Memmelsdorf (Memmelsdorf) is a community (municipality) in Germany, located in the Upper Franconia of Bavaria.
Memmelsdorf is a small and peaceful settlement that borders the famous city of Bamberg, famous for its historical center, smoked beer and known as the beer town of Franconia.
In Memmelsdorf and the surrounding area there are breweries, restaurants with traditional Frankish cuisine, cafes, shops and hotels
The main attraction of Memmelsdorf, which is visited from nearby cities, is the Seehof Palace (Schloss Seehof) - the former summer residence of the prince-bishops of Bamberg.
Seehof Castle was built in 1686-1896 on the site of a hunting lodge, as a summer residence and hunting estate in the early Baroque style of the Bamberg Prince-Bishop Marquard Sebastian Schenck von Stauffenberg designed by Antonio Petrini.
Today, most of the palace is used by the Bavarian State Office for the Protection of Monuments; some halls can be visited. Weddings are held in the former palace chapel; the premises can be rented for private events.
The palace is surrounded by the Seehof Park (Schlosspark Seehof) with an area of 21 hectares, with alleys, lawns, bosquettes, a parterre, a lake, sculptures, a cascade fountain and former greenhouses, where a cafe is now located. More about the Seehof Palace and Park...
The parish Catholic Church of the Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary (Kath. Kirche Mariä Himmelfahrt) stands out from the churches, on the territory near which the parish priest's house of the 17th century is located.
The church has been known since the beginning of the 14th century. Later, the church was enlarged and rebuilt.
The church received its present appearance in the Baroque style during the reconstruction carried out between 1706 and 1709.
The oldest part of the building is the choir tower on the east side.
The interior of the one-nave shrine demonstrates a rich Baroque style.
The stucco ceiling of Johann Jakob Vogel with the image of the Assumption of the Virgin, the pulpit with gilded carvings, two side altars from 1760, a wooden organ gallery, an organ and figures of saints carved by Sebastian Degler stand out. Today's high altar was created in 1964, and it hails from the Poor Klar Monastery in Bamberg.
The Church of the Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary is closed from the street by a wall, which depicts figures of angels and saints created by Ferdinand Dietz.
- architectural monument - the Gasthof Drei Kronen.
The building was first mentioned in 1457, when a tailor bought it. In 1748, the current building was built. Even before the Second World War, the house had a courtyard with a brewery and a restaurant. After the war, the former servants' quarters were converted into hotel rooms. In the 1970s, the hotel was expanded and the production activities were modernized. The last major restructuring was carried out in 2017, when the roof of the adjacent building was rebuilt.
Today it is with a brewery, a restaurant serving traditional Franconian cuisine, a sunbathing terrace, free Wi-Fi and spacious rooms with rustic furniture. Breakfast is included in the room rate. Link to the hotel
- the former railway station of the now dismantled Bamberg-Schesslitz railway, on which Memmelsdorf had a railway station. Traffic was stopped in 1985, and a bicycle path was built on the section from Memmelsdorf to Scheßlitz.
You can get to Memmelsdorf from Bamberg on foot, from other cities plus by bus, taxi or car.
The coordinates of the Memmelsdorf center are: 49°55'58.0"N 10°57'12.0"E (49.932778, 10.953333).
All accommodation facilities in Memmelsdorf can be viewed and booked here
All accommodation facilities in Bamberg, including in the historical center of the city and more remotely from it, can be viewed and booked here
Memmelsdorf on the map