Nassau House (Nassauer Haus / Nassauer House), also known as the Schlusselfelder Foundation House (Schlusselfeldersche Stiftungshaus) is a medieval residential tower, which is one of the most famous and significant sights of Nuremberg.
The Nassau House is the only surviving residential tower in Nuremberg, which was not completely destroyed (but badly damaged) during World War II and which is considered one of the oldest buildings and one of the few examples of Romanesque architecture in the city.
The building has a defensive character only from the point of view of symbolic and decorative significance.
The Nassau House has a corner location and is built in a row with other buildings. It is made of red sandstone on the model of northern Italian residential towers. It has four floors and a gallery, which is crowned by a high roof.
The two lower floors and the vaulted cellar (basement) of the tower date from the beginning of the 13th century and testify to the Romanesque architecture of Nuremberg. In 1422-1433, the upper floors were added, including an architectural bay window and a crenellated stone balustrade with a frieze of the coat of arms, octagonal corner escrera turrets and "royal" attribution. The upper part of the tower demonstrates typical elements of Gothic architecture.
An important external architectural change to the Nassau house is the installation of arched openings on the ground floor in 1836, one of which was enlarged to a door around 1900.
The name "Nassauer Haus" has been used for the building only since the 19th century and is based on an erroneous reference to the King of Germany Adolf of Nassau.
Nothing is known about the original owners of the building. However, originally the house was probably the residence of the royal administrators (Ministeriales).
Subsequently, during the history, the building belonged to several owners, including Peter Stromer. In 1426, the building belonged to the brothers Erasmus and Heinrich Schurstab.
From 1427 to 1450, the building belonged to the aristocratic Ortlieb family from Nuremberg, and then was in the hands of the Haller von Hallerstein family.
Since 1581, the house belonged to the Schlusselfelder family, who made the residential tower their headquarters in Nuremberg.
In 1709, the building was transferred to the Schlusselfelderschen Familienstiftung family foundation, which still owns the tower.
Many of the owners of the tower house made some changes to its appearance.
The tower was badly damaged by American bombing in 1945. The reconstruction took place in 1950-1954 under the direction of Rudo Geschel on behalf of the Schlusselfeldersen Family Foundation.
Currently, the Nassau House is a historical architectural monument and is used for administrative purposes.
In the old vaulted cellar of the house of Nassau there is a restaurant "Nassauer Keller zu Nürnberg" with traditional German dishes.
The Nassau House is located in the historical center of Nuremberg, on the corner of Lorenzplatz Square, which also houses the Church of St. Lawrence (Kirche St. Lorenz), between the streets of Königstrasse and Karolinenstrasse.
The distance from Nuremberg Central Station (Nürnberg Central Station / Nürnberg Hauptbahnhof) to the house of Nassau is 650 meters - 8-10 minutes on foot.
Address of the house of Nassau: Karolinenstraße 2, 90402 Nürnberg, Deutschland.
Coordinates: 49°27'4"N 11°4'39"E.
- hotel-apartments Melter Hotel & Apartments - a Neighborhood Hotel with free Wi-Fi in all areas, a restaurant, a fitness center, luggage storage and parking.
The rooms are equipped with air conditioning, a flat-screen TV. Some units have a seating area and/or a kitchenette. Featuring a shower, private bathrooms also come with free toiletries and a hairdryer.
Breakfast may be included in the room rate. Link to the hotel
- Apartment Centr Apartments Nürnberg with free Wi-Fi, heating and city views.
The apartment has 2 bedrooms, a living room, a flat-screen TV, an equipped kitchen with a refrigerator and a stove, a washing machine and a bathroom with a shower. Link to the apartment
- Lorenz Apartments with free Wi-Fi, heating and elevator.
There is a bedroom, a kitchen with a dining area, a microwave, a refrigerator, a stove, a kettle, a coffee machine and a bathroom with a hairdryer and a shower. Link to the apartment
All accommodation facilities in Nuremberg, including in the city center and near the Nassau House, can be viewed and booked here