Svetlogorsk, until 1946 Rauschen (German name Rauschen).
Rauschen was a popular seaside resort located in the northern part of the German province of East Prussia, with clean air and fascinating views of the Baltic Sea.
Raushen took the first vacationers back in the early 19th century, near the Mill Ponds (now Lake Tikhoe). The city began to develop actively in the first years of the 20th century, when the construction of the resort began, such significant objects as the Raushen railway stations were erected/Ort" (now Svetlogorsk-1) and "Raushen/Dune" (now Svetlogorsk-2), the first promenade along the sea appeared, to which several descents led, and the Koenigsberzhtsy began to build villas near the coast.
Currently, Svetlogorsk is a developing city, positioned as a resort, tourist, cultural and business center. It is a resort town of federal significance, located on the Baltic Sea coast, about 38-40 kilometers from the center of Kaliningrad.
The Svetlogorsk district, as a Municipal formation, in addition to the city of Svetlogorsk, also includes the settlements of Otradnoe, Primorye, Lesnoye and Donskoe.
Nature and climate of Svetlogorsk
The climate of the resort is moderate, with mild winters and moderately warm summers.
In addition, the resort is known for its mineral springs and healing peat mud.
Svetlogorsk is defined as a garden city and a natural arboretum. About 1200 species of plants and shrubs grow in the city, both heat-loving southern and more northern, coniferous: maple, linden, acacia, barberry, magnolia, sakura, forsythia, rhododendron, etc.
All this - the sea, a mild climate and an abundance of greenery, favors the possibility of recreation and outdoor walks all year round.
Beach and promenade in Svetlogorsk
There is no beach on most of the coast of the center of Svetlogorsk.
The non-stretched section of the beach strip is located on the west side of the promenade, below the Svetlogorsk-2 railway station.
On the beach there is fine light sand mixed with large boulders and pebbles. The approach to the sea is quite gentle, the depth comes gradually.
On the beach: a cafe, a point for the sale of soft drinks, sun loungers, changing cabins, a shower, rescuers are on duty in high season, places for first aid services are equipped. There are toilets on the promenade near the beach.
The promenade in Svetlogorsk is an extended embankment running along the sea line.
In places, a narrow strip of sand can be seen near the promenade.
The promenade originates right next to the beach and stretches along the entire resort.
On the embankment: car Parking (near the beach), cafes and restaurants, places to relax and latkes with souvenirs.
One of the best hotels in Svetlogorsk is located directly on the embankment: the 5-star Grand Palace Hotel and the Seestern Hotel.
On the promenade are notable:
- the bronze sculpture "Siren", which has won the hearts of many and is the hallmark of the promenade and one of the attractions of Svetlogorsk;
- bronze sculpture "Nymph", created by Hermann Brachert in 1938. The mosaic shell located around the sculpture was made in the 1980s;
- Zodiac sundial installed on the promenade in 1974. The work of the sculptor Nikolai Pavlovich Frolov.
The diameter of the clock is 10 meters, its base is made in the form of a mosaic panel depicting the signs of the zodiac. Learn more about the beaches and the promenade in Svetlogorsk...
Cable car and descents to the sea
The relief of Svetlogorsk is medium-hilly, as a result of which the coastline (beach and promenade) is located under the slope of the hill, while the main urban infrastructure is located on the hill.
Descents to the sea in Svetlogorsk are presented:
- several equipped staircases, each of which is interesting in its own way, for example:
- serpentine descent, which many consider the most beautiful and romantic.
The descent was built in 1938, it is a winding pedestrian line consisting of an inclined road and steps running through the dense vegetation of the hillside.
The descent begins at the end of Oktyabrskaya Street, near the building of the former Kurhaus and a memorial sign to Thomas Mann and leads to the sea promenade and the beach of Svetlogorsk;
The central staircase, built in 1973, is a wide, slightly winding staircase consisting of 265 steps and rising to a height of 36 meters.
The upper landing of the stairs is located at the intersection of the Central Square with Dynamo Street;
- driveway, Coastal lane;
The upper station of the cable car is located behind the Svetlogorsk-2 railway station, and the lower one is right on the promenade, at its western end, near the Svetlogorsk beach.
The Central street and the Central square of Svetlogorsk
The central street of the city is Lenin Street.
