Promenadeplatz, Munich - more than just a square (Walking Square)

Promenadeplatz is a public square located in the northwestern part of the historical centre of Munich.

Translated from the German "Promenadeplatz" means "Walking Square".

The initial area most likely dates from the 14th century. From the 15th century, served as a place where housed the city salt barns, which were demolished about 1778. Formed after the demolition of the buildings, the space was used as a base, and was converted into a green area in 1804. The current name of the square has since the early 19th century.

In the following space surrounding Promenadeplatz as neighbouring street Cardinal Faulhaber's-Strasse (Kardinal-Faulhaber-Straße), was the place where was erected a noble Palace.

Today, the area represents a significant open public space of elongated rectangular shape from East to West, which is surrounded by historical buildings. Center Promenadeplatz is a green promenade, with Seating and, in particular, is the memorial Park.

In the center of the square are five monuments: the statue of the Bavarian geographer and historian Westenrieder of Lorenz (Lorenz-Westenrieder-Statue), the statue of the Franco-Flemish composer and Kapellmeister Orlando di Lasso (Orlando di Lasso Statue), a statue of the elector and king of Bavaria max Emanuel (Maximilian II), the monument to the German composer Christoph Willibald Gluck and the monument of count Maximilian Joseph von Montgelas.

Of particular interest among the monuments take two monuments:

- statue of Orlando di Lasso, who was a renowned composer and conductor of the Renaissance.

Since the end of June 2009 and now is also a memorial and a place of pilgrimage for fans of pop musician Michael Jackson, who have stayed several times in hotel Bayerischer Hof, located on Promenadeplatz.

Fans of the work of Michael Jackson is carried to the monument posters, flowers and candles.

The statue in honor of Orlando di Lasso was developed by max Widenmann and was originally located on the square Odeonsplatz (since 1849), but was moved to Promenadeplatz in 1862.

The statue was molten during world war II. To the 800 anniversary of the city of Munich was re-established and inaugurated on 22 July 1958.

- monument of count von Montgelasthat has large dimensions (height more than 6 meters) and made of aluminum.

The monument was designed by Berlin-based Professor and artist Katrin sander from a solid aluminium block and mounted on 25 April 2005.

Earlier on today of the monument was a bronze monument to the Chancellor Vigelius background Kreitmair, which was moved to Maximiliansplatz (Maximiliansplatz) and were not restored there after the Second world war.

Around the square is notable

House Parkus

House Parkus (Parcus house / Parkus house) is a corner residential and commercial building located to the address: Promenadeplatz, 12.

Now the house is a monument of architecture.

The five-storey building with a courtyard in the neo-Renaissance style was built in the years 1887-1890 on the site of the former Palace Herwart (Palais Hörwarth), German architect Friedrich von Tarsem for printing Parcus.

The building was badly damaged during the Second world war and rebuilt in a simplified form from 1948 to 1950. The graceful dome and some other parts of the building were reconstructed in 2000.

The former Carmelite Church

On the corner of Promenadeplatz and streets Karmeliterstrasse (Karmeliterstraße), at: Karmeliterstrasse 1, is the former Carmelite Church of St. Nicholas (St Karmelitenkirche. Nikolaus).

It is the oldest Baroque Church in Munich, which was built in 1654, after reconstruction in the basis, is still in original condition.

Today, the walls of the Shrine are the archives of the Archdiocese of Munich and Freising, library of the Metropolitan Chapter of Munich and a hall for events.

The House Of Goetzeler

The house of Goetzeler (Gunetzrhainerhaus / Generalares) is located at the address: Promenadeplatz, 15.

The exact date of the original construction of the house is unknown. The building is named in honor of the court architect Johann Baptist Gunzechoyney, which purchased the building in 1730 and then rebuilt it in the style of Rococo.

