum presents a mix of old foundry hall, the evolution of bells and bell sound studios.
Today bells Grassmayr sound almost 100 countries around the world.
The cost of tickets and opening hours can be found on the website.
The address of the grassmayr glockenmuseum: Leopoldstraße, 53.
Tyrolean Museum Railways
Tyrolean railway Museum (Tiroler MuseumsBahnen) tells his guests about the history of rail transport in Tyrol.
The railway Museum is dedicated to collecting and documenting the history of railway vehicles.
The Museum: cars of the old trams, showing the development of public transport, old trains, as well as images and models, located in an old building and waiting in the service area of the former station Stubaitalbahn.
The Museum is open to visitors from early may to end of October every Saturday from 9:00 to 17:00 hours.
The exact opening hours and ticket prices can be found on the website.
Address Tyrolean Museum Railways: Pater-Reinisch-Weg 4.
Anatomical Museum of Innsbruck
In the anatomical Museum of the medical University of Innsbruck (Anatomisches Museum / Medizinische Universität Innsbruck) is represented by body parts, such as skeletons, bones, skulls, lungs, hearts, etc., aimed at the understanding of the work in the field of anatomy.
The Museum's opening hours can be found on the website.
The address of the Museum of anatomy: Müllerstraße, 59.
The building of the Tyrolean stained glass enterprises
Tyrolean stained glass and mosaic company (Tiroler Glasmalerei und Mosaik Anstalt) is located in a historic building at the address: Müllerstraße, 10.
Is a handicraft enterprise, founded in 1861 by Georg Madera, Josef von Stadler and albert Neuhauser that specializiruetsya on the manufacture and restoration of Church Windows and window glass.
Stained glass and mosaics from this workshop can be found in more than 4,000 churches and cathedrals around the world.
The Residence Of Augenweide
The residence of Ougenweide (Ansitz Augenweidstein) - hotel "Zum Riesen Haymon".
The 14th century was expanded graphs Lodron in the 17th century (1679 year) to create the residence. In 1852 Johann Gruber bought the property at auction and received from the Abbey Wilten permission to convert the building into a hotel "Zum Riesen Haymon".
The building still exists under a double name: Ansitz Augenweidstein - "Zum Riesen Haymon" and the Baroque portal and the facade of the 19th century.
Currently the historic building is the restaurant.
Home address: Haymongasse, 4.
The people's house
Building Leuchars (Leuthaus) is historical and stands out simply by portals and a small Central window Bay.
Currently, the building is famous choir of boys and men Wilten Boyce (Wiltener Sängerknaben), whose history dates back to the 13th century. Website: saengerknaben.
Address Leuchars: Klostergasse, 1.
Casino Innsbruck (Innsbruck Casino) was opened in 1992 and is considered one of the most popular casinos in Austria, which is ensured by its location in the city centre, its modern architecture and stylish interior.
The casino offers also includes slot machines, a restaurant and offers a variety of activities: playing themed evenings, cabarets, concerts, charity festivals, lectures, etc.
The website of the casino: casinos.
Casino address: Salurner Strasse 15.
Christmas markets in Wilthen
On the eve of Christmas and New year one of the most visited places in Innsbruck be the Christmas markets.
In the area Wilten are two small Christmas markets, where organized points sell drinks, food, Souvenirs and other products.
1. A small Christmas market on the square Wiltener (Wiltener Platzl).
2. Larger fair on the hill Bergisel, situated between the buildings of the Museum: Museum Bergisel and Tirol Panorama. Read more about all Christmas markets in Innsbruck...
Photo district Wilten
District Viltan on the map
Where to stay in the area Wilten
The 4-star AC Hotel by Marriott Innsbruck, located close to casino Innsbruck.
In the hotel: free Wi-Fi, a shared lounge, restaurant, bar, fitness centre and Parking.
In rooms: air conditioning, Soundproofed Windows and a 44-inch LCD TV with HD TV and free Sky channels.
Room rates may include Breakfast. Link to the hotel
The 3-star ibis Innsbruck with a lobby bar, free Wi-Fi and free Parking.
Room rates may include Breakfast. Link to the hotel
The hotel Nala Individuellhotel with Italian restaurant, bar, fitness centre with infrared sauna, free Wi-Fi, - hour reception and a terrace with views of the surrounding mountains.
In room: wooden floor, bathroom, Nespresso coffee machine, a fridge and a flat-screen TV. Some rooms have a balcony. Link to the hotel
Apartments INNSBRUCK CITY APARTMENTS with free Wi-Fi and a balcony.
The apartmentfeatures a patio, a kitchen with a dishwasher, a Seating area with a sofa, flat-screen TV and a private bathroom with a shower. Features a microwave, refrigerator, oven, kettle and coffee machine. The link apartments
Zentrale apartments Altbauwohnung mit Flair with free Wi-Fi and private Parking on site.
In the apartment: a bedroom, a kitchen with a dishwasher and a refrigerator, bathroom with shower, Hairdryer and washing machine. The link apartments
All accommodation in Innsbruck, including in the area Wilten and in the surrounding area, you can view and book here