The street crosses the entire city center, runs above the line of the beach and the promenade of Svetlogorsk and stretches from Beregovaya Street to the intersection with Kaliningrad Avenue.
The busiest part of Lenin Street stretches from the Svetlogorsk-2 railway station to the Central Square of Svetlogorsk.
Souvenir shops, cafes and restaurants are located on this stretch of the street. Learn more about Lenin Street in Svetlogorsk...
The central square of Svetlogorsk is one of the most beautiful and favorite places for walking and recreation, both among local residents and guests of the city.
The central square is surrounded by stylized buildings in which shops, souvenir shops and cafes are located.
On the central square are noteworthy: a love bench; a small fountain; an ornamental apple tree with amber apples; a model of Kneiphof Island, now Kant Island, located in the center of Kaliningrad. Learn more about the Central Square of Svetlogorsk...
Variety Theater "Amber Hall"
The Yantar Hall Variety Theater is a modern multifunctional concert complex made in a voluminous architectural style (address: Lenin Street, 11).
The Yantar Hall building houses an auditorium, a cinema, a conference hall, a branch of the World Ocean Museum "Marine Exhibition Center", cultural, business, restaurant and entertainment blocks. Read more about the Yantar Hall Variety Theater in Svetlogorsk...
Pump room with mineral water in Svetlogorsk
Svetlogorsk pump room belongs to a branch of the Svetlogorsk military sanatorium.
The pump room has mineral water, carbonated, slightly carbonated, warm and cold.
Currently, mineral water is dispensed to the doctor's prescription in the sanatorium book. Previously, water was given to everyone.
The pump room is located on Lenin Street.
Organ Hall in Svetlogorsk (chapel "Maria - star of the sea")
The full name of the Organ hall of the company "Makarov".
At the end of 1928, the pastor of the Catholic community, Shotoff, purchased a plot of land on Warmbaden Strasse in Rauschen for the construction of a Catholic chapel.
The consecration of the choir chapel took place on May 10, 1931. The chapel was named "The Virgin Mary - the star of the sea" (German name: Katholische Kapelle Maria - Seestern).
In the post-war years, the chapel building was used as a warehouse, later it was empty and dilapidated.
In 1994, the ruins of the chapel were acquired by the Makarov Company. The head of the company, Andrey Aleksandrovich Makarov, together with a Lithuanian company, brought the historic building back to life.
So a new structure of traditional architecture with half-timbered elements appeared.
A handmade organ, ordered in Germany, was installed in the hall.
Concerts in the organ hall are held all year round, where in addition to organ music, vocal, instrumental and choral music is also played.
The organ hall is located on the territory of the park zone, at the address: 3 Kurortnaya Street.More about the organ hall in Svetlogorsk...
Parks in Svetlogorsk
There are two park zones in the center of Svetlogorsk.
The first one is located near the Amber Hall. The park is equipped with alleys for walking, places for recreation and a small sports ground with outdoor exercise equipment.
Second -Deciduous Park, which is a popular place for walking and recreation and located between Oktyabrskaya, Kurortnaya and Sadovaya streets.
The center of the park is decorated with a flowerbed and a sculpture "Carrying Water" (German name Wasserträgerin) by Hermann Brachert.
The sculpture was installed in 1944 in the center of the Raushen Kurpark (currently the Svetlogorsk Larch Park).
From 1945 to 2003, the sculpture was located in the park, after which it was moved to the Herman Brachert House Museum (Otradnoye village), where it is still located. In 2005, a copy of the "Water Carrier" was installed in the Larch Park of Svetlogorsk, in place of the original. More about the Leafy Park in Svetlogorsk...
The largest place for family holidays in Svetlogorsk is the Amber Period Park, located in a wooded area in front of the village of Otradnoye, part of the Svetlogorsk urban settlement of the Kaliningrad region and located 2 kilometers from the center of the city of Svetlogorsk.
The Amber Period Park is an open-air complex with entertainment and several themed areas.
In the park: recreation and walking areas, entertainment, cafes, mini-zoo, sculptures, themed area "Dinosaurs" and other decorative objects. Learn more about the Amber Period Park and videos of moving dinosaurs...
Lake Tikhoe in Svetlogorsk
Lake Tikhoe is located between Kaliningrad Avenue (from the sea) and Svetlogorsk Forest. GPS coordinates: 54.938063, 20.152885.
