The Museum of the World Ocean in Kaliningrad is one of the best and the largest museum of the city of Kaliningrad, which is a comprehensive marine museum, which is also a center for scientific research and scientific and methodological work in the field of studying the history of research and the nature of the ocean.
The Museum of the World Ocean consists of separate objects, which present expositions dedicated to shipping, the history of shipbuilding, naval and fishing fleets, marine flora and fauna, ethnography, geology and hydrology of the world ocean, as well as cosmonautics.
The complex of the Museum of the World Ocean includes 17 separate objects, most of which are located in the city of Kaliningrad. Entrance tickets to each object are paid separately, so you can choose the one you like and visit only him (them). There are also promotions, for example, 4 objects at the price of three, etc.
The main part of the Kaliningrad objects of the museum is grouped in one place - the embankment of the Historical Fleet, which is part of the Peter the Great Embankment.
Entrance to the embankment is free (free of charge). On the embankment, in the open air, there are some exhibits from the museum fund, which can be viewed completely free of charge. Some of the exhibits of the museum's collection may change from time to time. Learn more about the embankment of the Historical Fleet in Kaliningrad...
Museum objects of the embankment of the Historical Fleet (paid)
- the Irbensky floating lighthouse is one of the means of navigation, - a ship of special construction on which a lighthouse is installed, equipped with a powerful light source, used away from the coastline and at the entrances to the port as a pilot station.
Currently, an exposition from the history of navigation and lighthouse business is presented on board the Irbensky floating lighthouse. More about the floating lighthouse "Irbensky"...
- fishing vessel "SRT-129" (medium fishing trawler) is one of the domestic fishing vessels of the post-war period.
An exposition "Pioneers of Ocean Fishing" has been created on board the museum ship, dedicated to the history of the fishing fleet of the Kaliningrad region and Russia as a whole, including telling about the work of medium-sized fishing trawlers in the ocean, the life and work of fishermen. More about the fishing vessel "SRT-129"...
- The research vessel "Vityaz" (NIS "Vityaz") is a legendary vessel in the history of oceanology, which has made an outstanding contribution to the study of the World Ocean.
Currently, on board the ship, you can walk along the decks, see the expositions presented in the halls of the ship, look into the cabins and feel the life of people on sea expeditions, and if you want, even live in the "walls of the Vityaz" - the guest cabins of the Vityaz function on the ship. More about the vessel "Vityaz"...
- The Cosmonaut Viktor Patsaev research vessel is the only space communication vessel in the world that has a museum exposition on board. The ship was moored at the embankment of the Historical Fleet in 2001.
The ship is now not fulfilling its former tasks. A visit to the ship is possible only as part of an excursion;
- submarine B-413 of Project 641 (Foxtrot according to the NATO classification), belonging to the pre-atomic period of the submarine fleet. The uniqueness of the boat is that it is preserved in its original form.
The submarine "B-413" was launched and became part of the USSR Navy in 1968. Until 1990, the boat was part of the Northern Fleet, later as part of the Baltic Fleet. In 2000 it was transferred to the Museum of the World Ocean. More about the submarine museum B-413...
- anti-submarine seaplane (amphibious aircraft) BE-12. Such aircraft were in service with anti-submarine regiments and squadrons in the Northern, Pacific, Baltic and Black Sea fleets.
The presented aircraft was released on October 27, 1970 - the last aircraft of the 49th separate anti-submarine squadron of the Baltic Fleet, based at the Kosa airfield (Baltic Spit). It was in operation for 33 years and 8 months. Visiting the plane is possible only as part of an excursion;
- the exhibition "Depth", which introduces visitors to collections of barometers, flow meters, hydrophysical probes, instruments and equipment for underwater surveys, the study of depths and optical properties, deep-sea technology and many others. The exhibition collection includes both interchangeable exhibits, which alternate from time to time, and permanent ones. Learn more about the exhibition "Depth"...
- aquarium exposition "Ocean World. Touch...", where aquariums feature collections of live fish, including exotic, poisonous and predatory (moray eels, sharks), as well as amphibians, collections of marine mollusk shells and corals;
- salt botiscaf (salt cave), where you can not only breathe in the cool salt air, but also see an exposition dedicated to salt, having made a "dive" 290 million years into the depths and found yourself at the bottom of the Perm Sea.
