Nikolskaya Kurtina-part of the fortress wall and the former defensive structure of the Peter and Paul Fortress in St. Petersburg (Zayachy Island), intended for the defense and defense of the fortress.
In the curtin there is the eponymous Nikolsky Gate, and on the second floor there is a museum exhibition.
Initially, the construction of the Nikolskaya Curtain Wall, as well as the entire Peter and Paul Fortress, took place from 1703, and then the structures of the fortress, including to save time, were built of wood and earth (wood-earth fortifications). The section of the rampart (curtin) connected and now connects two bastions - Zotov and Golovkin.
The construction of the curtain wall in stone took place in 1729, designed by the architect and engineer-fortifier D. Trezzini and military engineer B.-H. Minich.
The name " Nikolskaya "comes from the Church of St. Nicholas" on Mokrushakh " (Uspenskaya), which was located in the early 18th century on the St. Petersburg side.
Eighteen casemates of the curtin were at various times adapted for the barracks of the Artillery company and other parts of the fortress garrison, warehouses. To the right of the Nikolsky Gate was the guardhouse, next to the prison cells where the Decembrists and Petrashevites were kept in prison.
Today, the Sovereign Bastion is an integral part of the Peter and Paul Fortress. And the casemates preserved in the curtin represent a unique example of two-tiered fortress premises.
On the second floor of the Nikolskaya Curtin there is an exhibition "The Object world of Art Nouveau", which presents collections of decorative and applied art made in the Art Nouveau style: furniture, lighting devices, porcelain and glass products, household items made of metal, stained glass windows.
The exhibition is dedicated to one of the best periods in the history of St. Petersburg culture-the turn of the 19th-early 20th century, which is called the era of Art Nouveau. Learn more about the exhibition...
In the Nikolskaya Curtin there areNikolsky Gate, which was built in 1729 during the reconstruction of the wooden-earth Nikolskaya curtain wall into a stone one.
In 1792-1793, according to the project of the military engineer F. O. de Rancourt, the facades of the gate were decorated with four-column porticos.
In 1874, according to the project of the military engineer A. A. Carbonniere, the gate passage was expanded, and the facades were rebuilt in Neo-Renaissance forms.
Behind the Nikolsky Gate, between the Nikolskaya Kurtina and the Kronverkskaya embankment, there is a green square, where there is a helipad and car parking, and it is also possible to hold large-scale "open air" and corporate events.
Beyond the Kronverksky Strait is the kronverk with the arsenal, which were also an integral part of the Peter and Paul Fortress.
The construction of the polygonal crown-shaped fortification began in 1705 on a specially cleared area on the northern side of the fortress.
The brick horseshoe-shaped fortification ("defensive arsenal") once corresponded to the level of development of the fortification, was built in 1848-1860 by the architect P. I. Tamansky and was originally used as an arsenal, but the arsenal building lost its fortification value during the construction process. Some of its rooms were used to house old Russian and captured guns and banners.
Today, the Kronverk arsenal houses the military History Museum of artillery, engineering troops and signal troops, which has valuable collections of artillery weapons and ammunition, small arms and cold weapons, military engineering equipment, military communications equipment, battle banners, military uniforms, works of battle paintings and graphics, awards and badges, as well as archival documents that testify to the history of the development of artillery of the Russian army and the military exploits of the defenders of the Fatherland. Museum website: artillery-museum.
In the courtyard, to the right of the museum building next to the Kronverk Canal, there is a monument to the Decembrists who were executed at this place in 1826.
Nikolskaya Kurtina with Nikolsky Gate is located in the north-western part of the Peter and Paul Fortress, near the main square of the fortress - Cathedral Square, where the Mint is located, Peter and Paul Cathedral with the Grand Ducal Tomb, Botny house and the commandant's house with an exhibition "The history of St. Petersburg-Petrograd".
The entrance to the territory of the Peter and Paul Fortress is free (free of charge).
You can also visit the Peter and Paul Fortress with one of the excursions
Nearest metro stations: "Gorkovskaya" and "Sportivnaya".
All accommodation facilities in Saint Petersburg, including in the city center and near the Peter and Paul Fortress, can be viewed and booked here