At the time of Rauschen, the lake was called Mill Pond (Mullenteich). Near the lake in the 19th century, the city began to develop as a resort.
Today, Lake Tikhoe is a popular place for walking and relaxing.
Around the lake there is an embankment with places for recreation and a bike path, a small sports ground with outdoor exercise equipment is equipped, there is a boat station, a rope park "Adventures nearby" and trolls.
Near the Pacific Lake are:
- a monument of wildlife of All-Russian significance - a linden tree, whose age is more than 450 years.
The 450-year-old linden tree has an 8-meter girth, and information about this long-lived tree is listed in the Guinness Book of Records. Learn more about the 450-year-old lime tree in Svetlogorsk...
- the sculpture "A girl with a child crossing a stream", installed in Raushen before 1940. Learn more about Lake Silent in Svetlogorsk...
Sights of Svetlogorsk
Church-chapel of the Icon of the Mother of God "Joy to All the Sorrowing"
The temple was erected in memory of the tragic death of children and adults as a result of the crash when a military transport plane crashed into a kindergarten on May 16, 1972.
The temple has a small size, clear lines, a low pointed bell tower and is painted white. The temple is located on Lenin Street.
Historical building "Hunting Lodge"
The name "Hunting Lodge" was given to the building due to the fact that there were hunting trophies in its interior.
The hunting lodge is located at 31 Lenin Street and is a house built in 1926 in the Art Nouveau style using decorative elements made of wood.
From 1925 to 1933, the owner of the house was Karl von Streng, the mayor of Rauschen. The house was also used as a boarding house "Sea View", in which, in addition to the living rooms of the burgomaster's family, there were rooms for vacationers for 24 places.
In the post-war years, one of the buildings of the military sanatorium was located in the walls of the building. Since 2003, the building has been privately owned.
Sculpture "Frog Princess"
The bronze sculpture appeared in the city in 2006 as a symbol of the new Svetlogorsk and its revival.
The sculpture is located on Lenin Street, opposite the Svetlogorsk-2 railway station and represents a female figure sitting on a boulder in a characteristic frog pose, with lips folded for a kiss, with a small crown in the form of a flower bud on her head and with hands and feet resembling frog legs.
They say sculpture fulfills wishes.
Kurhaus Rauschena (German name Kurhaus) - translated from German means "resort house".
Such a status in the resorts of Germany and East Prussia was awarded to a hotel that was the center of resort life and meets all the high requirements of an institution designed for accommodation and pleasant pastime of resort guests.
The Kurhaus building was erected in 1901 in the Art Nouveau style near the seashore.
The kurhaus consisted of three wooden two-storey buildings with an entertainment part and was an elite hotel with 30 rooms.
Concerts and dance evenings were held in the halls of the kurhaus building, guests played billiards, vacationers were offered drinks and newspapers.
The kurhaus building is located at 36 Oktyabrskaya Street.
Raushen Water Tower
The Rauschen Water Tower (German name Wasserturm Rauschen) is a historical architectural monument representing the tower and the adjacent building of the hydrotherapy.
The tower of the marine hydrotherapy was built by architect Otto Walter Kukkuk in 1908 in the city of Rauschen in the style of German national Romanticism.
In 1978, the upper part of the tower was decorated with a sundial. The tower has a height of 25 meters.
The physiotherapy department of the Svetlogorsk Military Sanatorium branch is now located in the walls of the tower.
Address of the Raushen water tower: Oktyabrskaya Street, 11.
The Old Doctor Hotel
The hotel "Old Doctor" in the past was a boarding house for the rest of the medical staff of the hospital "Mercy", which was called "Tannenhof" (German name Tannenhoff), which means "Spruce yard", as a dense hedge of low fir trees was planted in front of the building.
The building was built in 1910-1912 and had two floors with an attic.
In the 90s of the 20th century, the building was restored and now it houses the Old Doctor Hotel.
Church of Seraphim of Sarov
The Church of Seraphim of Sarov is the former Evangelical Lutheran Church of Raushen.
The city Evangelical Church of Raushen was founded in 1903 and was built until 1907.
The building was built in the Neo-Gothic style with elements of Art Nouveau.
In the post-war years, the church building was used as a sports hall of a secondary school.
Since 1991, the former church of Raushen has been the Orthodox church of St. Seraphim of Sarov.
