The Maldives - "Paradise on earth", to visit which many aspire.
Most of those people who want to get to the Maldives, use the services of tour operators. Travel packages to the Maldives →
However, to visit the Maldives you can own! That is not difficult, and for some even become an enjoyable pastime and part-time acquaintance with the Islands.
This article presents a step by step guide that gives detailed information about how to organize your unforgettable vacation in Paradise Islands from "A" to "Z".
Maldives (Republic of Maldives) is the world's largest "coral state", located in the southern Asia, group of atolls. Atoll (Atoll) is a coral island or archipelago that has the form of a continuous or broken ring surrounding a lagoon.
The country consists of 1,192 Islands stretching for 871 km and grouped in a double chain of 26 atolls.
The local currency of Maldives is the Maldivian Rufiyaa (MVR). In many places and resorts accept payment in dollars. All major credit cards are also accepted in the country.
Step by step guide independent tourism in the Maldives
For citizens of all countries visa to Maldives is not required. The maximum total number of days allowed visa-free stay in the Maldives is 30 days if bilateral acts or an agreement between countries not otherwise stipulated number of days.
When entering the tourist must have a passport or travel document machine-readable zone (MRZ) and is valid for at least 6 months from the date of arrival. Given the situation of Coronavirus (Covid-19) passport should be valid at least 30 days from the day of arrival.
You will also be required to have:
- hotel/accommodation reservation or travel voucher (if follow the tour to the islands);
- sufficient funds to cover period of intended stay in the Maldives, averaging is recommended to have 50 -100 dollars per person per day;
- a confirmed return ticket to the country of residence or in a third country;
- a certificate of vaccination against yellow fever, if applicable to the different tourists.
In connection with the Coronavirus (Covid-19), all travellers to the Maldives should fill out a Declaration of health traveler (THD) and to submit such for 96 hours before you travel. The Declaration is free, you can fill it online and submit the form electronically from your home.
Attention! The conditions of the visa-free stay may vary. Can also change the requirements in connection with the Coronavirus. Please specify the information just before visiting the Maldives. Official website, where you can specify the conditions and complete the health Declaration: immigration.gov.mv.
Officially, to stay in the Maldives travel insurance is not included in the list of mandatory documents.
However, it's worth to take care of your health and the health of the people close to you, and arrange for an insurance travel policy.
The insurance can be arranged from the comfort of home - online via the Internet.
Flight (air tickets)
The Maldives have a well-developed air transport communication with other countries.
In the Maldives there are several airports, including international.
The most popular airport that serves as the main gateway to the Maldives, is the international airport "Velana" (Velana Gan International Airport / VIA), which has both international and domestic terminals. Airport website: macl.aero.
Airport "Velana" also known as malé international airport and is located on the island Hulule (the island to the airport) in the North malé Atoll, near the capital of Maldives malé island, which is connected to the island airport transportation-pedestrian bridge. Also the island Hulhule associated transport and pedestrian bridge to the island city type Hulhumale.
The airport regularly accepts Velena (poisons) international flights: Sri Lanka (Colombo), Thailand, UAE, Singapore, Russia (Moscow), cities of India, Germany (Frankfurt), etc.
Seasonal international flights are from: Kazakhstan (Almaty), Uzbekistan (Tashkent), the UK (London), France (Paris), Poland (Warsaw) Italy (Milan, Rome, Verona), Austria (Vienna), Germany, China (Hong Kong, Beijing), etc.
Time for a direct flight from Moscow is on average 8 to 9 hours and 30 minutes. Tickets to the Maldives →
Also on the Maldives international airports are:
Gan (Gan International Airport), located on the island Gan in Addu Atoll;
- Hanimaadhoo (Hanimaadhoo International Airport), located on the eponymous island in the Haa Dhaalu (Haa Dhaalu Atoll);
Maafaru (Maafaru International Airport), located on the eponymous island in the Noonu Atoll. The airport receives (sends) flight from Bangladesh, India, Thailand, and, like all international airports in the country, from the Islands of the Maldives themselves.
