The Amber Combine Museum is an interactive exhibition hall called the Amber Chamber, which was opened in September 2017.
The works on the creation of the tourist display object were timed to coincide with the 70th anniversary of the Kaliningrad Amber Combine, the only enterprise in the world leading the industrial extraction of amber by an open pit method.
The exposition of the museum, located on the ground floor of the building of the restored former Tool shop of the Kaliningrad Amber Combine, tells about the history and industrial activity of the combine, and also shows the amber collection of the enterprise.
According to the content, the museum's exposition is conditionally divided into natural science and cultural-historical parts, combining the following sections:
- origin of amber, amber-like fossil resins (copals), inclusions in amber;
- historical knowledge about amber and amber trade routes;
- the history of amber mining during the reign of the knights of the Teutonic Order;
- "The Amber Room" - three centuries of brilliant history;
- the history of the village of Palmnikenen - Yantarny, as a center of industrial amber mining in the 18th-20th centuries;
- Kaliningrad Amber Combine (1947-2017) - industrial history;
- technologies of extraction and processing of Baltic amber;
- properties of amber, unique amber samples (collection of large nuggets);
- technologies of industrial processing of amber, imitation of amber;
- "Amber Chamber" is a collection of amber objects (art objects), author's works and serial products of the Kaliningrad Amber Combine, including a large amber chandelier.
In addition, the hall is equipped with a special photo zone where you can sit on the "Amber Throne", try on an amber tiara and amber beads, while taking individual photos for memory.
In addition to the exhibition, the museum also functions as a retail space where guests can buy amber souvenirs, gifts and jewelry with amber and amber.
Near the building of the Amber Factory Museum, there are several themed sculptures. There is a brand store from the manufacturer in the building. The banner lists the addresses of the company stores of JSC "Yantarny Jewelerprom".
Memorial plaques are placed on two corners of the building (east and south):
- memorial plaque to the director of the Kaliningrad Amber Combine in 1964-1987 - Vasily Nikolaevich Rozhkov (1924-2003).
The inscription on the memorial plaque: "Vasily Nikolaevich Rozhkov (1924-2003). Director of the Kaliningrad Amber Combine from 1964 to 1987. Participant of the Great Patriotic War and the Victory Parade of 1945 in Moscow. The first Honorary citizen of the Amber City District";
- memorial plaque to the Hero of Socialist Labor, director of the Kaliningrad Amber Combine in 1955-1962 - Rizaev Kerim Novruz oglu (1914-1995).
The inscription on the memorial plaque: "Rizaev Kerim Navruzovich (1914-1996). Hero of Socialist Labor, veteran of the Great Patriotic War, participant in the storming of Konigsberg, director of the Amber Plant since 1959. He lived and worked in Yantarny from 1945 to 1962."
Near the southern wall of the building there is a fountain with a sculpture of a girl.
The exhibition hall "Amber Chamber" is located in the village of Yantarny, Kaliningrad region, at the address: 1 Balebina Street (entrance from Zheleznodorozhnaya Street).
The museum is part of the Kaliningrad Amber Combine, which also includes the observation deck of the current Primorsky amber quarry, located just southeast of the village of Yantarny. The distance between the exhibition hall "Amber Chamber" and the observation deck of the Primorsky quarry is about 4 kilometers.
You can visit and, accordingly, purchase tickets for one of the objects or visit two objects using a single integrated ticket. Tickets, including complex ones, can be purchased at the ticket offices at any of the two facilities.
We recommend specifying the opening hours of the museum and the viewing room, as well as the cost of tickets and conditions of visits, immediately before visiting, on the official website: ambercombine.
You can also visit the Amber Factory Museum and the observation deck from Kaliningrad as part of one of the excursions, for example:
All accommodation facilities in Yantarny, including in the center of the village and near the beaches, can be viewed and booked here