The temple is located at 14 Mayakovsky Street.
The layout of the medieval Konigsberg
The layout of medieval Konigsberg (now the city of Kaliningrad) is something like a small open-air museum consisting of reduced copies of architectural objects of medieval Konigsberg in the first half of the 16th century.
The basis of the project is the layout of the castle-fortress of Konigsberg, from which only a small part of the ruins (excavations) remain in Kaliningrad, and three medieval cities: Altstadt, Kneiphof and Lebenicht, located near the castle.
The layout is located at Gorky Street / Hoffman Lane, next to the 3-star guest house "Storyteller's House".
Rauschen Baptist Chapel
The Baptist chapel was erected in Rauschen in 1905 by Karl Glauss, who was its rector until 1942.
In the post-war years, the school sports hall was located in the building.
Since 2007, the building of the former Baptist Chapel houses the concert hall of the Children's Art School named after A.T. Grechaninov.
The chapel's address is 34 Kaliningradsky Prospekt. Learn more about all the sights of Svetlogorsk...
In a separate group of attractions of Svetlogorsk, you can highlight the sights of the village of Otradnoye, which include: significant historical sites, a museum and a park with thematic zones. Learn more about the sights in Otradnoye...
Marine Exhibition Center (World Ocean Museum)
The Marine Exhibition Center, which includes almost 3,000 square meters of exhibition space, houses:
- the ethnographic exposition "People of the Sea", introducing visitors to the life and cult of the peoples living in Southeast Asia: on its mainland, on the islands between the Indian and Pacific Oceans, as well as on the Hindustan peninsula;
- The Marine Art Gallery, which is a space of interchangeable creative projects.
Also on the territory of the center there are: a cafe, a relaxation area, a library, a souvenir shop and the "Miklukho-Maklay hut", where interactive classes for children are held.
The Maritime Exhibition Center is located in the building of the Yantar-Hall Variety Theater.
The Exhibition Center is a branch of the Museum of the World Ocean, the main part of the objects of which is located on the embankment of the Historical Fleet in the city of Kaliningrad. More about the Museum of the World Ocean...
Museum of the city of Svetlogorsk
The Museum of the city of Svetlogorsk consists of two halls:
- the hall of the history of the resort of Raushen-Svetlogorsk, the collection of which reflects the past and present of the resort, and also tells about the tourist attractiveness of the city in different periods, from the moment of the official opening of the resort of East Prussia in 1820 to the establishment of the resort of Svetlogorsk, as well as the production of amber cosmetics;
- exhibition hall, which is a space for art and photo exhibitions.
The halls are located in the tourist information center of Svetlogorsk, at the address: Karl Marx Street, 7a.
Exhibition-museum "Wheel of History"
The museum "Wheel of History" presents the museum exposition "Raushen-Svetlogorsk", which tells about the past of Raushen and the present of Svetlogorsk.
The museum presents cultural and everyday objects, old photographs and other exhibits that tell about life, recreation, crafts and people who lived and worked in this place.
During a visit to the museum, you can watch a movie with a tour of Svetlogorsk.
The museum has a mini-shop "Vintage Shop", where you can buy souvenirs, postcards and various products.
The address of the museum: Svetlogorsk, Gorky Street, 4a.
Hermann Brachert House Museum
The Hermann Brachert House Museum is a museum located in the former Brachert country house, where the family of the German sculptor lived from 1933 to 1944.
There is an exposition in the house-museum, exhibitions, music evenings, various thematic programs and other cultural events are also held.
The Brachert house is surrounded by a small garden park.
In the park: walking paths, lawns, places to relax, sculptures and monuments, both created by Herman Brachert himself and other Russian and foreign sculptors.
Address of the Herman Brachert House-Museum: Svetlogorsk city, Otradnoye village, Tokareva Street, 7. Learn more about all the museums of Svetlogorsk and Otradnoye...
Excursions to and from Svetlogorsk
Shops in Svetlogorsk
There are many small shops and souvenir shops on the streets of the center of Svetlogorsk.
A large supermarket Victoria is located at the address: Kaliningradsky Prospekt, 3.
Where to go from Svetlogorsk
The nearby resort village is Otradnoye.
The city of Kaliningrad is the administrative center of the Kaliningrad region and the westernmost regional center of the country.