In addition to direct flights to the Maldives can also be reached with transfers, following through third countries (cities). With this choice of flights is necessary to consider the visa regime and conditions of transit of those countries through which will pass the route. For example, when travelling through Schengen countries, need a valid Schengen visa.
Tickets to the Maldives, both on direct flights and transfers through third countries (cities), it is possible to view and purchase here →
The hotel (island)
The next and last step of self-training holidays in the Maldives will be the choice of accommodation, but rather, to a greater extent is the choice of the island (or Islands if you want to travel around the Maldives and study them better) which will take the rest.
The beaches and lagoons of the Maldives are not only from island to island, but also in different parts of the same island, even the resort, the beach may be different, and it is not only clean white sand is pebbles and seaweed. Over, with the beaches at the resort "caring" is better - they are clean and leveled the sand. Moreover, the beaches of "walk" their blurs on the one hand and on the other namyvaet, so from year to year the picture of the same beaches may be different. Fragments of corals can be found both on the beaches and on the seabed.
Near some Islands in the sea water are baffles, notches from the coast, there are stone barriers near the edge of water or near the coastline.
As mentioned earlier, the Maldives is divided into 26 atolls, which, in turn, consist of a total of 1,192 Islands, which include industrial Islands, island airport, island resorts, local Islands and island nature reserves, visit some of which are only within a guided tour.
For holidays in the Maldives are suitable: Islands-resorts (Islands - hotels - resorts, which not lives the local population) and local Islands (residential Islands).
Islands-resorts (resorts islands) or the Islands resorts / island-hotels - of separate Islands, the whole territory which is a hotel (rarely two or three hotels).
These Islands ("bounty") we see in advertisements and that they prefer the bulk of vacationers in the Maldives.
The locals on these Islands are not permanently inhabited, and work staff. In bars without restrictions pour the alcohol. In the Maldives alcohol is prohibited.
You can dress as anything and go anywhere, whereas in residential (local) Islands to be in swimwear is allowed only on the beaches "Bikini beach" (Bikini Beach).
The island is the resort atmosphere of universal rest and relaxation, and the entire infrastructure focused on tourists: villas on the beaches and in the water, Spa and fitness centers, swimming pools, restaurants and bars, souvenir shops and, most importantly, why all visit the Maldives - it is a clean beach with white soft sand bordered by blue and turquoise waters of the Arabian sea of the Indian ocean.
The size of all of the Maldives is a small, they can easily be explored on foot in 1-2 hours or less. Infrastructure as a reef depend on each island. There are Islands with shallow waters, there are deeper waters and in those in which the depth of sea water occurs almost immediately. There is a more calm and soothing and is designed for active vacationers, which would be, for example: mini Golf, tennis courts, possibility to ride bikes, etc.
Most of the cost of the rooms (bungalows, villas) hotels included to choose from: Breakfast, Breakfast + dinner, Breakfast + lunch + dinner or all inclusive.
Because to eat on the island resort can only in the hotel restaurants, and to purchase alcohol in bars all of the same hotel prices which can be very high, many tourists prefer to take full Board or all-inclusive.
- 5-star Deluxe hotel Kudadoo Maldives Private Island - Luxury All inclusive, considered one of the best in the Maldives.
This is the Central complex, based on the water surface. It is located on a secluded island with an area of 30 000 sq. m.
Features: Spa centre, restaurant, wine cellar and cheese room, a bar, a games room and swimming pool. Link to the hotel
- 5-star hotel The Nautilus Maldives is a small exclusive coral reef, located a few meters from the beaches.
Guests can enjoy free non-motorized water sports, including Windsurfing, Canoeing, sailing and Snorkelling.
Each of the 26 houses features separate living and sleeping areas, as well as a personal Butler, private pool and ocean views. Each house offers free Wi-Fi, complimentary water, tea, coffee, soft drinks, a bottle of champagne on arrival and a gourmet dinner. Includes a Minibar and a wine fridge. Some rooms have glass floor in the living room. Link to the hotel
- 5-star resort, the Waldorf Astoria Maldives Ithaafushi a Spa and Wellness centre, tennis court, fitness centre, children's garden and 11 restaurants including Chinese, middle Eastern, and signature restaurant on the tree.
On site you can go diving and visit the centre of water sports and yoga.
