Naryshkin Bastion - a former defensive structure of the Peter and Paul Fortress in St. Petersburg (Zayachy Island), intended for conducting frontal and flanking fire.
Naryshkin bastion is decorated with a Flanking tower (Flag Tower).
Today, museums are located within the walls of the bastion, and on the roof of the bastion there is a panoramic route "Nevsky Panorama", which everyone can walk along.
The original construction of the Naryshkin bastion, as well as the entire Peter and Paul Fortress, took place since 1703, and then the fortress structures, including to save time, were built of wood and earth (wood-earth fortifications).
The bastion was named "Naryshkin" in honor of one of the curators of the construction of the fortress, an associate of Peter I - Kirill Naryshkin. From 1728 to 1731, the bastion was called "Empress Catherine I".
The construction of the bastion in stone took place in 1725-1728 according to the project of the architect and fortifier engineer D. Trezzini and military engineer B.-H. Minich. The Nevsky facade of the bastion in 1779-1780, designed by engineer R. R. Tomilov, was faced with granite slabs. In the facades and flanks there were two-tier casemates, which in the second half of the 19th century were rebuilt in single-tier. In the right flank, a sortia was arranged - an exit outside the fortress - for communication with the bank of the Neva.
In the 18th and mid - 19th centuries, the casemates of the bastion were adapted for the production and warehouses of the Mint. At the beginning of 1826, ten solitary cells were equipped in the left flank, where the Decembrists were kept during the investigation. In the late 19th and early 20th centuries, barracks were built in the casemates for the Izhora reserve and Sapper battalions, a rifle regiment and a fortress artillery company. On October 25, 1917, a signal was given to the cruiser Aurora from the Naryshkin bastion about the beginning of an armed uprising.
Today, the Naryshkin bastion is an integral part of the Peter and Paul Fortress and has a pentagonal shape with two front walls - facades and two side walls - flanks.
In the walls of the Bastion are: gift shop, exhibition hall and Museum of science and technology, which is a collection of objects related to various fields of technology and scientific knowledge - a kind of retrospective appliances, measuring, computing, optical devices, vehicles, and other technical devices used by the St. Petersburg-Leningraders in work and in everyday life from the mid 19th to late 20th centuries. Learn more about the Museum of Science and Technology...
In 1957, the tradition of a daily midday blank shot from the Naryshkin Bastion, which dates back to the 18th century, was revived.
The ceremony of the symbolic noon (at 12:00 o'clock) firing of cannons takes place today.
There are also cannons near the bastion.
On the bastion there is a voluminous Flagpole tower, built in 1731-1733 according to the project of the military engineer B.-X. Minich.
The imperial monogram was attached to the flagpole and the fortress flag was raised, and on holidays and during the visit of the emperor to the fortress - the royal standard. In the tower were kept the flags and the keys to the fortress gates.
The tradition of raising the fortress flag, which was lost after the revolution, was revived in 2000.
Inside, the tower room is a room surrounded on all sides by "view" windows. Presentations, conferences, cocktails, coffee breaks, on-site marriage registrations and various programs, including "dinner for two", can now be held in the tower.
You can climb to the roof of the Naryshkin bastion, where the panoramic route "Nevsky Panorama" is laid on wooden bridges, which runs along the roof of the fortress wall from Naryshkin to Gosudaryova bastionov.
The ascent to the roof can be carried out for a fee, from the inner wall of the bastion - by stairs. There is also a cash register here. Learn more about the Nevsky Panorama...
View of the territory of the Peter and Paul Fortress from the Naryshkin bastion-the bell tower is visible Peter and Paul Cathedral.
View of the Nevsky facade of the Naryshkin bastion, lined with granite.
View of the beach, part of the Nevsky facade of the Naryshkin Bastion, the Flagpole Tower and the fortress wall of the Peter and Paul Fortress from the Alekseevsky Ravelin.
Naryshkin Bastion is located in the southern central part of the Peter and Paul Fortress - near the waters of the Neva River, at the address: Peter and Paul Fortress, 3.
Naryshkin bastion on the scheme of the Peter and Paul Fortress
The entrance to the territory of the Peter and Paul Fortress is free (free of charge).
You can also visit the Peter and Paul Fortress with one of the excursions
Nearest metro stations: "Gorkovskaya" and "Sportivnaya".
All accommodation facilities in Saint Petersburg, including in the city center and near the Peter and Paul Fortress, can be viewed and booked here