Cooperation: info@life-globe.com
Search Blog
Car Hire – Search, Compare & Booking → Compare 500 companies at over 10,000 locations. Best price guaranteed

Street 20 September, Genoa (Via XX Settembre)

Street on September 20 (Via XX Settembre) is one of the main streets in the centre of Genoa and the main artery of the commercial district of the city.

The length of the via 20 September is around 850 meters. The street runs in the direction from East to West, effectively connecting the two largest square of the city: the Ferrari square (Central square of Genoa) and Piazza Vittoria / Vittoria (Piazza della Vittoria), near the station Brignole (Genova Brignole).

Birth current street September 20 is the end of 19 - beginning of 20 centuries, where, since 1892, it was decided to restructure the centre. The design of the streets was entrusted to the engineer Cesare Gamba. The most expressive buildings along the street in the style of "Liberty" was erected between 1892 and 1912 years.

Later the sidewalks on half the streets were expanded to provide a greater flow of pedestrians.

Along the street on 20 September is passing by the road and sidewalks on both sides. Particie building on the first floor are located the boutiques, shops and cafes, attracted by the neo-Renaissance style with intricate decoration of the facades, massive protruding balconies, pilasters and exterior Windows.

The major sites and attractions of the street on 20 September

Eastern market (Mercato Orientale)

The Eastern market is located at Via XX Settembre 75r, occupies and unfinished Augustinian monastery attached to the nearby Church of Consolation, and is a fairly large indoor food market with bars.

In the market you can buy fresh vegetables, fruits and herbs, fish and seafood, meats, cheeses, sausages and ham, wine, olives and olive oil, pastries, dried fruits, herbs, etc.

Church of the Consolation (Chiesa della Consolazione)

Full name - the Church of the Dormition of the Holy virgin and Martyr St. Vincent (chiesa di Nostra Signora della Consolazione e San Vincenzo martire), also known as the Church of Santa Rita or Santa Rita (chiesa di Santa Rita).

The building was constructed in 1681 1706 years, but the Church was opened for worship already in 1693. In 1769, the Shrine was equipped with a dome, designed by Simone Cantoni.

Began construction of the monastery, which was never completed, and the walls of which in the late nineteenth century is the Eastern market.

The facade of the Church in Baroque style was completed Carlo Biale only in 1864. On the main entrance portal is a marble statue of the sixteenth century depicting the Madonna and child. The original, heavily damaged during the hostilities, is now stored inside the Church.

The entrance to the Church is level with the old road, therefore, now the entrance is located below street level on September 20.

The Church has three naves, divided by massive rectangular columns with an arched ceiling. Above the main altar hung a large crucifix (about 5x4 metres).

The decoration of the Church looks richly decorated with frescoes and statues.

The monumental bridge (Ponte Monumentale)

The bridge is an impressive marble structure with several arches, columns and sculptural elements.

The monumental bridge is like dissecting a street on 20 September and is located on the place where the Porta Dell'arco, from the walls of the sixteenth century, the so-called "New walls".

The role of a bridge is to connect the two transport system: the lower one (via XX Settembre) and one at a higher level (corso Podestà).

The Church of Santo Stefano (Chiesa di Santo Stefano)

In contrast to the Church of Consolation, located below street level, the Church of Santo Stefano is located above the road (on a hill) and visually dominates the surrounding buildings.

Church or Abbey of Santo Stefano (abbazia di Santo Stefano) is one of the most significant examples of Romanesque architecture in the Ligurian capital. It is believed that this Church was baptized by Christopher Columbus and the young Balilla.

The current Church building was built on the remains of a small Shrine of the 5th century, dedicated to St. Michael the Archangel. The oldest document, which mentions the act of donation, dated April 1 965 year.

With 972 in 1431, the Church belonged to the monks of the Abbey of San Colombano di Bobbio, then, in 1529 1797 years - the Benedictine monks of Monte Oliveto.

Important restoration works, require the demolition of some of the chapels, was held at the end of the 19th century on the occasion of the extension of the street September 20. The Church was closed almost the entire first half of the twentieth century and was completely restored in the period from 1946 to 1955.

The dome was rebuilt of brick in 1306, has an octagonal shape. The lower part of the bell tower is of uncertain date of construction, but it is thought that it predates the Church and was originally a watchtower.

The main portico, situated in the lower level of the Church, as well as the Central facade of the Church has the typical gray and white stripes Genoese architecture. The portico was constructed at the turn of the 19th and 20th centuries on the occasion of the construction of a street on September 20.

The Church has a rectangular plan with a single nave, with a lofty chancel, under which is a crypt, probably the original nucleus of the old small Church.

Palazzo della Borsa (Palazzo della Borsa)

Or stock exchange Palace (Palazzo della Nuova Borsa Valori) is located at the intersection of Piazza de Ferrari, the street on 20 September and Dante street (Via Dante) which leads to the house of Christopher Columbus (Casa di Cristoforo Colombo).

The architecture and decoration of the Palace was to demonstrate the financial strength, when the Genoese market had large volumes in the beginning of the 20th century. And, without a doubt, this stately building reflects not only power but also beauty and grace, woven together and has already become an integral part of the Piazza.

Today the building is used as exhibition space and is equipped for conferences and exhibitions. The walls of the Palace there is a cafe.

Street view September 20 from Piazza de Ferrari. Read more about Piazza de Ferrari in Genoa.

All accommodation facilities in Genoa, including in the city center, near the beaches and more remote from them, can be viewed and booked here booking

Useful for trips / travel

Trip Planner →

Hello reader!

It's a little awkward to ask, but we need your help. We are non-profit and we do not have regular income. We depend on orders and donations exclusively from readers, that is, from you. If you make an order through our site or donate as much as you can, this site will be filled with useful information for you. Thank.

Donate now →
Leave a review ↓
Nobody has left any reviews.