The villas of the hotel: the spacious living area, infinity pool and outdoor pergola. Guests enjoy a selection of tea, Nespresso coffee, mini-bar and the ability to use the iPad.
In each Villa you will find free bikes. Link to the hotel
- 5-star Anantara Kihavah Villas Maldives with private infinity pools, free Wi-Fi, a Spa on the water, a fitness centre and a tennis court. Link to the hotel
- 5-star Pullman resort Maldives All-Inclusive Resort, located in surrounded by forests and natural lakes.
Hotel: 2 pools, 6 restaurants and bars, a Spa and a fitness center.
Guests can enjoy a variety of motorized and non-motorized water sports and scuba diving courses and daily excursions, including Snorkelling, cruise on the Dolphin watching and fishing at sunset.
Two villas have an underwater bedroom. There are also family villas. Link to the hotel
- 5-star resort Soneva Fushi villas and rooms, Butler service, garden, swimming pool, outdoor cinema, restaurants and bars.
The hotel offers free rental bicycles, enjoy free non-motorised water sports or take a trip on a yacht with 2 bedrooms. Link to the hotel
- 5-star resort Banyan Tree Vabbinfaru with free Wi-Fi throughout, a Spa and Wellness centre, a fitness centre, a restaurant, bar and villas with private pools. Link to the hotel
- 5-star resort Spa-the Emerald hotel Maldives Resort & Spa-Deluxe with two swimming pools, a bar, a Spa and Wellness centre, free Wi-Fi and a Deluxe "all inclusive" which includes:
- free welcome drink; Minibar in room; equipment for lessons non-motorized water sports, including snokeling (mask, snorkel and fins); twice a week there is a 20-minute group Snorkelling with the instructor; excursions; wide selection of wines and drinks in bars. Link to the hotel
- 5-star resort Dhigufaru Island Resort with year-round outdoor pool, Spa and fitness centers, restaurant, bar, Billiards, tour Desk, free Wi-Fi, Babysitting services and possibility to enjoy water sports. Link to the hotel
- The 5-star The Sun Siyam Iru Fushi Maldives features a spacious over water villas, a Spa and fitness centres, restaurants, bars, a panoramic swimming pool for adults overlooking the ocean and pool for the whole family surrounded by tropical greenery. Link to the hotel
- 4-star resort & Spa Kuredu Island Resort & Spa with villas on the beach and on the water bungalows on the beach with equipment for water sports, outdoor swimming pool, tour Desk, tour Desk, bar, restaurant, Spa and free fitness centre. There's a home reef. Link to the hotel
The Maldives is whiter budget resorts with classic villas, bungalows and rooms. Over a variety of infrastructure in these hotels will not be as extensive, and the beaches may be a little worse.
From the hotels:
- 3-star resort Fun Island Resort & Spa with 2 restaurants, a fitness centre and Spa, bar with free Wi-Fi and rooms with private balconies.
Guests can play beach volleyball or enjoy water sports, including Windsurfing, Canoeing and diving and Snorkelling. Link to the hotel
- 4-star resort Malahini Kuda Bandos Resort with Wellness centre, hot tub, facilities for water sports and restaurant. Link to the hotel
- 3-star Biyadhoo Island Resort, nestled among tropical greenery.
In hotel: restaurant, bar and a wide selection of water sports. Link to the hotel
- 4-star resort Gangehi Island Resort & Spa with a Spa, a diving centre, a gym, a beach volleyball court and a library with books and DVDs.
For guests, yoga classes and outdoor lessons for various water sports, snorkeling and also fishing and Canoeing. Link to the hotel
- 5-star resort Spa, hotel Royal Island Resort & Spa with tranquil beaches, villas with private patio and ocean views, free Wi-Fi, a Spa centre, beach restaurant, bar, swimming pool and tennis court.
Guests can go diving, take a cruise at sunset, to water skiing or kite surfing. Link to the hotel
- also: 4-star Fihalhohi Island Resort, a 5 star Sun Island Resort & Spa, 4-star Eriyadu Island Resort and 4-star Adaaran Club Rannalhi.
