Spinola Bay is a bay located in the city of St Julian's on the island of Malta, on the border of the most tusovochny place in Malta - the district of Pacheville, also part of the city of St Julian's.
Spinola Bay is probably one of the most famous in Malta, as well as the most sought-after and busiest place in St Julian's.
The charm of Spinola Bay is that it harmoniously combines the new and the old, and along the Bay is the promenade, along which dense buildings, so characteristic of small Maltese cities.
The Northern part of the Bay is a quieter place. Here the promenade directly approaches the waters of the Mediterranean sea. There are places to relax, fisherman sculpture, colorful fishing boats, cafes and restaurants with outdoor terraces.
Almost on the outskirts of the Northern part of the Bay of Spinola is a 4-star hotel Cavalieri Art with sun terrace and swimming pool on the beach. In some room rates include Breakfast.
The Western part of the Bay Spinola
- the small Church of the Immaculate Conception, the first stone of which was laid June 16, 1687, and the Shrine was consecrated on 10 September 1688. The Church was expanded and its facade rebuilt in 1914;
- sculpture "LOVE" in mirror - one of the favorite places for photographing and meetings;
- Statue of the Sacred Heart of Jesus.
The southern coast of Spinola Bay is characterized by a long promenade, by the standards of Malta, along which there are places for recreation, as well as a mixture of architectural styles, which are reflected in the ambiguous combination of new and old Maltese buildings.
Walking along this part of the Bay Promenade, you can reach the nearby Balluta Bay, the main highlight of which is the neo-Gothic Parish Church of the Carmelites - the main and most beautiful church of the city of St. Julians.
Near the Gulf of Spinola is the Palace of the same name (Maltese name Palazz ta' Spinola), also known as the house of Spinola and Villa Spinola - a Palace built in the 17th century by Fra Paolo Rafel Spinola, knight of the order of St. John.
The Palace was enlarged in the 18th century. Later the design was developed by Romano Carapecchia, which is considered a masterpiece.
The palace was adaptively converted to a military hospital, serving between 1860 and 1922, and was known as the Forrest Hospital. It later served for a number of purposes, including a post-World War II shelter for the homeless, a short-lived Museum of Modern Art and the Ministry for Tourism. From late 2007 till present the building actively hosts the Headquarters of the Parliamentary Assembly of the Mediterranean.
The Palace is a large three-storey building in the Baroque style. The facade is decorated with sculptural clock, which is a unique feature of secular Baroque architecture in Malta.
Initially, the Palace was surrounded by extensive gardens, open to the public, but there is little left of them. Currently there are two gardens, one in front and one behind the palace, only the front garden is open to the public.
Originally the Palace was built on the rocky shore of the Gulf of Spinola, but today it is separated from the Bay by modern buildings, and near the Palace is Portomaso Marina - the most fashionable residential complex in Malta and Portomaso Business tower - tower, which is the tallest building in Malta.