Villa del Principe, also known as the Prince's Palace or the Palazzo di Andrea Doria, is the largest and most luxurious noble residence in the center of Genoa, built as a private country mansion that belonged to several generations of the Doria Pamphili family, originally Genoese admiral and statesman Andrea Doria.
The current structure of the Villa is the result of multiple interventions that make impossible a single definition of its architectural style.
North facade facing the street of San Benedetto (Via S. Benedetto) is very simple in execution, whereas the South facing the sea, more refined, and concludes in the architecture of the loggia and terrace with asymmetry, as well as the colonnade.
The Eastern facade of the Villa Principe (entrance to the garden and the Museum).
At Villa Andrea hosted the Emperor Charles V in 1533.
Near the Villa there is a beautiful garden with flowerbeds, walking paths, sculptures and a fountain of Triton in the center.
Entrance to the garden is free.
Statue of Triton in the garden of the Villa Principe.
Of special interest is the interior of the Villa, in which are preserved frescoes with mythological themes and tapestries, and monumental stairs.
Rooms are furnished with furniture of the seventeenth and eighteenth centuries, which also presents an extensive collection of paintings, including works by Sebastiano del Piombo, Domenico Piola and Bronzino.
Today, the Villa houses a Museum. Entrance fee.
Villa Andrea Doria in Genoa, on the same Piazza del Principe, 4, near the train station Principe (Genova Piazza Principe).
Information for visiting the Villa Principe: doriapamphilj