For lovers of the sea depths and their inhabitants - diving and Snorkelling (swimming with a mask and snorkel), it is necessary to pay attention to the island's hotels with a good house reef that will give a great opportunity to enjoy the life of sea "the depths" and their inhabitants without leaving the island.
Best places for scuba diving and snorkeling are the Islands with a narrow home reefs, a large number of channels, and wide lagoons.
Important is the slope of the reef, if he be not harsh and not very gentle, the interesting features of such structures that are similar to overhangs, terraces or caves and are changing with increasing depth.
If you view the reef alone you uncomfortable, guides hotels can arrange a tour of the home reef.
If you don't want to visit the reef, you can always stay in the shallow water near the beach.
House reef is praised at the following resort:
- 5-star resort Hurawalhi Island Resort with the world's largest glass underwater restaurant, an outdoor pool, a Spa centre and a bar. Link to the hotel
- 5-star resort hotel, Robinson Club Maldives-Adults Only - all inclusive with bungalows and villas with Spa tubs, terraces and tropical outdoor shower, free use of Snorkelling equipment. Link to the hotel
- 5-star resort Diamonds Athuruga all inclusive with spacious villas set over-water and garden bungalows, a Spa center with Ayurvedic treatments, diving centre and restaurants. Link to the hotel
- 5 star resort OBLU SELECT at Sangeli - Premium All Inclusive with Free Transfers with a premium service on system "all inclusive", free-standing villas and suites, an outdoor pool, restaurant, gym, over the water, a Spa, a garden and a Wellness complex. Link to the hotel
- 5-star resort W Maldives suitable for a relaxing holiday, with villas with private plunge pools, a Spa, a diving centre, a fitness centre, an infinity pool, bar and restaurant. Link to the hotel
- 5-star resort, the eco-friendly Angsana Ihuru resort with 5-star dive centre, cooking classes Asian cuisine, tours of the underwater Safari, a restaurant, a bar and free Wi-Fi. Link to the hotel
- The 5-star Dusit Thani Maldives with villas decorated in Thai style and residences, located in the biosphere reserve in the Maldives included in the list of reserves of UNESCO.
In the hotel: one of the largest panoramic swimming pools in the Maldives, a Spa in the trees, free Wi-Fi, a restaurant over the water, restaurant on the beach, bars and the reef that stretches all around the island. Link to the hotel
- 5-star resort Mirihi Island Resort with excellent house reef, villas near the beach or on the water, free Wi-Fi in all rooms, 3 catering establishments and a Spa.
On the beach you can enjoy water sports, including Windsurfing and sailing. Link to the hotel
- 5-star boutique hotel Milaidhoo Island Maldives, located in the biosphere reserve of UNESCO, near the Bay Hanifaru.
On site: a protected coral reef, which is considered one of the best places for Snorkelling and diving. Popular outdoor activities include sailing, kayaking and riding on yachts and catamarans.
The hotel: the air-conditioned villas with a sun terrace with a private freshwater swimming pool and panoramic views of the nature of the island.
It offers round the clock services of a personal assistant. Link to the hotel
- 4-star resort Spa Lily Beach Resort and Spa all-inclusive villas and suites with free Wi-Fi in all areas, 2 outdoor pools, a diving centre, restaurants and bars. Link to the hotel
- 4-star resort Sandies Bathala with villas on the water, a fitness center, tour Desk, shared lounge, restaurant, swimming pool and free Wi-Fi. Link to the hotel
- A 4-star resort hotel Mallorca Island features an outdoor pool, a fitness centre, a restaurant, bar, evening entertainment and bar. Link to the hotel
- 4-star resort Fihalhohi Island Resort with lush vegetation, a diving school, a restaurant, a bar and a fitness centre. Link to the hotel
- also: the 5-star Kandolhu Maldives, 5-star Baros Maldives, a 5 star Reethi Faru / Bio Luxury Resort, 4 star OBLU by Atmosphere at Helengeli-All-Inclusive with free Transfers, 4-star Filitheyo Island Resort, 4-star Bandos Maldives with Free Transfers, 4-star Ellaidhoo Maldives by Cinnamon, 3-star Embudu Village Resort and 3-star Biyadhoo Island Resort.