A small exposition of the salt cave, called "Perm Sea. 290 million years in Depth", tells what kind of reservoir it is, when it existed and why it disappeared, as well as who lived in it;
- restored former port warehouses, which now house the museum's exhibition buildings: "Marine Konigsberg-Kaliningrad" and "Warehouse". The Warehouse exhibits major Russian and foreign exhibitions. The Marine Koenigsberg-Kaliningrad building houses an exhibition of the same name and a restored 19th-century ship found in the quarry of the Amber Combine;
- the exhibition pavilion of the naval center "Cube of Water", inside which there are: exhibition hall and cafe.
Tickets to all of the above objects can be purchased at the museum ticket offices located directly on the embankment of the Historical Fleet.
Objects of the World Ocean Museum located in Kaliningrad, outside the embankment of the Historical Fleet
Outside the embankment of the Historical Fleet, in the city of Kaliningrad, there are two museums that are branches of the Museum of the World Ocean.
The historical and Cultural center "Ship Sunday", located in the Friedrichsburg Gate, on the opposite (southern) side of the Pregolya River from the embankment of the Historical Fleet, at the address: 39 Portovaya Street, Kaliningrad.
The museum includes two small complexes: the Friedrichsburg Gate and the Lodeyny Yard, located on the adjacent territory.
The Friedrichsburg Gate complex consists of several halls, the exhibits of which tell about the history of ship building. Part of the museum's collection is dedicated to the role of Peter the Great in the formation of the Russian Navy.
The basis of the Lodeyny Dvor complex is made up of existing samples of traditional means of transportation on water collected in various regions of Russia. The collection of boats is constantly being updated. More about the museum at the Friedrichsburg Gate...
Historical and Cultural Center "The Great Embassy", located in the Royal Gate, at the intersection of Frunze Street/Yuri Gagarin and the Lithuanian Shaft, at 112 Frunze Street, Kaliningrad.
The museum consists of three halls, in which there are expositions dedicated to the emergence and development of Konigsberg, visits to Konigsberg by outstanding people, the history of diplomatic Konigsberg - Kaliningrad.
Also in the museum there is a famous Prussian cat that fulfills wishes, for which many tourists come to this museum. Even in the museum, you can try on medieval costumes and arrange a mini-photo shoot in unusual outfits. More about the museum at the Royal Gate...
You can buy tickets to the two listed objects directly at the ticket offices of each of the museums.
Map-scheme of objects of the Museum of the World Ocean in Kaliningrad
Objects of the World Ocean Museum located outside the city of Kaliningrad
The city of Svetlogorsk, Kaliningrad Region - maritime exhibition center located in the building of the Yantar Hall variety Theater.
In the museum: the ethnographic exposition "People of the Sea", introducing the way of life and the cult of the peoples of Southeast Asia, and the Maritime Art Gallery - a space of interchangeable creative projects.
Address: Lenin Street, 11, Svetlogorsk. More about the Amber Hall in Svetlogorsk...
The village of Zalivino, Kaliningrad region - the Rinderort lighthouse, which is one of three similar pre-war buildings that have survived on the territory of the Kaliningrad region. The lighthouse began functioning in 1868. Initially, it was a kerosene lantern with a lens mounted on a wooden rod 12 meters long. In 1908, a lighthouse 15.3 meters high was built of brick.
The object has a spiral stone staircase, a copper roof and a brick caretaker's house. The lighthouse is currently inactive.
Today the object is a complex of buildings and structures united by the territory.
A visit to the lighthouse complex is paid.
The city of St. Petersburg - the icebreaker Krasin (Svyatogor) is the second Arctic icebreaker in Russia, the design of which for several decades determined the general line in the development of domestic icebreaking.
Today this ship is a museum with an exposition.
Address: Lieutenant Schmidt Embankment, 23rd line, Saint Petersburg. Learn more about the Krasin icebreaker...
You can find out the cost of tickets, the opening hours of each object of the World Ocean Museum, as well as about excursions and other events held at the museum, both at the ticket offices and on the official website.
The official website of the Museum of the World Ocean: world-ocean.