Frauenkirche or the Church of the Virgin Mary (Frauenkirche Nürnberg) is a Roman Catholic parish church, which is one of the three most important churches in Nuremberg.
Other common names of the Frauenkirche: full name - the Church of the Virgin or the Church of Our Lady (Stadtpfarrkirche Unserer Lieben Frau); the church of women.
The Nuremberg Frauenkirche is located in the historical center of the city, on the east side The Market Square (Hauptmarkt), next to the "Beautiful Fountain" (Schöner Brunnen) and the Nuremberg Town Hall (Nürnberger Rathaus).
The church was built as an imperial court chapel and a communal church building on the site of the synagogue destroyed during the plague pogrom of 1349. The construction of the church was carried out from 1352 to 1362 on the initiative and order of Emperor Charles IV.
The main builder of the Frauenkirche, most likely (it is not known for sure), was a German sculptor and one of the most important builders of cathedrals of the Middle Ages - Peter Parler.
After its consecration, the Frauenkirche became the first Gothic church in Franconia.
During its history, the church has been reconstructed several times, including serious work was carried out after the Frauenkirche was seriously damaged by bombing during World War II.
The exterior of the church immediately catches the eye and, of course, cannot but admire, since the Frauenkirche dominates the overall ensemble of the market square.
The western facade of the church, facing the square, has a powerful triangular stepped pediment, decorated with niches and small turrets. The church tower rises above the pediment.
Behind the convex "first" facade of the church, semicircular towers protrude and high lancet windows are notable.
The main entrance to the church has an openwork arched architecture, complemented by sculptures. The main figure of the entrance portal is a sculpture of the seated Mother of God with a baby in her arms.
Above the entrance structure there is a projecting part, outside the main part of the building, made in the form of a bay window (closed balcony).
In the upper part there is an artistic clock with moving figures. The Christmas market opens annually on the balcony with colorful figures. Every lunch break at 12 o'clock in the afternoon, the figures on the balcony "walk" - seven electors who have the right to elect emperors pay tribute to the Roman-German emperor Charles IV.
Entrance /exit from the inner vestibule to the main hall of the Frauenkirche - the second door (+ photo of the entrance door from the inside and the ceiling)
The interior of the Frauenkirche has three naves separated by tall columns.
The main altar is discreet, but with deep choirs. Behind the altar, the high arched windows are notable.
The existence of the organ in the Frauenkirche dates back to 1442. Today's organ dates back to 1957.
Numerous works of art have been preserved inside the Frauenkirche: sculptures and frescoes; the so-called Tuchera altar (circa 1440-1450, which comes from the destroyed Augustinian church); the sandstone epitaph of Peringsderfer, painted by Adam Kraft (circa 1498, also from the Augustinian monastery).
From the medieval original decoration of the Frauenkirche survived: loop stone sculpture about 1360 in the choir (including the "Adoration of kings", "St. Wenceslas", "the Man of sorrow"); the angel of the Annunciation and the angel-candlestick from the vicinity Veit-Stoss (early 16th century); the remains of the first high altar circa 1400 (painted panels are now in the Germanic national Museum in Nuremberg and Frankfurt Steele, clay figures - in the Prague national gallery).
Also, some other preserved parts from the interior of the Frauenkirche today are in The German National Museum in Nuremberg (Germanisches Nationalmuseum).
Frauenkirche address: Hauptmarkt 14, 90403 Nürnberg.
Frauenkirche website: frauenkirche-nuernberg.
All accommodation facilities in Nuremberg, including in the city center and near the Frauenkirche, can be viewed and booked here