Portofino, in itself, is an attraction to visit which many tourists seek.
However, the city has several notable places and objects, the bulk of which is concentrated in the center of this tiny, luxurious resort.
Sightseeing In Portofino. What to see, where to go in Portofino
The harbour of Portofino and Martiri Dell Olivetta
Harbour Portofino is a small harbour (port, bay), around which are grouped the small town of Portofino.
From the city, near the harbour, is the most famous and visited area of Portofino Martiri Dell Olivetta (Piazza Martiri Dell Olivetta) better known as the Piazzetta (Piazzetta).
The harbour and the square represent a single whole and are most sought after location in Portofino.
Along the perimeter of Martiri del Olivetta square, colorfully painted buildings are located close to each other, on the ground floors of which there are cafes and restaurants with outdoor tables. Read more about the port and the Piazzetta...
Museum Park (Museo del Parco) is a centre of outdoor sculpture, created in the early eighties and based on the garden terraces at different levels.
The Museum is located near the Harbor of Portofino on Molo Umberto I.
Visiting the Museum is possible from June to end of September every day except Tuesday. The entrance ticket is 5 Euros.
Roma Street (Via Roma) is the main street of Portofino, leading from the Piazza della Libertà, where buses from Santa Margherita Ligure arrive, to the main square of Portofino - Martiri del Olivetta.
The length of the street is only about 200 meters. Along the street are concentrated the most elite shops and boutiques of Portofino, there are also cafes, restaurants, 5-star hotel Belmond Splendido Mare, Appartamento Portofino, and apartments U Camin.
Church Of The Assumption Of The Blessed Virgin Mary
Oratory Church of the assumption of the blessed virgin Mary or Santa Maria Assunta (Oratory of Santa Maria Assunta / Oratorio di Nostra Signora Assunta) is in Gothic style.
The oratory, named after the Assumption, was founded in the 14th century. During the fifteenth century, the church underwent several structural changes.
The outer portal of the Church was erected during the Renaissance.
Inside the Shrine are two large crucifixes - one white and one black, who weigh 105 and 115 pounds respectively. The crucifixion and currently "participate" in the procession on the occasion of the feast of St. George.
The Church is located in the heart of Portofino, near the harbour in Via Roma, 26.
The Municipal Theater (Il Teatrino Comunale), the municipality of Portofino, is a hall of culture and a meeting place for world-famous personalities, where they also hold important exhibitions, conferences and seminars.
The building is located on the square of the libertà (Piazza della Libertà).
St. Martin's Church
St. Martin's Church or the Church of San Martino (Divo Martino / Chiesa di San Martino) - the Catholic Church located in the heart of the tiny Portofino, in its oldest part.
The church is one of the symbols of Portofino and its decoration, as well as the largest church and the main temple of the city.
The Church most likely dates back to the period between the 10th and 12th centuries. It was built in the Roman-Lombard style, replacing the earlier and primitive chapel, located on the pier.
During its history the Church has repeatedly undergone changes and alterations. Major changes were made during the nineteenth century.
Inside the Church are: the organ and some valuable paintings and sculptures. Read more about St. Martin's Church...
St. George's Church and viewpoint
St. George's Church or the Church of San Giorgio (Chiesa di San Giorgio) Catholic Church, located on the promontory of Portofino.
According to the plaque located in the Church, the Shrine was built in the Romanesque style in 1154.
The exterior and interior of the church are simple and quite modest.
Inside are the relics of St. George, the patron Saint of Portofino, brought by sailors returning from the Crusades.
Behind the Church there is an ancient local cemetery.
Near the main entrance to the Church is a square, which is also the same viewpoint (Terrazza San Giorgio), which offers the best of Portofino panoramic views of the harbour of Portofino, as well as the Central square of the city of Martiri del Olivetta, sea waters and wild rocky coast of the Cape. Read more about St. George's Church and the observation deck...
Castle brown - main attraction after Portofino Harbor and main square.
Located a stone castle on top of a promontory, near the Church of St. George and gracefully rises above the Bay of Portofino (Golfo del Tigullio).
History Castle brown originates from 1 400 years when the castle was built as a protective structure from the invading enemies. During its history, the castle underwent many changes, and was ruled by several owners.
