Frauenkirche in Munich - Munich Cathedral (Dom zu Unserer Lieben Frau)

The Frauenkirche or Cathedral of the Blessed Virgin Mary / Cathedral of Our Lady (Frauenkirche, full name: Dom zu Unserer Lieben Frau) is a Munich Gothic cathedral and also a symbol and one of the city's main attractions.

It is a functioning Cathedral of the Catholic Archdiocese of Munich and Freising.

Cathedral of red brick in the late Gothic style was begun in 1468 and lasted until 1488. The consecration took place in 1494.

Two towers of the Cathedral was planned tall open spires, typical of the Gothic style, but given the financial difficulties at the time the plans could not be implemented. The tower was finally erected during the Renaissance in 1525, with a more economical design two domes instead of high spires. This style of domed towers of the Cathedral that does not match the General architectural appearance of the Shrine, and became a distinctive feature and made the hotel a popular Munich attraction.

During the Second world war, the Cathedral suffered serious damage, was also either lost or destroyed most of the historical artifacts of the Church who were inside. Multi-phase restoration began shortly after the war. The restoration was completed in 1994.

Today the Frauenkirche is the main Church of Munich.

The task of the Cathedral is designed very simple, without distinguishing rich and Gothic features and ornaments, that may be observed both in appearance and internal decoration of the Cathedral.

Externally the Munich Cathedral looks monumental and serious. The main part of the building of the Cathedral has a length of 109 meters (358 feet), a width of 40 meters (130 feet) and a height of 37 meters. Two high towers of the Cathedral, located on both sides of the main portal, have a height of 99 meters: the height of the Northern tower is 98,57 meters (323,4 ft), and South of 98.45 meters (323,0 ft).

In accordance with the law enacted in 2004, no buildings within the boundaries of the city centre of Munich can't be built above the towers of the Frauenkirche, i.e., above 99 meters.

These towers of the Cathedral visible from many points in the historical centre of Munich.

View of the Frauenkirche from the observation deck in the tower of the New town hall on Marienplatz. Read more about the New town hall and lookout.

Near the South-Eastern side of the Cathedral, on Frauenplatz (Frauenplatz) cafés and restaurants with tables under the open sky, making the view of the Cathedral from a nearby café even more interesting.

The Interior Of Frauenkirche

Inside the Frauenkirche is impressive for its size and, thanks to neperegruzhayte and simplicity, charm, space.

The Church has three naves: the Central wider and two narrower side. Aisles separated by two rows of tall, 22-foot white columns. All of the columns 22 - 11 on each side. The ceiling of the Church arched ribs, arched Windows have colourful stained glass.

In the Cathedral are: the main altar, organ, several choirs and side chapels, paintings, sculptures and epitaphs, the Cenotaph of Louis IV, "the trail of the devil", as well as automatic watches of the 16th-century lookout tower of the Cathedral.

The large main organ, installed above the main entrance, is one of four organs in the Cathedral, which originate from the workshop of George Yanna (near Regensburg).

The trail of the devil

With the Cathedral associated with many legends, one of which is the Footprint of the devil or the Devil's foot (Teufelstritt).

According to one version, the architect, during the construction of the Cathedral, made a deal with the devil that the latter did not build intrigues, and do not interfere with the construction. The devil promised not to build in the Cathedral close. But a clever architect cheated, and the Church was erected so that from the foyer of the Shrine, where stood the devil, could not see any Windows - they're blocking the powerful columns-columns.

And indeed, in views of the Cathedral, if you stand in the foyer (main portal) of the column to hide the window openings so that Windows are not visible. The window behind the main altar at the end of the Cathedral that you see today, in the Baroque period was nowhere to be seen, since the main high altar was blocking the window.

When the devil discovered that he had been deceived, he, by that time, I could not enter the sanctuary and harm her, as they had already consecrated the Church. The devil could only stand in the foyer and violently stomping a foot, leaving a dark indentation in the floor, which, in confirmation of the legend can be seen today in the foyer of the Cathedral.

This trail is called "Trail of the devil" or "Devil's foot".

View of the Church off the scent of the devil

Cenotaph of Emperor Louis IV by Hans Krumper

Another important element of the Cathedral is the pretended tomb of Ludwig IV of Bavaria.

The monument-Cenotaph (a tomb monument in the place which contains the remains of the deceased - a sort of symbolic grave), the great Wittelsbacher richly decorated with bronze figures and symbols. The upper part of the Cenotaph is decorated with a large Imperial crown, symbolizing the Imperial dignity of Louis the Bavarian.

The Cenotaph can be seen in the right side of the aisle, near the main portal. It was established in 1622 at the initiative of the elector Maximilian I in honor of the deceased Emperor Ludwig the Bavarian.

Under the Cathedral is the Bishops ' crypt, where are buried the archbishops of Munich and Freising, and some members of the Wittelsbach dynasty, including Louis IV, Holy Roman Emperor.

The observation deck in the tower of the Frauenkirche

In the upper part of the South tower of the Munich Cathedral is an observation deck, granting its guests panoramic views of the city and surrounding area and in good weather you can even see the Alps.

Admission to the observation through a small door into the foyer of the Church.

Frauenkirche excursions

You can visit the Frauenkirche on your own or with one of the excursions around Munich

Practical information

The hotel is located in the heart of the Old town of Munich, near the Central square Marienplatz, at Frauenplatz, 12 (Frauenplatz, 12).

The entrance to the Church is free (complimentary) donations are welcome.

The climb to the viewing for a fixed fee.

The website Frauenkirche: muenchner-dom.

This can come in handy
Leave a review ↓
Nobody has left any reviews.