Search Blog
Car Hire – Search, Compare & Booking → Compare 500 companies at over 10,000 locations. Best price guaranteed

Maximilian Bridge, Nuremberg (Maxbrücke)

The Maximilian Bridge (Maxbrücke), can also be known as the Max Bridge - one of the bridges over the Pegnitz River in the historical center of Nuremberg.

Maximilian Bridge is considered to be the oldest stone bridge in the city.

The bridge was built by Jacob Grimm, a master builder from Rothenburg, in 1457 and at that time was called the Stone Bridge.

Later, two cannon rondels were added in the middle of the bridge structure to protect the river.

In 1810, the bridge was renamed in honor of King Maximilian I Joseph of Bavaria and since then the port has been called "Maximilian Bridge".

The bridge was damaged as a result of a fire in the wooden Nägeleinsmühle water tower on the north bank of the river. After it was redesigned and renovated in accordance with the plans of the German architect and municipal builder of the city of Nuremberg - Bernhard Solger (Bernhard Solge). The bridge was reopened in 1852.

Today, this three-arch (three-span) cuboid stone bridge made of sandstone with openwork railings made of cast iron and stone is located in the western part of the old city of Nuremberg, between two other bridges: Hangman's Bridge (Henkersteg) and Chain bridge (Kettensteg).

View of the Maximilian Bridge from the east side of the river

View of the Maximilian Bridge and nearby buildings on the west side of the river

The Maximilian Bridge connects the two banks of the Pegnitz River - two Nuremberg districts that are sides of the old city: Sebald and Lorenz.

The bridge leads from the Maxplatz square to the Unschlittplatz square.

Views from the Maximilian Bridge

In the western direction, the bridge offers views of the Pegnitz River, the Chain Bridge and the last city fortifications of Nuremberg.

In the eastern direction, the most famous, photographed and romantic architectural ensemble of Nuremberg is visible, consisting of: a half-timbered building of a former wine warehouse (Weinstadel), a square water tower (Wasserturm), a two-arch connecting bridge (Pegnitz Bridge / Pegnitzüberbrückung), a rounded wall tower of the Executioner (Henkerturm), and a pedestrian wooden bridge of the Executioner (Henkersteg). Learn more about the architectural ensemble...

Near the Maximilian Bridge, and therefore in the old town of Nuremberg, you can stop:

The 3-star Hauser Boutique Hotel offers a restaurant, free Wi-Fi, parking and room service.

The rooms are equipped with a flat-screen TV, a minibar and a private bathroom. Link to the hotel

The Nuremberg Holidays Studio Apartment complex offers free Wi-Fi throughout, private parking and family rooms.

All rooms/apartments are equipped with a flat-screen TV. There is also a kitchenette, equipped with a microwave, toaster, refrigerator, stove, coffee machine and kettle. The private bathroom comes with a shower and a hairdryer. Link to the complex

The family-run Hotel Elch is located in a historic building built in 1342, in a quiet area of Nuremberg.

The hotel has free Wi-Fi, a restaurant, parking and room service.

The hotel rooms are decorated with elements of both modern and historical styles. Each room has a flat-screen TV and a minibar.

A buffet breakfast is served every morning. Link to the hotel

The Burghotel Nürnberg is located in the most beautiful old quarter of Nuremberg.

The hotel has an indoor swimming pool, sauna, solarium, parking and Wi-Fi.

The rooms are equipped with a minibar. Link to the hotel

All accommodation facilities in Nuremberg, including in the city center and near the Maximilian Bridge, can be viewed and booked here

Useful for trips / travel

Donate now →
Leave a review ↓
Nobody has left any reviews.