The theater was opened in 1667 under the name of "Casa de les Comedias" and could seat 800 people.
At the end of the war of succession, in 1715, the theatre became a barracks of the forces of the supporters of Philip V. After several tests, the building fell into disrepair.
In 1854 work began on a new theatre under the direction of architect Antoni Mallorca Sureda and Vilallonga. New construction expanded the theatre with the purchase of the neighboring building.
June 12, 1858, after a performance of "Macbeth", a fire completely destroyed the theatre. After the adjustment made under the old plan, the theater reopened on September 14, 1860, now called Teatro del Principe de Asturias.
The revolution of 1868, the theatre was renamed the Teatre Principal. In the 1900s, the theatre has undergone several changes and modifications. In the early 2000-ies, a project was implemented based on the adaptation of theatre space to current needs, including increased stage and new technologies are introduced.
The site of the teatre Principal in Palma: teatreprincipal.