Basilica of San Marino or Marino Basilica (Basilica di San Marino, Basilica del Santo) is the main Church of the city of San Marino, dedicated to the patron Saint of the city and state, the founder of the Republic, the deacon the Holy Marino.
The Catholic Church of San Marino is located in the historical centre of San Marino at Monte Titano on the square in the 16th century Domus Plebis (Piazzale Domus Plebis).
The first document attesting the existence of the Church, dates from the year 530. Later the document dates from the year 885. The first document, which is directly related to "Pieve di San Marino", dated July 31, 1113 year.
In the early 1800-ies of a small Church was in critical condition and in 1807, was demolished.
The present Church di San Marino was founded in 1826 on the draft Bolognese architect, Antonio Serra on the site of earlier parish Pieve (Pieve), dated 4-7 centuries.
5 Feb 1838 Shrine was inaugurated in the presence of the Bishop and of the captains Regent, consecrated in 1855. July 21, 1926, the Church was elevated to the rank of minor Basilica by Pope Pius XI.
Basilica del Santo made in the neoclassical style, with a wide porch decorated with eight Corinthian columns. The massive Romanesque bell tower was rebuilt in 1600-ies.
On the pediment above the columns is the inscription "DIVO. MARINO. PATRONO. ET. LIBERTATIS. AUCTORI. SEN. P. Q.", which translated means "Saint Marina, the patron Saint who brought freedom. The Senate and the people."
The right of the Church of San Marino is the small Church of San Pietro or St. Peter's (chiesetta di San Pietro) of the 16th century, rebuilt in about 1826. The Church is accessed through the sacristy via a staircase carved into the main bell tower of the Basilica.
The apse of St. Peter's Church is completely made of rock of stone: in it are carved two niches, which, according to popular tradition is designated as the beds of San Marino and San Leo and that believers ascribe healing properties. On the marble altar of the 17th century, donated by the Roman musician Antonio Tedeschi in 1689, is a statue of San Pietro, made by the sculptor Enrico Saroldi. Underneath the Church in 1914, was built a stone crypt, which has preserved the urn, which for many centuries had rested the bones of the Saint.
In the interior of the Basilica of San Marino three aisles formed by Corinthian columns leading to a semicircular apse, also has seven altars.
The main altar is decorated with a statue of St. Marino, the work of Adamo Tadolini, a student of Antonio Canova.
To the left of the main altar is the throne of the captains Regent, the work of the 17th century. Under the altar is a small urn with parts of the relics of St. Marino, discovered in 1586. Part of the relics (relics of the Saint) in 1595 was granted to the island of RAB (Croatia), where the Saint was born. Right, in the marble monument, is a Sacred Terabust of silver and gold on September 2, 1602, in which is located the upper part of the skull of the Saint.
In the Basilica is the pipe on Giacomo Bazzani (1835) with one keyboard and stand with a lectern.
The walls of the Basilica is buried the Secretary-General of the Republic of Gian Battista Bonelli, who was killed on 14 July 1853.
In the Basilica are celebrated certain holidays and events: elections and the establishment of captains Regent; the celebration of the anniversary of the militia of the Republic (25 March); national and religious holidays of San Marino - the founder and patron of the Republic (September 3), St. Agatha, patroness of the Republic (5 February); and a religious festival in honor of the Holy Body and blood of Christ.
Basil also acts as a space for popular events. In 2010, it hosted the XII autumn music festival dedicated to the Requiem mass by Mozart.
Basilica di San Marino is depicted on the ten-cent Euro coins are produced in San Marino.
Photos of the area of Domus Plebis
All accommodation in San Marino, you can view and book here