The local Islands (the local islands) is the island where the locals live.
On these Islands has created an infrastructure for permanent life: streets, houses, shops, cafes, schools, mosques, etc.
Also on the Islands are the local hotels (gethouse) and apartments. Accommodations island resorts are small and it is possible to move on foot.
A local of the island, of course, not the Maldives dream of many. The beaches can be mediocre, the service is not at the highest level, alcohol is prohibited (the Maldives is a Muslim country). To be in bathing suits on the beaches "Bikini beach", which is quite a lot. However, on some of the Islands housing is cheaper and to get to the Islands independently.
Thanks to all that stay on the local island can be a good solution for those who want to relax in the Maldives over a budget, because the hotels on these Islands are sometimes even cheaper than in your nearby town.
Local Islands in the Maldives many:
Villingili (Villingili), Gali or Guli (Gulhi), Guraidhoo (Guraidhoo), Dharavandhoo (Dharavandhoo), Dhangethi (Dhangethi), Dhigurah or Dhigurah (Dhigurah), Dhiffushi (Dhiffushi), Kendhoo (Kendhoo), Kudahuvadhoo (Kudahuvadhoo), Maamigili (Beach), Maafushi (Maldives Islands), Mathiveri or Mathiveri (Mathiveri), Rasdhoo (Rasdhoo), Todd (Thoddoo), Thulusdhoo (Thulusdhoo), Ukulhas (Ukulhas), Fuvahmulah (Fuvahmulah), Fuladu (Fulhadhoo), Huraa (Huraa), etc.
The best are: Todd (hotels), Fuladu (hotels), Maafushi (hotels), Mathiveri (hotels), Dhigurah (hotels) and Ukulhas (hotels).
Local Islands near malé airport:
- Hulhumale - an island town, which has a beach strip. Hotels in Hulhumale →
- Male - beaches per se, is the capital of the Republic of Maldives and also the largest settlement. Hotels in Male (Male City) →
Usually tourists use the island of Hulhumale and male ' to spend the night after arrival or before departure close to the airport, and also, if anyone is interested, is to walk and see life of local residents.
Hotels near malé airport: a 3-star Hulhule Island and the house Noah Safari Vesselsituated on the boat.
!!! We do not recommend a particular hotel, resort or a local island. The choice of location and accommodation facilities are all very individually. In such matters all opinions: "Like" or "dislike" is purely subjective.
In the Maldives, as elsewhere in the world, not always 5-star hotel 4-star and higher hotel price categories will not always be better than the budget accommodation. Besides, the prices can vary depending on season, conditions in the world, country, etc.
The only thing you can say: "When choosing a vacation spot and hotel in the Maldives is only guided by personal preferences, desires and pursue its own opportunities."
When choosing the island as the resort, and a local, you can start from the Atoll where the island is.
The Atoll near malé airport:
Northern Male (North Kaafu Atoll / Kaafu Atoll). Hotels in Atoll →
- South Male (South Kaafu Atoll / Kaafu Atoll). Hotels in Atoll →
- Ari Alifu Atoll (Ari Atoll / Alifu Alifu Atoll). Hotels in Atoll →
- Rasdhoo (Rasdhoo). Hotels →
- Vaavu Atoll (Vaavu atoll). Hotels →
Atolls in the North of the Maldives:
- BAA (Baa Atoll). Hotels in Atoll →
Of recently presented or Lhaviyani (Lhaviyani Atoll). Hotels in Atoll →
- RAA (Raa Atoll). Hotels in Atoll →
- Haa Alifu (Haa Alifu Atoll / Thiladhunmathi Atoll). Hotels in Atoll →
- Noone or Noone (Noonu Atoll). Hotels in Atoll →
- Shaviyani or Saviani (Shaviyani Atoll). Hotels in Atoll →
- Haa Dhaalu Atoll (Haa Dhaalu Atoll). Hotels in Atoll →
The southern atolls of the Maldives:
- Dhaalu (Dhaalu Atoll). Hotels in Atoll →
- Gaafu (Huvadhoo Atoll). Hotels in Atoll →
- Seenu or Addu city (Addu Atoll). Hotels in Atoll →
- Laamu (Laamu Atoll). Hotels in Atoll →
- Faafu (North Nilandhe Atoll). Hotels in Atoll →
- Meemu (Meemu Atoll). Hotels in Atoll →
- Thaa Atoll (Thaa Atoll / Kolhumadulu Atoll). Hotels in Atoll →
All accommodation facilities in the Maldives you can view and book here
How to get to the hotel in the Maldives
If you want to relax on the island-a resort, these hotels for an additional fee (rarely included in the price) can arrange transfers from the airport to the hotel and from the hotel to the airport. Also some hotels on the local Islands can provide Shuttle services at a surcharge.
