The New Liberal Synagogue (or simply the New Synagogue) is a synagogue in Kaliningrad, which in 2011-2020 was erected on the site of the former Konigsberg synagogue, in shapes and sizes close to the original ones.
Initially, in this place, in 1894-1896, the Jewish community of Konigsberg (now the city of Kaliningrad) built a synagogue opposite the Cathedral on Lindenstrasse Street. The style of the synagogue building was a combination of Gothic with Moorish forms and Neo-Renaissance; the height of the building was 46 meters.
Since it was not the first synagogue in the city, it became known as the New Synagogue; the existing synagogue on Synagogenstrasse 2, built in 1815, was called the Old Synagogue. There were also other synagogues in Konigsberg, of which there were five by 1933. The new synagogue was the largest in existence.
On the night of November 9-10, 1938, which went down in history as "Kristallnacht" or "Night of Broken Shop Windows", after the Nazis came to power, the synagogues of Konigsberg were burned and destroyed. The new synagogue continued to partially function. In August 1944, the synagogue was finally destroyed.
On October 17, 2011, a solemn ceremony of laying the first stone in the foundation of the restored synagogue took place in Kaliningrad - it was built anew on the same place where the New Synagogue of Konigsberg once stood; the former Lindenstrasse is now called Oktyabrskaya Street.
The grand opening ceremony of the New Synagogue took place on November 8, 2018, but the interior work lasted until 2020. The facade, dome and main rooms of the New Synagogue are as close as possible to their historical appearance.
Today, the New Synagogue is operational - services are held in its camps.
For tourist purposes, the synagogue can be visited for a fee and as part of an excursion group, which is regularly conducted around the synagogue.
There is also a kosher shop and a kosher canteen in the synagogue building, the menu of which includes dishes of both Jewish and familiar European cuisine prepared taking into account religious prescriptions.
Kosher dining room
Next to the synagogue is the historic building of the Jewish orphanage with an evening school, which was originally built in Konigsberg in 1904-1905 by architect Friedrich Heitmann.
During the Second World War, the building received significant damage. It was later restored and is now preserved in a substantially modified form.
Coordinates of the synagogue in Kaliningrad: 54°42'20.0"N 20°30'55.0"E (54.705556, 20.515278).
Information about the opening hours of the synagogue, the time of services, excursions and the cost of excursions to the synagogue, as well as the opening hours of the kosher canteen and kosher shop, we recommend checking on the official website of the synagogue.
Website of the synagogue in Kaliningrad: sinagoga39.
All accommodation facilities in Kaliningrad (hotels, apartments, etc.), including near the synagogue, Kant Island and in the Fishing Village, can be viewed and booked here