The 2nd Garden Bridge (the second Garden Bridge) is one of the bridges in the historical center of St. Petersburg.
The bridge is located in the most beautiful place of St. Petersburg and is surrounded by famous parks and architectural monuments: St. Michael's Garden, the Field of Mars, the historic Adamini House, the Church of the Savior on Spilled Blood and a uniqueThe three-bridge of St. Petersburg. Near the bridge there is a beautifulA summer garden with fountains and sculptures, as well asMikhailovsky (Engineering) Castle is a former imperial palace, within the walls of which a museum is now located.
The 2nd Garden Bridge spans the Moika River, and connects the Spassky and the 1st Admiralty Islands.
"2nd", the bridge is called because there is another Garden Bridge upstream of the Moika River and the bridge, only the 1st.
The 2nd Garden Bridge has a total length of 30.2 meters and a width of 20.5 meters.
The bridge is a single-span reinforced concrete structure, the span of which is made in the form of a three-hinged frame, with a curved outline of the lower belt from the facades.
The abutments of the bridge are massive reinforced concrete, lined with granite.
The railings are cast iron, artistic casting. On the bars of the fences there are overhead details with the image of the armor of ancient warriors.
The bridge is illuminated by 4 hexagonal lanterns placed on cast-iron floor lamps, which, in turn, are mounted on granite pedestals. The floor lamps of the lanterns are made in the form of bundles of spades with overlays of shields and wreaths and are crowned with double-headed eagles.
The 2nd Garden Bridge is a roadway and pedestrian. Pedestrian sidewalks are located on both sides of the bridge.
Upstream of the Moika River from the 2nd Garden Bridge is the 1st Garden Bridge, and below-the Malo-Konyushenny Bridge and the Theater Bridge, which are part of the unique Three-Bridge of St. Petersburg (Triple Bridge).
View of the Moika River
View of the 1st Garden Bridge
View of the Three-bridge
Next to the 2nd Garden Bridge stands a historic building-the Adamini house, which was built in 1823-1827 for the merchant Antonov, according to the project of the Russian architect and engineer of Swiss origin Domenico Adamini.
After the merchant Antonov, the building is sometimes called the Antonov house, and the generally recognized name is the Adamini house, which the building received from the name of its architect.
Address of the Adamini house: Moika Embankment, 1 / Aptekarsky Lane, 8 / Field of Mars, 7.
The history of the 2nd Garden Bridge
The first wooden bridge just downstream of the Moika River was built in the first quarter of the 18th century. Since 1738, it was called "Krasny", because in the alignment of the bridge there was a Red Channel, dug between the Moika and the Bolshaya Neva to drain the territory in the 1710s and filled in in the 1780s. Then the bridge was called "Tsaritsynsky", according to Tsaritsyn Meadow (now the Field of Mars) and "Theater", according to the "Free Russian Theater" located nearby. In 1828, the bridge was dismantled in connection with the construction plan of the "Three-Bridge".
The first bridge on the site of the current 2nd Garden Bridge was built in 1876 and was a single-span iron girder bridge with through open trusses on cast-iron piles, intended for the horse-drawn railway. However, this crossing did not last long.
In 1933, a new three-span wooden bridge was built on metal trusses with a wooden railing. A tram was running on the bridge.
The bridge did not have a name for a long time, and only in 1957 it received the name "2nd Garden" - for the surrounding gardens and parks.
In 1961, on the initiative of engineer P. P. Stepnov, cast-iron grilles of artistic casting were restored on the bridge instead of a wooden fence. The works were carried out according to the project of architects I. N. Benois and A. E. Polyakov.
In 1966-1967, according to the project of architect L. A. Noskov, the wooden bridge was rebuilt into a single-span reinforced concrete one. The preserved historical railings of the former wooden bridge were installed on the bridge.
In 1970, the architectural details on the bridge were gilded.
In 1985, an elevated granite curb was installed.
In 1998-1999, the bridge was completely repaired and tram tracks were removed from it, beams and spans were also strengthened, waterproofing was replaced, facades, lamp floor lamps and railing were restored.
Coordinates of the 2nd Garden Bridge: 59°56'29.0" N 30°19'48.0" E (59.941389, 30.330000).
All accommodation facilities in St. Petersburg, including in the city center and more remotely from it, can be viewed and booked here