The transfer includes a trip to the island by speedboat or seaplane.
When booking the hotel Booking.com the terms of the transfer and the cost of the service is described at the bottom of the page in the "notes" section. The service can be ordered when booking, or later by contacting the hotel and providing information about the flights arrival and departure. After which the hotel will send instructions on how you should act on arrival. It often happens so - on arrival you go to a certain Desk at the airport and from there you take it. All the conditions and cost of the transfer depend on the specific hotel.
Between the local Islands can move independently on public passenger ferries and regular boats that connect many of the local Islands (atolls) in Maldives.
On some Islands can be reached by ferry or a cargo agreement with local fishermen.
Attention! Friday - day off in the Maldives, the public ferries don't run.
You can also book a seaplane or travel with domestic airlines that perform flights to the airports located on Islands. Several daily flights are operated from international airport Whelan (male) to 12 domestic and international airports in the country.
Airports in the Maldives:
- Velana / male (Velana International Airport) is the main international and domestic airport of the country;
Gan (Gan International Airport), located on the island Gan in Addu Atoll (Addu Atoll);
- Hanimaadhoo (Hanimaadhoo International Airport), located on the eponymous island in the Haa Dhaalu (Haa Dhaalu Atoll);
Maafaru (Maafaru International Airport), on the homonymous island in the Noonu Atoll (Noonu Atoll);
- Dharavandhoo (Dharavandhoo Airport), on the same island in BAA Atoll (Baa Atoll);
- Fuvahmulah (Fuvahmulah Airport), on the island of Fuvahmulah (Fuvahmulaku) in Gnaviyani Atoll (Gnaviyani Atoll);
Manavaralu or Manarola (Maavaarulaa Airport / Maavarulu Airport), on the same island in the gaafu Dhaalu (Gaafu Dhaalu Atoll);
Efuru (Ifuru Airport), on the homonymous island in the RAA Atoll (Raa Atoll);
Kaadedhdhoo (Kaadedhdhoo Airport), on the same island in the gaafu Dhaalu (Gaafu Dhaalu Atoll);
Kaddu (Kadhdhoo Airport), on the homonymous island in the Laamu Atoll (Laamu Atoll);
Kuddu (Kooddoo Airport), on the homonymous island in the Atoll of Gaaf Alif (Gaafu Alifu Atoll);
- Dhaalu (Dhaalu Airport) on the island Kudahuvadhoo (Kudahuvadhoo) in Dhaalu Atoll (Dhaalu Atoll);
- Villa (Villa Maamigili airport / Villa Airport Beach) on the island of Maamigili in Alifu Atoll Dhaalu (Alif Dhaal Atoll);
- Thermafuse (Thimarafushi Airport), on the homonymous island in the Atoll thaa Atoll (Thaa Atoll);
- Kulhudhuffushi (Kulhudhuffushi Airport), on the same island in the Haa Dhaalu (Haa Dhaalu Atoll);
- Now (Funadhoo Airport), on the homonymous island in the Shaviyani Atoll (Shaviyani Atoll).
Ferries to local Islands leave from male ' ferry terminals is located directly on the island of malé. Whelan from the airport to the ferry terminals can be reached by ferry (frequency every 10 minutes from 6:00 to 23:59 and every 30 minutes from 00:00 to 6:00), bus (frequency every 30 minutes), by taxi, if on foot (a distance about 4.6 kilometers).
At the airport, near the arrival terminal is an information Desk, which works round the clock and seven days a week, where you can specify all necessary information about hotel, transport, tickets, price, airport or airline.