The New Residence (Neue Residenz Bamberg) is one of the historic buildings in the center of Bamberg, which previously served as the residence of the archbishops of the Bamberg ecclesiastical Principality.
Today, the historical residence houses: the state gallery, the library and the rose garden between the wings of the residence.
The construction of the New residence was started at the beginning of the 17th century, when it replaced the nearby The old court, which has become small for bishops.
The construction of the New Residence took place in two stages for more than 100 years. Under Prince-Bishop Johann Philipp von Gebzattel, the rear part of the new residence with two wings was built in the Renaissance style (from 1602), while the front part of the Baroque residence was erected from 1697 to 1703 under the leadership of Prince-Bishop Lothar Franz von Schoenborn with the help of Leonard Dinzenhofer.
Until 1802, the New Residence served as the residence of the Prince-Bishops of Bamberg. As a result of secularization, the residence of the Bamberg prince-bishops passed to the Bavarian Wittelsbachs and since 1803 it has been a royal residence.
After the revolution ended the rule of the Wittelsbachs, and Munich in 1919 "plunged into chaos", the elected state parliament and the government moved to Bamberg, where the revolutionary upheavals were much less noticeable than in Munich. Prime Minister Johannes Hoffmann and some government offices have taken up residence in the New Residence. After the departure of the government in the same year, the residence was no longer used primarily as a place of residence and representation, but began to turn into a museum.
Today, the residence building is one of the main attractions of Bamberg. It has several interconnected wings (sandstone buildings), which form a long zigzag structure with architectural portals and various discreet decorations.
Within the walls of Bamberg's New Residence
Today, the walls of the New Residence house: the State Gallery of Bamberg (Staatsgalerie von Bamberg) and since 1966 the State Library of Bamberg (Staatsbibliothek Bamberg).
The Bamberg State Gallery presents almost 50 halls and rooms of the late 17th and 18th centuries in various styles, where art treasures of more than four centuries are presented, from late Gothic to historicism, including more than 500 pieces of furniture, painting, sculpture and textile art.
The gallery especially stands out: the Imperial Hall (der Kaisersaal), the gallery of collections of Bavarian state paintings with departments of Old German and Baroque styles, as well as sculptures in the Rococo style by Ferdinand Titz. Special attention is drawn to the apartments of the Prince-bishop, which are a sequence of rooms on the ground floor, furnished as the last apartment of Prince-Bishop Lothar Franz von Schoenborn (ruled in 1693-1729).
The Imperial Hall is also available for rent, for receptions, concerts and various ceremonies.
The Bamberg State Library is located in the east wing of the New Residence and has largely preserved the halls of the former residence with stucco and frescoes.
There are guided tours of the library.
Rose Garden in Bamberg's New Residence
Between the wings of the New residence (courtyard) there is a beautiful rose garden (rose garden, Rosengarten Bamberg / Rosengarten Bamberg).
The Baroque garden was created in the 18th century on the site of a Renaissance garden. The garden was laid out under Prince-Bishop Friedrich Karl von Schoenborn, and several generations of craftsmen worked on its layout, including the famous Balthazar Neumann.
In its current form, the rosary has existed since the 60s of the 18th century - after the installation of statues on the themes of ancient mythology (sculptor Ferdinand Titz).
Roses grow in the garden (about 4,500 roses of 50 different varieties), lime trees, paths are broken, there are sculptures and a memorial to Otto and his wife Amalia in a blind arch in the wall with an inscription in Greek and German.
The Rococo garden pavilion, designed by the builder Johann Jakob Michael Kuchel, now houses a cafe with outdoor tables.
The rose garden offers a wonderful panoramic view of Bamberg, as well as Michelsberg with the former Benedictine monastery.
Entrance to the rose garden is free (free). Opening hours: from April 01 to September 30 from 09:00 to 18:00; from October 01 to March 31 from 10:00 to 16:00. Attention! These conditions may change, we recommend that you clarify the information before visiting.
New residence and rose garden with cafe on the plan
The new residence is located in the historical center of Bamberg, on Cathedral Square (Domplatz), near Bamberg Cathedral (Bamberger Dom) and The old Courtyard (Alte Hofhaltung) with half-timbered houses, a historical museum and a theater.
Coordinates of the New Residence of Bamberg: 49°53'30.0"N 10°52'57.0"E (49.891667, 10.882500).
Website of the State Gallery (New Residence): residenz-bamberg.
Website of the Bamberg State Library: staatsbibliothek-bamberg.
All accommodation facilities in Bamberg, including in the historical center of the city and more remotely from it, can be viewed and booked here