Today the house is included in the list of monuments of Bavaria and is a complete reconstruction of the building carried out in 1960-1961 years after the house was destroyed during the Second world war. During reconstruction, particular attention was paid to reproduction of details of the building, such as a bronze statue of the Madonna, located in a circular arched niche and lannie decorations on the facade of the house.

The statue of the Madonna on the facade of the house is a copy, the original terracotta figure, made by Hubert Gerhard, is in the Bavarian national Museum.

House Ballin

House Ballin (Ballin-Haus), located at Promenadeplatz 9, is perhaps the most exquisite building in the area.

This five-storey corner house was built somewhere in the years of 1909-1910 in the Baroque style by the architect Gustav von cube and Karl St ÷ HR.

First floor has large arched Windows. On the main facade, on the second floor, a long balcony, in the center, directly above the main entrance, is a large equestrian statue. The facade is decorated with pilasters, statues and other decorative elements. The main facade is richly decorated with semicircular ends lyukarna.

Today, the building is a Bank (Bethmann Bank AG).

Promenadeplatz also located and other historic and public buildings, the walls of which are today, including banks (Commerzbank, Deutsche Bank). House numbers 7 and 21.

The hotel Bayerischer Hof and the Palace Mongela

Most of the Northern side of Promenadeplatz is one of the most famous, representative, and expensive hotels Munich 5-star Bayerischer Hof (the Hof Byrider).

Hotel address: Promenadeplatz, 2-6.

In the ballroom of the hotel is a large annual political event - the Munich security conference.

In the hotel: 5 restaurants, 6 bars, facilities for guests with reduced mobility and a Spa with roof top swimming pool, sauna and gym.

The Atelier restaurant of the hotel has been awarded 3 Michelin stars. The Trader Vic's restaurant decorated in Polynesian style.

The rooms and suites: air conditioning, high speed Wi-Fi. Complimentary fruit basket and bottle of mineral water. Link to the hotel booking

The building of the Palace Mongela, also known as the Palace of Montgelas (Palais Montgelas), was built in the years 1811-1813 Portuguese architect Emmanuel Hirigoyen for count Maximilian Joseph von Mangala in the classical style and feature a French-German architect and Bavarian Builder Jean-Baptiste Motive.

From 1969 to the present, the Palace is integrated (included) at the historic hotel Bayerischer Hof.

Near the Palace Mongela side street Cardinal Faulhaber's-Strasse (address: Kardinal-Faulhaber-Straße 14A), is a monument to Kurt Eisner (Kurt-Eisner-Denkmal), which is a metal floor plate (plate) installed under the open sky on the pavement to commemorate the assassination on 21 February 1919 at the site of the first Prime Minister of Bavaria Kurt Eisner.

The memorial shows the body contour Eisner, in the position in which the police marked it with chalk when it detects a dead man. Read more about the monument-memorial to Kurt Eisner...

Theatre Comedy in Bavaria Hof

Private theatre Comedy in Bavaria Hof (Komödie im Bayerischen Hof) is part of the hotel Bayerischer Hof is located at the address: Promenadeplatz, 6.

The history of the theatre dates back to 1886, since when in the annals of the hotel refers to the first cultural event. Grandmother of today's owner, the famous singer, was also a concert hall in the hotel after reconstruction of the devastation caused by the Second world war. Her son Falk Volkhardt continued the family cultural tradition and instructed the government architect Erwin Schleich to create theatre with a modern design. The theater was opened on 31 October 1961 under the leadership of Gerhard Metzner a Comedy by Eugene scribe "Glass of water".

Theatre provides 578 seats, has a balcony, foyer and direct access to the hotel Bayerischer Hof.

Today at the theater of German and foreign artists perform classic Comedy from literature and cinema. The programme also includes: cabaret, musicals and performances for children. The site of the theater can also be rented for private parties or corporate events.

The website of the theatre: komoedie-muenchen.

All accommodation in Munich, including close and Executive chic square Promenadeplatz and in the historical centre of the city, you can view and book here booking

This can come in handy
Leave a review ↓
Nobody has left any reviews.