Asam Church, Munich (Asamkirche) - church of St. John of Nepomuk (+ Asam house)

Asamkirche - Baroque Church in the old town of Munich.

The official name of the Asamkirche is the Church of St. John Nepomuk.

Asamkirche is also known as the Asam Brothers Church.

The church was erected in the period from 1733 to 1746 by the Asam brothers: sculptor, painter and plasterer Egid Kvirin Asam and sculptor, artist and architect Kosmas Damian Asam.

The original Egid, along with his brother bought a few houses on the street Sendlinger straße and built his house between 1729 - 1733 years, which became a masterpiece of late Baroque. Today the building is known as the home of Azam, or the house of Asamov (Azamay, Asam-Haus / Asamhaus).

Then, near his home, the brothers built a Church in late Baroque style, which was to serve as a private chapel of Asimov. However, the public was against it and only after quite long negotiations, the brothers were allowed to build a Church, but only with guaranteed access for the population. The unfinished Church was built in 1746.

The Church was built in a very small space - a plot size 22х8 meters.

The Church was consecrated as the Church of St. John Nepomuk.

So in Munich, appeared the masterpiece of the late Baroque, which is an architectural ensemble consisting of the former house of the brothers Azam and Asamkirche.

The house and Site are located near each other, at the following address: Sendlinger Str. 32 and 34.

Both buildings stand out with impressive facades, architectural unified. The facades of the buildings inscribed in a single row with the other buildings on the street Sendlinger Church, and only slightly outside this range.

The facade of the house of Asamov decorated with exquisite moldings. Lainnya decoration smeyatsa gracefully between the Windows of the house and Shine a Golden color on a white background.

The Church is a massive stone columns above the main portal, with a statue of St. Nepomuk, which, together with the statues of angels at the feet of the Saint, located directly above the portal. In the upper pediment depicts the divine virtues: faith, love and hope.

Today the Heart is considered to be one of the most significant architectural structures of the late Baroque in southern Germany and is the undisputed jewel of Munich.

The heart on the right. The house of Asamov - left


Today the house of Azam can be seen only outside, but in Church you can enter and view the interior of the Shrine.

The interior of the Church certainly gives the impression and affects the abundance of stucco, paintings and jewelry.

The internal space of Church is divided vertically into three sections, which become better in the upward direction. The lower part of the Church with benches for visitors is made in relatively dark colors and its design symbolizes the suffering of the world. The second tier was bright with bluish tones, dedicated to the Emperor. The upper part of the Heart with the painted ceiling dedicated to God and eternity.

The ceiling fresco "Life of Saint Nepomuk" is considered one of the masterpieces of Kosmas Damian Azam.

In the Church is a small confessional. The main altar is framed by four spiral columns that refer to columns by Bernini over the tomb of St. Peter in St. Peter's Church in Rome. Earlier, the brothers ASAM was studying in Italy. On top depicts the God, Savior and Creator. Below the tabernacle, which houses the relic of St. John of Nepomuk.

As a result of a bomb explosion in 1944, the choir of the Church was badly damaged. In the period from 1975 to 1983 was made the inner reconstruction of a hypothetical original appearance of the choir.

Compared to conventional canonical churches, the Church Site has some special features due to its original status as a private chapel: the Church altar is situated in the West, not the East as usual. In addition, the crucifix opposite the chair was too low, whereas in the Baroque churches, the crucifix was hanging above the pulpit so that the preacher could watch him during the service.

Why the Church was consecrated in honor of St. John of Nepomuk?

There are different points of view on why the brothers Asami consecrated the Church in honor of St. John of Nepomuk.

On the one hand, Nepomuk has been the patron of the electorate of Bavaria, and with another - the laying of the first stone fell on the day named Johann von Nepomuk.

The legend, in turn, tells about the journey of the brothers on the Danube in Weltenburg Abbey when the brothers wanted to deliver a valuable sculpture on the ship. During the voyage a strong wind blew, and my brothers threatened death. In fear of capsizing the brothers appealed to the Holy Nepomuk, who was canonized in 1729 and has since been considered the patron Saint not only of the Czech Republic, but also bridges, cities, and other structures. After the brothers asked of Nepomuk on the protection, their ship was saved from the winds and floods on the Danube.

This can come in handy
Leave a review ↓
Nobody has left any reviews.