While research and archaeological excavations there were found remains of Roman age, Dating from the third century ad and belonging to the watchtower. It is believed that the construction of the castle from the original Roman tower might have happened around the tenth century.
In 1867, after the Congress of Vienna, with the entry of Portofino, first into the Kingdom of Sardinia and then into the new Kingdom of Italy, the castle lost its strategic and military significance and was disarmed.
The English Consul Montague Yeats Brown, arriving to the shores of Portofino, was fascinated by the grandeur of the castle and bought it for seven thousand liras. The building was completely transformed into a private residence without distorting its basic structure.
In 1961 the castle became the property of the municipality of Portofino.
Currently in the castle hold various events, including weddings and banquets, is a Museum. The castle's terrace offers panoramic views of the surrounding countryside. The entrance ticket is 5 Euros.
The Lighthouse Of Portofino
The lighthouse of Portofino (Portofino Il Faro) is located on a hillside, the same Cape as the brown castle, at the entrance to the Bay. Near the lighthouse there is a small cafe.
To reach the lighthouse on foot on easy trails surrounded by lush vegetation and lies on a promontory. The path is accompanied by beautiful views of the sea and the surroundings of Portofino.
The Chapel Of St. Sebastian
Chapel of St. Sebastian or the chapel of San Sebastiano (Cappella di San Sebastiano) - a small Church, which has not only modest size, but also modest exterior and interior views.
Chapel is situated on a hillside, part of the national natural Park of Portofino, on the way from the centre of Portofino to the Abbey of fruttuoso di Capodimonte.
The views of Portofino from the Church
Abbey of San Fruttuoso di Capodimonte
The Abbey of San Fruttuoso di Capodimonte, also known simply as Capodimonte (Abbazia di San Fruttuoso di Capodimonte) - the complex, a place of worship, was originally a monastery located in the bay between the rocky hills of Portofino Park, about 5 kilometers from the center of Portofino. Geographically belongs to the city of Camogli.
Built in the 10th century as a Benedictine monastery, during the history the Abbey was rebuilt and enlarged.
Since the 13th century Abbey have intertwined the fate of the family Doria, which resulted in changes to the layout, as the family used the hall of the Abbey for his tomb. The upper cloister was rebuilt in the 16th century under the will of the Andrea Doria, while in 1562 was built the square lookout tower, which still dominates the Bay.
Subsequently, the abbey was abandoned and used as a dwelling. In 1933 it was restored by the Italian state, and in 1983 Doria Pamphili donated buildings and land to the Italian Ecological Fund.
Since then began the revival of the complex, consisting of: the Sun Tower, the monastery with the tombs of Dorian, the primitive church and parish church, archaeological finds and a small residential area.
Currently the Abbey can be visited, the entrance ticket is 7 Euros.
Capodimonte is located in a small Bay, right on the coast. Near the monastery complex there is an equipped beach, several restaurants and bed and Breakfast Locanda del parco di Portofino.
You can get to San Fruttuoso di Capodimonte on foot from Portofino along the trails of the park (a route of medium difficulty) or from one of the sea excursions. Ferries depart from Portofino Marina (Portofino Harbor), the cost of a boat trip is 8.50 Euros - there, 13 Euros - there and back, the journey time is about 25 minutes.
Tickets can be purchased at the box office near Molo Umberto I (the Piazzetta).
The Statue Of Christ Of The Abyss
The statue "Christ of the Abyss" (Italian name Il Cristo degli Abissi) - a large statue of Christ, located under water near the coast, near Capodimonte.
The statue was installed under water in August of 1954 in the Gulf at a depth of 17 meters (56 feet) to protect fishermen and scuba divers and in memory of Dario Gonzatti, the first Italian to use scuba gear, died in 1947. Sculptor Guido Galletti represented Christ in the act of blessing, when he looks at the sky with open arms as a sign of Peace.
Due to the increasing amounts of corrosion and growth of crustaceans, the statue was removed from the water, restored in 2003 and returned to the water in July 2004.
Currently, the statue is a popular landmark, visible from the surface, and divers also descend to it.