The small resort town of Santa Margherita Ligure, located on the east of the Ligurian Riviera, attracts not only a long coastline with beaches, quiet measured atmosphere, but also some significant attractions located both near the coast and in the center of the city.
Sights In Santa Margherita Ligure. What to see, where to go in Santa Margherita Ligure
The Quay of Santa Margherita Ligure
- a monumental fountain with a marble monument to Christopher Columbus, made by sculptor Odoardo Tabacchi in 1892.
Near the monument is the old gun (Il Cannone), probably used during hostilities.
- the bronze monument to king of the Kingdom of Sardinia, first king of a unified Italy, Victor Emanuel II, mounted on a high pedestal. Read more about the promenade of Santa Margherita Ligure...
The port of Santa Margherita Ligure (harbour)
The port of Santa Margherita Ligure is separated by jetties from the main part of the coast of the city and was designed in the mid-19th century to ensure mainly the safety of navigation, gradually developed a tourist destination and over the years has become one of the main berths for pleasure boats, without giving up its original purpose.
In spring and autumn the pier is the venue for prestigious sailing regattas.
From the port you can take a boat trip to Portofino or the national Park Cinque Terre.
On the platform of the pier of port, closest to the central beaches - Molo Maloncello, located the sculpture devoted to Saint Margherita Antiochiyscaja, the patroness of the city who turned the face to sea waters.
Basilica of St. Margaret of Antioch (Chiesa di Santa Margherita d Antiochia)
Formerly the temple of Our Lady of the Rose (Santuario di Nostra Signora della Rosa).
Big, beautiful and Central temple of the city, located in the heart of Santa Margherita Ligure on the square of Caprera (Piazza Caprera).
The construction of the Church in Baroque style was begun in 1658 on the remains of a 13th-century building. The bell tower on the right was erected in 1750. The left side is the bell tower dates from 1927.
The Church in the plan made in the form of a Latin cross and topped by a large dome. On the facade of the building is notable niches with statues of saints apostles Peter and Paul, and the two towers-the bell tower with the clock in the upper parts.
The inner space of the Shrine is bright and colorful, divided into three naves by massive columns, decorated with frescoes and stuccoes.
The walls of the church are remarkable: the main altar, where the sacred image is dedicated to the Madonna del Rosario; the big organ of 1964; Church painting and sculptural works.
Giuseppe Mazzini Square (Piazza Giuseppe Mazzini)
A small square located in the centre of Santa Margherita Ligure, the center is the monument of Italian politician and patriot, writer and philosopher Giuseppe Mazzini (1805 - 1872), was mounted on a high pedestal.
Within the area stands a small Church - oratorio della Madonna del Suffragio (Oratorio della Madonna del Suffragio), also known as oratorio in prayer for the good death (Oratorio della Buona Morte e Orazione), located near the town Hall.
The Shrine was erected in 1523. Significant reconstruction dates back to the late nineteenth century, when the facade was completely rebuilt.
The recent restoration of the interior allowed the restoration of the organ of 1686, which was considered the oldest in Liguria and the painting of Christ in chains. The restoration of other paintings and statues was also carried out.
The Church of San Siro (Chiesa di San Siro)
The parish church of San Siro dates from the 14th century. It was restored in 1888 and today appears as a three-nave structure. The consecration took place in July 1911.
Inside you will find hardwood statue sculpture Anton Maria Maragliano with the image of the virgin Mary in the chapel to the left of the main nave and the painting of Valerio Castello with images of saints Sebastiano, Lorenzo and Rocco.
The oratory of saints Bernardo and Lucia (Oratorio dei Santi Bernardo e Lucia)
The Church is located in the city centre, in San Bernardo square (Piazza S. Bernardo).
Few documents dating the birth of the brotherhood, which took the same name, have survived. Date of founding is disputed, but the first documentary attestation dates from the year 1503, when Giovanni Bancherio bequeathed a legacy in three of the Lira in favor of oratory.
Originally, the oratorship dates back to 1582, but was completely rebuilt in 1653. In the following decades, the furniture was removed and the main altar and two side altars were restored (1704).
