Zelenogradsk is a small resort town located on the Baltic Sea coast, 33 kilometers from the center of Kaliningrad.
In summer, Zelenogradsk becomes one of the most popular places in the Kaliningrad region for recreation, both among locals and tourists.
Beaches in Zelenogradsk. Promenade in Zelenogradsk
The beaches of Zelenogradsk stretch in almost a single strip along the entire coast of the city and beyond, representing an extended beach area.
Along the beaches, above the sea line, runs the Zelenograd promenade (Zelenogradsk embankment). The coastal promenade in Zelenogradsk is one of the best places in the city for walking and recreation.
Most of the beach strip of Zelenogradsk is sandy, in places sand mixed with pebbles. The sand is light in color and pleasant to the touch. Natural and small household garbage can be found on the beach.
During the high beach season, lifeguards are on duty on the beaches from 10:00 am to 18:00 pm. And on the embankment: changing cabins, paid toilets, places for recreation, children's and sports grounds, a bike path, cafes and kiosks with drinks and food.
Average sea water temperature + 17 - +19 degrees, but in hot years, sometimes it warms up better. So in 2012 and 2018 , the water temperature off the coast of the Kaliningrad region rose to +21 - +22 degrees.
The approach to the sea is gentle, the bottom is mostly sandy, the depth comes gradually. Breakwaters are installed in the water.
The beach strip of Zelenogradsk can be divided into eastern and western parts.
For a conditional reference point, let's take the pump room "Queen Louise" with artesian mineral water extracted from a 240-meter depth.
Next to the pump room, a walking pier goes into the sea waters.
Views opening in Zelenograd Pier
Near the pier, on the western and eastern sides, the beach strip is quite narrow, during strong waves, beaches in this part of the coast may not remain at all.
East coast from the pier
The beaches on the east side of the coast are mostly narrower than the beaches on the west coast from the pier, but the promenade is wider and more touristic.
In the eastern part, behind the promenade, there is a beach for people with disabilities and even further - a nudist beach.
Photos of the east coast and the promenade
On the embankment there is a Ferris wheel "Eye of the Baltic", which has a height of 50 meters.
The wheel has 18 enclosed cabins of superior comfort with 6 seats in one cabin.
The duration of one lap is 10-12 minutes.
Zelenograd Ferris wheel works all year round, but in adverse weather conditions, the operation of the attraction may be suspended.
The cost of tickets for the Ferris wheel is 400 rubles; children up to 1 meter tall - 200 handlebars; family ticket (2 adults and 2 children up to 1 meter tall) - 1000 rubles; disabled children, disabled people of the 1st group and their accompanying persons - 1 ticket for two. Children up to 130 centimeters tall are allowed only accompanied by adults. Tickets can be purchased at the ticket office located near the Ferris wheel.
The square "Wind Rose". Concerts and evening entertainment programs are held on the square. And near the square there is a playground and a bicycle rental point.
Sculptural composition (art object) "Mermaids". A gift to the city of Zelenogradsk from the Sambia Hotel. The sculpture was unveiled on June 2, 2018.
Near the City Park, a wide promenade turns into a narrow wooden one, but the beach strip becomes wider.
Then the promenade ends, and the beach strip continues. There is a water entertainment point here.
The beach is for people with disabilities (disabled).
It offers: comfortable flooring, special deck chairs, changing rooms and strollers for swimming.
The beach strip is further, towards the Curonian Spit
The nudist beach is located near the border tower. The beach itself is slightly hidden behind reinforced concrete tetrapods.
Nudists are located further along the coastline of the Curonian Spit.
West Coast from the pier
A beach strip also stretches to the west of the pier. At first it is not wide. Above the line of this part of the beach there is a wide promenade, on which there are places for recreation, sports and playgrounds, cafes and restaurants.
Granite sculpture "Grey Baltic Seal" installed in 2013. The grey Baltic seal is endangered, listed in the red books of the International Union for Conservation of Nature, Russia and the Baltic region. Repeated visits of seals to the beach of Zelenogradsk (formerly Krantz) are mentioned in the pre-war and modern history of the city. So in 2012, the seal spent several months on the beach in Zelenogradsk.
Further west along the coast, the promenade becomes narrower, located in a zone of vegetation, and the tourist infrastructure on this stretch of the embankment is minimized.
There are descents to the beach from the embankment
Below the promenade line there is a wide and spacious beach strip. It is this part of the Zelenogradsk beach that is famous among locals and visitors of the city.
So, the western part of the coast of Zelenogradsk stretches beyond the city limits, where it meets the coast of the village of Malinovka.
Where to stay near Zelenogradsk beach
The western part of the beach:
- 3-star Golden Mile Hotel. It offers a shared lounge, a bar, free Wi-Fi, a 24-hour front desk and a restaurant. The rooms are equipped with a desk, a wardrobe, a flat-screen TV, a refrigerator and a balcony. Breakfast is included in the room rate.
- 3-star hotel A Priori. The air-conditioned rooms are equipped with a TV with satellite channels and a private bathroom. The room rate includes a continental breakfast, which is served in a cafe with panoramic sea views.
- Apartment Belaya Volna with a terrace, free Wi-Fi and a bar. The windows overlook the sea. The air-conditioned apartment features 1 bedroom, a flat-screen TV with cable channels, a kitchen and a bathroom with a bidet.
The eastern part of the beach:
- 3-star Sambia Hotel with indoor pool, sauna, playground, restaurant with sea view and fitness center with gym. Some rooms have a balcony with sea views.
- 3-star guest house "20 Meridian" with a bar and restaurant. All rooms at the guest house have sea views, a private bathroom and a refrigerator. A continental breakfast is served every morning.
- 3-star Hotel Princess Eliza. The air-conditioned rooms feature a kitchenette and a balcony. The bathrooms are equipped with bathrobes, slippers and free toiletries.
- 2-star Exclusive Apart-hotel with sea view and free Wi-Fi. Some units also have a kitchen, equipped with a microwave and refrigerator.
- apartments on the beach. It offers barbecue facilities, a garden and a terrace, as well as a balcony. The apartment features 1 bedroom and a flat-screen TV with cable channels.
"The Captain's apartment." It offers free Wi-Fi, a fully equipped kitchenette with a microwave, refrigerator, stove and kettle.
All accommodation facilities in Zelenogradsk (hotels, apartments, guest houses, etc.), including near beaches, in the city center and more remotely from those, can be viewed and booked here