In the eastern tip of the city of Zelenogradsk, near the beach strip, there is an oasis of greenery, which is a large Urban park, merging with an extended pine forest outside the city (Curonian Spit National Park).
Zelenogradsk City Park (formerly Plantage Park) is a great place for leisurely walks and recreation. And on a hot summer day, this park can become a breath of fresh air, where it is easy to hide from the sun's rays in the shade of the tree crowns.
The central entrance to the park, located on the side of Volodarsky Street, is decorated with wooden gates, on the left side of which there is a paid parking. In the gate there are: a shop with souvenirs, jewelry and other amber products and a coffee shop.
Behind the main entrance, there was a free public toilet, at least the toilet was free. And also a monument to the poet Adam Mickiewicz, who rested in Kranets (now Zelenogradsk) in October 1824.
Next to the monument is a bench on which an excerpt from the work of Adam Mickiewicz is written.
Near the entrance, in the shade of trees, there is a playground "Cat House", next to which, in summer, there is a children's sports and entertainment playground "Trampoline".
A little to the east of the playgrounds, on a fairly large open area there are playgrounds for playing volleyball. There is free parking behind the volleyball field.
On the south side of the volleyball court there is a restaurant-bar and another playground.
The pride of the park - Tortilin pond. Tortilin Pond is one of the favorite places in Zelenogradsk for walking and recreation. According to some local residents, the most famous turtle from the fairy tale about the adventures of Pinocchio lives in this pond.
Around the pond there are paths for walking, benches for relaxing, and in the very center of the pond there is a fountain. Ducks and other waterfowl live in the pond.
The park pond consists of a large and a small pond, which are separated by a humpback bridge. This bridge has a romantic name - "Bridge of sighs". Previously, Tortilin Pond was called "Stork Pond" (German name Storchenteich), since there was a sculpture of a stork in the center of the small pond.
Photos of the park territory
- Memorial to the Fallen Wars, opened in 1950. 813 soldiers of the Guards army, 5, 39 and 43 armies who fell in January - April 1945 are buried in this place;
- memorial stone to Sam Simkin
"It's good for Sam Simkin, a long-nosed and free bird, a laughing man in a cowboy shirt.Boris Slutsky
He lived in Leningrad for two years, and in Kaliningrad for two years.
Why? Romance for the sake of...".
- across the street from the memorial stone is a historic building - currently hotel "Queen Louise".
Today it is the only hotel in the city that bears its historical name. The building (Moskovskaya Street, 50) was built in the 1930s and named after the Queen of East Prussia. In January 1807, the most famous woman of East Prussia, fleeing from Napoleon's troops to Memel (now Klaipeda, Lithuania), spent the first night after leaving Konigsberg in Krantz. Streets, a church, a bridge and even a fort were named after the people's favorite in Prussia, and a hotel in Krantz. In Soviet times, the building first belonged to the military department, and in the late 1960s there was a hotel and restaurant "Tourist". In the 1990s, the new owner V.A. Westerlund returned (partially) the pre-war appearance and the former name to the building.
All accommodation facilities in Zelenogradsk (hotels, apartments, guest houses, etc.), including near beaches, in the city center and more remotely from those, can be viewed and booked here