Church Of Our Lady Of Sorrow (N. S. P. Zza SS Addolorata Oratorio)
The oratory of the virgin of pain is located in the historical centre of Santa Margherita Ligure, in the narrow streets, and it is practically not visible, because standing close to more modern buildings.
The Shrine is a building in the Baroque style of the fourteenth century. Inside is an organ made by the Rokkatalyat brothers. Inside is the body of brothers Roccatagliata.
On Tunisia Street (Via Tunisia), between two houses is a small historical fragment in the form of an arch with three smaller arches over the main. In the upper small Central arch is a sculpture.
This monument is sometimes called the portal.
The Castle Of Santa Margherita Ligure
The castle is located near the waterfront, at the foot of the hill.
The construction of the castle dates back to 1550, thanks to the decision of the Senate of the Republic of Genoa, which ordered to build the estate for protection from the raids of the Saracen pirates.
During the history of the defensive castle underwent several structural interventions and modernization of weapons until the beginning of the seventeenth century. From the eighteenth century, it lost its military significance, primarily due to the cessation of pirate invasions, and therefore only some repairs were carried out.
In the nineteenth century the castle was twice at risk of demolition. At the end of the First world war, the castle was rebuilt and named in memory of the fallen in the great war.
The Church of the Capuchin friars (Convent of the Capuchin Friars)
The Church is located near the castle and dates back to the 17th century.
Inside the Shrine are the wooden crucifix of the 15th century and a marble sculpture of the second half of the 12th century, depicting the enthroned Madonna - the product protogotic culture, made by the sculptor from the region Ile-de-France.
Villa Durazzo-Centurione is a complex of two historic buildings (Durazzo-Centurione and San Giacomo), one of which is a museum.
Near the houses there is an Italian park-garden, with panoramic views of the port and the coast of Santa Margherita Ligure, as well as the sea. Read more about Villa Durazzo...
The Church of San Giacomo di Corte (Chiesa di S. Giacomo)
The parish church of San Giacomo di Corte, or the temple of Our Lady of the Letter (Santuario di Nostra Signora della Lettera) is located on a hill near the complex of Villa Durazzo.
The Church was built in the 17th century, but some historical sources describe the building in the year 1000.
Made in the Baroque style. Its main facade is decorated with a marble statue of St. James, located in a niche above the main entrance.
The Shrine is divided into three naves by two rows of high columns, connected by arched openings.
In the walls of the Church are remarkable: colorful murals, Golden color and large chandeliers and a statue of the Madonna della Lettera created in 1766 by an unknown sculptor, and several cycles of frescoes of the artist Nicolò Barabino.
Church of Sant Erasmo (Oratorio di Sant'erasmo)
The Church is located on the promenade of Santa Margherita Ligure.
In the walls of the Church are models of ships and collected items that belonged to the fishermen who inhabited this area.
Complex Cervara Abbey (L'abbazia della Cervara)
The complex is located on a hillside in the southern end of the coast of Santa Margherita Ligure.
The complex consists of Church, monastery and large Park with garden. In 1912 it was declared an Italian national monument. Currently at the Abbey, which is in private ownership, wedding ceremonies are held.
The Paraggi castle (Castello di Paraggi)
Historical building castle of Paraggi today is a private residence, decorating a seaside Santa Margherita Ligure
The castle is located within the Bay of Paraggi.
The Bay of Paraggi is famous for its homonymous beach of Paraggi (Spiaggia di Paraggi), which is a tourist attraction, famous for crystal clear sea water. Read more about Bay of Paraggi...
19th century Villa
Villa of the 19th century, located almost on the border of Santa Margherita Ligure and Rapallo, formerly belonged to an aristocratic family.
Near the former Villa the hotel Imperiale is a bridge and another Villa of exquisite architecture.
In Santa Margherita Ligure, there are other remarkable monuments, monuments, as well as buildings that stand out for their architecture, including historical ones, which can be seen walking along the streets of the city center and along the coastline.