The resort town of Zelenogradsk, which has a good and long beach strip, a central pedestrian street, as well as historical sights and museums.
The village of Yantarny, considered an urban-type settlement in which there is a beach awarded the Blue Flag award.
Curonian Spit is a national park with unique natural complexes: sand dunes, dancing forest, royal forest, lake "Swan", etc.
In 2000, the Curonian Spit was included in the UNESCO World Heritage List.
You can visit the Curonian Spit with one of the excursions, as well as independently, by car, taxi or by bus to one of the villages: Lesnoy, Rybachy, Morskoe.
The length of the Kush Spit is about 48 kilometers, the main and most interesting places of interest are located at a sufficient distance from the villages and from each other, so a trip by public bus is not the most suitable option for visiting the Curonian Spit.
Photo of the Curonian Spit
Where to stay in Svetlogorsk (Svetlogorsk hotels)
The choice of accommodation facilities in Svetlogorsk is very large and diverse, ranging from budget guest houses and apartments (full-fledged apartments) to 5- and 4-star hotels with swimming pools, spa centers and restaurants located both near the beach and in the city center, and more remotely from those.
All accommodation facilities in Svetlogorsk can be viewed and booked here
How to get to Svetlogorsk
There is no airport in Svetlogorsk, and there is also no railway connection directly connecting Svetlogorsk with Russian cities outside the Kaliningrad region. Therefore, you can get to Svetlogorsk only through Kaliningrad - Khrabrovo Airport or from the city center.
How to get to Svetlogorsk from Khrabrovo airport
The Empress Elizabeth Petrovna International Airport (Khrabrovo) is located 42 kilometers from the center of Svetlogorsk.
The airport regularly accepts domestic flights connecting the Kaliningrad Region with some regions of Russia (Moscow, St. Petersburg, Kazan, Sochi, Krasnodar, Arkhangelsk, Murmansk, etc.), as well as international flights from Belarus, Uzbekistan, Latvia, Poland, Spain and some other European countries. Cheap flights to Kaliningrad...
You can get directly from the airport to Svetlogorsk
You can order a taxi / transfer in advance, even from home. At any time of the day, at the airport, a driver will be waiting for you with a sign where your first and last name will be written. To order a taxi, it is enough to provide your flight data!
The most convenient way to travel around the Kaliningrad region is by car. You can rent a car in advance, even from home, the car will be waiting for you immediately upon arrival. Cars for rent can be viewed and booked here...
How to get to Svetlogorsk from the center of Kaliningrad
You can find out how to get from Khrabrovo Airport to the center of Kaliningrad here.
From the center of Kaliningrad to Svetlogorsk you can get:
Choosing and renting a car in the center of Kaliningrad →
There are two railway stations in the center of Kaliningrad, from which you can take the train to Svetlogorsk. The first one is Kaliningrad Pass. Yuzhny (railway station), located at the address: Zheleznodorozhnaya Street, between buildings 7-13. The second is the Northern Railway Station, located in the very center of the city near Victory Square, at the address: Sovetsky Ave., 2. If you are in the city center, it is more convenient to leave the Kaliningrad Severny station.
Tickets can be purchased at the ticket offices of both stations.
There are two stations in Svetlogorsk, Svetlogorsk-1 (Railway Station) and Svetlogorsk-2. To get directly to the city center, to the sea and to the main street, you need to buy a ticket to the station Svetlogorsk-2 (terminal). From the station Svetlogorsk-1 to the center and the sea is still about 2 kilometers.
All trains depart from Kaliningrad's Southern Railway Station, then pass through the Northern One, in Svetlogorsk - through Svetlogorsk-1 station to Svetlogorsk-2 station. In the opposite direction, the same path.
The schedule of trains can be specified here.
From Kaliningrad to Svetlogorsk and vice versa, you can get by bus or minibus. Buses depart from the bus station. The bus station is located near the Southern Railway Station, at the address: Zheleznodorozhnaya str., 7.
Buses run daily, flights approximately every 20-40 minutes, starting from 06:00 to 22:30 hours, from Kaliningrad to Svetlogorsk, and back. Tickets can be purchased at the ticket office of the bus station or from the conductor on the bus. Buses make several stops in Kaliningrad, including near the Kaliningrad Hotel and the Northern Railway Station.
The bus schedule can be specified here.