Munich Old Courtyard (Alter Hof) - Former Residence of the Rulers

The old courtyard or Alter Hof (German title: Alter Hof), a former Ducal Palace and Imperial residence of the rulers of Bavaria.

His story takes the Old courtyard from the 12th century, when it was erected as a castle. In 1255 the Alter Hof was the residence of Ludwig II, Duke of Bavaria. Later, when Ludwig IV, the castle became a permanent Imperial residence.

Originally the castle was surrounded by a brick wall outside the ditch and probably had a few one-story wooden structures.

Later the residence was a complex of buildings centered around a courtyard and consists of five wings: Bergstak (Burgstock), Fingerstock (Zwingerstock), Lorenzetto (Lorenzistock), PFISTERER (Pfisterstock) and Brunnenstr (Brunnenstock). The structure also includes the stables and the castle chapel, known as chapel Lorentz (today not preserved).

The old Palace remained the residence of the ruling Wittelsbach family until the 15th century.

When the expansion of the city the residence was unsafe, in 1385, a little to the North began the construction of the so-called "New residence". New residence later became a residence of the rulers and turned into a magnificent Palace, which at present is called the Munich residence (Münchner Residenz) is one of the most important art museums in Europe with courtyards, the cuvillies-theater, the court Church and the adjacent Hofgarten Park.

Since the full and final move of the rulers in the walls of the Munich residence, by that time already defunct Old courtyard has become a place for tax and government authorities, and later offices and apartments.

During the Second world war, the Old yard was partially destroyed and rebuilt after 1950, with the preservation of some old structures of historical details.

Today the Old yard public, is a complex of buildings with an inner courtyard, which you can get into through the arched walkways from the surrounding streets. In the center of the square is a fountain, originally Dating back to the period of early classicism (1785). Also in the yard there are places for rest and lights.

Some Old buildings of the courtyard are offices, shops, cafes and restaurants. Operates the information centre of the museums and castles in Bavaria (Infopoint Museums & Castles in Bavaria) with the permanent exhibition "the Imperial castle in Munich" (Münchner Kaiserburg), located in the Gothic cellar with arched ceiling (under information center), Dating from the 1480-ies. Exhibition with a multimedia presentation introduces visitors to the history of the Old courtyard and the medieval history of the city of Munich a family of Wittelsbach.

The exhibition is available through the information center. Open on weekdays and Saturdays from 10 am to 18 PM (last session at 17:30) and admission is free.

On the South side of the Old courtyard stands a late Gothic tower with an arched doorway - the gate. On the right side of the tower, on the wall of the building is gabled wooden Bay window.

The Bay window is also called "Monkey tower" (Das Affentürmchen) because it is associated with a legend. According to legend, the Duke Ludwig II was tame monkey, which was allowed to move freely around the residence. Monkey once took from the cradle of the Duke's son - the little Wittelsbach Ludwig of Bavaria that shocked the whole court and people began to chase the monkey in the clutches of which was a baby, thus scaring the animal. The pursuit of the monkey, finally led one with a child in her arms on the wooden roof over a Bay window. The whole court trembled at the bottom, and a monkey with a baby sat upstairs. However, after some time the animal calmed down and gently went to put the baby back in the cradle. Since Gothic wooden Bay window of the castle also known as monkey tower.

Input photos of the tower from the street, burgstraße underground station (Burgstraße) and the street itself burgstraße underground station

Arch on the North side of the Old courtyard leads to the street Hofgren (Hofgraben) and Fischerstrasse (Pfisterstraße).

Near the arch from the street, is a bronze equestrian statue of Emperor Ludwig the Bavarian (Reiterstandbild Kaiser Ludwigs des Bayern), made by sculptor Hans Wimmer and installed in 1967.

This arch also leads to the building of the Renaissance which originally served for the Ducal stables and the art collections of albert V, Duke of Bavaria.

The building was erected by the court architect Wilhelm AGCOM in 1563 instead of medieval houses. Later the building was converted into the main mint.

The main building has four wings around an arcade courtyard. Also the building has an Annex, which was built as storage for hay.

Today the Renaissance courtyard of the old mint called "Old coin" (Alte Münze /viola müntze), is one of the sights of Munich, has three rows of arcades, one above the other.

Address of the old mint: Hofgraben, 4.

The court brewery

In 1598 by Bavarian Duke, Wilhelm V, near Old court, as the court brewery was founded and opened Hofbrauhaus (Hofbräuhaus).

Until 1828, the ordinary people were not allowed in the walls of the brewery.

During the history of the brewery and adjacent restaurant has evolved and moved.

Today, the brewery is on the outskirts of Munich and in an old historic building on the square Platzl still is famous and one of the oldest beer restaurants in Munich - Munich. Read more about the Brasserie-style restaurant in Munich...

Location the Old courtyard

Old courtyard is located in the centre of the Old town of Munich, near the Central square of the city of Munich (Marienplatz) and Munich residence.

Where to stay near Old courtyard in Munich

The 4-star Platzl Hotel Superior with free Spa, a restaurant, a pub with a beer garden and free Wi-Fi.

The Soundproofed rooms feature wooden furniture and include a flat-screen TV, Windows from floor to ceiling Windows and laptop safes. The bathrooms include bathrobes and Slippers. Each room offers a complimentary bottle of water.

Room rates may include Breakfast. Link to the hotel booking

Hotel Lux has a bar-restaurant, free Wi-Fi and Parking.

The rooms: modern furniture, TV with cable channels and a private bathroom.

Room rates include Breakfast. Link to the hotel booking

The hotel an der Oper features a restaurant, bar, free Wi-Fi, rooms and apartments.

The Soundproofed rooms and apartmentswith flat screen TV, mini-bar, safe and Hairdryer. Facilities and free toiletries. Link to the hotel booking

All accommodation in Munich, including at the Old courtyard and in the historic centre of the city, you can view and book here booking

This can come in handy
Leave a review ↓
Nobody has left any reviews.