Because Germany is a country not cheap, but at the time of the festival, housing prices in Munich soared to sky-high, for our purse limits, and remained a small selection of hotels, decided to live near Munich in a small town, and the in Munich to come to the festival.
Considered a few small equidistant from Munich cities. The choice fell on Memmingen that 115 kilometers from Munich. How to get from Memmingen to Munich and back, thus saving about forty euros, you can go here. All this article is not about that.
Preparing for the trip I thought, what is Memmingen unknown small town, probably just like a large village, but Oh well let's wait and rest from the bustle, in the end will just walk through the streets of the city. Then how we were wrong. Memmingen has surpassed all our expectations, we are still with awe and warm memories of those wonderful days spent in this town. I get the chance, we'll pass by, be sure to look at it yet.
Memmingen is a beautiful city, getting into it, the impression that he was in a fairy tale. All these multi-colored gingerbread houses lined up in a row, clean streets, glass Windows of shops and cafes, such as glass stops, and in the evening everything is lit by hundreds of colored lights.
We were particularly impressed by the clean streets, smooth roads, calm and smiling locals leisurely strolling through the streets of the city. Have the impression that in this city nobody is in a hurry, life goes on slowly, and every resident receives only positive emotions.
The Central street of the city, where the lives and there are many public institutions and shops is the Maximilianstrasse.
The Church and the small square next to it
Stop and Bicycle Parking. The main mode of transport in the city is a Bicycle. Cyclists in the city, well, a lot, they are equipped with Bicycle Parking lot.
A small river in the city. In the river floating ducks and a symbol of the city of Memmingen.
Apartments on the first floors of houses near the river have a second outlet to the water's edge. Glass doors lead directly to the river, on the shore where people have tables and chairs, children play. All of these things and glass doors free access for anyone and not think of taking someone else or to damage property. Even in town many doors for homes glass or thin wood, the fences low.
One of the restaurants. In General, the city has a lot of cafes, restaurants and bakeries. If you are wondering where to eat in Memmingen, this information look here.
But a bakery. What delicious German coffee and pastries. They liked the famous Italian.
Restaurant in the building of interesting architecture
Walk through the streets on
Amazingly beautiful building with a clock. This elegant structure built in 1589 in Renaissance style, with three domed towers of City hall/Rathaus.
Two original buildings. The first one is striking and very impressive with its bright facade, Starhaus (Steuerhaus), the former building of the Guild of tax collectors.
A small square with a statue in the center. On the square were repaired - changed tile.
The fountain in the same square (the square Schrannenplatz)
Old Church tower with the clock stamp at the top. This Gothic beauty is nothing like Church. Martin/St.-Martins-Kirche, of the 15th century. The clock shows the exact time. I think this is one of the main attractions of the city. They say the decoration of the Church is impressive, but we, unfortunately, did not manage to get inside.
We think it's the same Church, only in a very modern style (with the inverted cross on the roof of the building).
In Memmingen there is a Park with a pond -Stadtpark Neue Welt. The Park is the same as the whole city is quiet and peaceful. Details about the Park we wrote about in an earlier article.
Where to stay in Memmingen. Hotels, apartments Memmingen
Memmingen is a small town, so accommodation options in the city not so much, but they are all of decent quality and is situated in the city center. Besides, prices for hotels and apartments in Memmingen lower than in the neighbouring Bavarian capital city of Munich.
From placements in the centre of Memmingen, you can select the following:
Hotel RiKu HOTEL Schweizerberg. Cozy and quiet hotel with comfortable rooms located in the heart of the Old town. All rooms are decorated in a modern style. Extras include a Desk and a flat-screen satellite TV. The modern bathroom includes a Hairdryer and free toiletries. For a small additional fee you can order Breakfast. What is remarkable is the fact that below the hotel there is a beautiful restaurant with German and European cuisine. The restaurant also serves pizza in a wood oven. We have stayed at this hotel, everything was excellent. About the hotel and the restaurant said in one of previous articles, to read and see pictures here.
the best apartments in the city centre equivalent to 5 star hotel are Apartment Storchenfärbe. It features modern holiday homes and apartments with a garden. It offers free Wi-Fi. All apartments have a separate living room with a sofa and a spacious modern bathroom. Guests can prepare their own meals in the kitchens with a dishwasher, a coffee machine and a dining area. Also includes all apartments have a dining area outdoors.
4 star hotels in the centre of Memmingen:
- Restaurant & Hotel Engelkeller. This hotel offers modern rooms, free Parking and a restaurant serving local cuisine. The hotel is situated in the center of Memmingen is only a 10 minute walk from the train station. All rooms are equipped with a flat-screen TV with cable channels, a Minibar and a private bathroom. Every morning the hotel serves a Breakfast buffet in German style. Breakfast is included in room rates. In the evenings, the Engelkeller restaurant serves Swabian specialities and seasonal dishes.
- Drexels Parkhotel is located in the centre of Memmingen, near the town hall. It offers a Spa centre and free Wi-Fi. All rooms are equipped with flat-screen TVs. It offers a sauna and a Solarium. Breakfast is available for an additional fee.
- Hotel Weisses Ross. This hotel is a hit in the city of Memmingen. This family-run hotel located in a historic building of the XV century listed monuments. It offers superb rooms and 2 restaurants. Throughout the hotel offers free Wi-Fi. Rooms are decorated with wooden furniture and feature a flat-screen TV. On request rooms with air conditioning. For an additional fee you can order Breakfast buffet. This hotel also has two restaurants and is popular with locals the pub Bavarian Bierstube.
- design hotel Hotel Falken offers Soundproofed rooms, with air conditioning and private bathrooms with free toiletries and a Hairdryer. Room rates include Breakfast buffet.
Other hotels in the centre of Memmingen:
The 3 - star hotel RiKu HOTEL Hallhof. All rooms are decorated in a modern style and feature a flat-screen TV. The room includes a private bathroom with a Hairdryer. At the hotel bar. For a small additional fee you can order Breakfast.
- Hotel am Schrannenplatz. This hotel is a little distance from the rest, but still in the immediate walking area of the new center Memmingen. High-quality rooms include HD TV with satellite channels. The hotel has a restaurant serving traditional Bavarian and home-cooked meals. Breakfast can be ordered for an additional fee.
Where to stay in Memmingen near the airport Allgau, hotels
From the airport to the city centre of Memmingen can be easily reached on foot in 25-30 minutes. So does it make sense to stay near the airport when it is possible for one to venture out and explore the beautiful Bavarian town. At least we would advise you to stay in the center of the city. But still, suddenly someone come in handy!
- the closest hotel to the airport Memmingen is a 3-star hotel is called Airport Hotel Berger's Park. This hotel is located in a large Park near the airport, Allgau. It offers modern rooms with Soundproofed Windows and flat-screen TVs. Includes extra-long beds and a sofa, and views of the countryside. The hotel has a restaurant located near the main hotel building, serves German and international cuisine. For an additional fee you can order Breakfast.
apartment Allgäu Apartment is located a little beyond the first hotel, about a kilometer from the airport and 2 kilometers from the Old town of Memmingen. It features a seasonal indoor pool, a children's Playground and free Wi-Fi. Living room features a TV with cable channels and a DVD player. The kitchen is fully equipped with a microwave and an extra TV and there are BBQ facilities. Extras include a washing machine, tumble dryer, freezer and a dishwasher. In the kitchen you can prepare homemade meals. The furnished outdoor terrace are perfect for Breakfast or evening meal with drinks.