Novo-Konyushenny Bridge is one of the bridges in the historical center of St. Petersburg.
The bridge is famous, first of all, for the fact that near it there are: the Savior on Blood and the unique Three-Bridge of the city (Triple Bridge).
The Novo-Konyushenny Bridge spans the Griboyedov Canal in the alignment of Konyushennaya Square, and connects the Kazan and Spassky Islands.
The name "Novo-Konyushenny" bridge was named after the nearby Konyushennaya Square.
Near the bridge, on the embankment of the Griboyedov Canal, there is the Church of the Resurrection of Christ, known as the Savior on Blood, which was erected in 1883-1907 by decree of Emperor Alexander III on the place where his father, Emperor Alexander II, was mortally wounded on March 1, 1881. Learn more about the Savior on Blood…
View of the Griboyedov Canal, the Savior on Spilled Blood (right) and the Novo-Konyushenny Bridge
Across the street from the Savior on Spilled Blood, on the opposite side at the Novo-Konyushenny Bridge, there is a chapel of the Iversky Icon of the Mother of God, which is the building of the Sacristy of the Savior on Spilled Blood and now acts as a museum. More about the chapel-museum of the Iverskaya Icon of the Mother of God…
The Novo-Konyushenny bridge has a total length of 21.1 meters and a width of 35 meters.
The bridge is a single-span structure of a reinforced concrete frame-cantilever system of unified blocks. The superstructure has a curved outline of the lower belt. The support frame is made in the form of consoles connected by an imperfect hinge. The reinforced concrete slab is included in the work of the main beams.
The abutments of the bridge are massive reinforced concrete, on a pile base, lined with granite.
The railing of the bridge is a forged metal lattice made in the Art Nouveau style.
Novo-Konyushenny Bridge is a roadway and pedestrian.
Pedestrian sidewalks are located on both sides of the bridge.
The sidewalk is separated from the roadway by a granite curb.
The Novo-Konyushenny Bridge offers beautiful views of the Griboyedov Canal, the canal embankments, as well as the Theater and Italian bridges.
View of the Griboyedov Canal and the Theater Bridge
View of the Italian Bridge
The history of the Novo-Konyushenny Bridge
The first wooden beam bridge on this site was erected in 1883 during the construction of the Church of the Resurrection of Christ. Then the width of the crossing was 115 meters, and it was the widest bridge in St. Petersburg.
When the church was consecrated and opened in 1907, the bridge was named "the bridge of the Church of the Resurrection of the Lord". After the revolution of 1917, the bridge was called "Bridge-overlap" for a long time, in accordance with its functional purpose. In May 1975, the bridge was named "Grinevitsky Bridge" in honor of the people's Will-the murderer of Emperor Alexander II. In January 1998, the bridge received its current name - "Novo-Konyushenny".
In 1912, the bridge was rebuilt into a span, strut system, and was expanded to 117 meters.
In 1939, the bridge was rebuilt again. The width of the bridge after the repair ceased to be a record and amounted to 36.5 meters.
The bridge that we can see today was built in 1967 according to the project of engineers Yu. L.Yurkov, L. N. Sobolev and architect L. A. Noskov. At that time, the design of the bridge was innovative.
Once upon a time, trams used to go over the bridge. In July 2012, the tram rails on the bridge and Konyushennaya Square were finally dismantled.
During the history of the bridge, it was subjected to restoration and repair work.
Coordinates of the Novo-Konyushenny Bridge: 59°56'26.0" N 30°19'42.0" E (59.940556, 30.328333).
The nearest metrostations are Nevsky Prospekt, Gostiny Dvor and Admiralteiskaya.
All accommodation facilities in St. Petersburg, including in the city center and more remotely from it, can be viewed and booked here