Nervi is a residential area, part of a Large Genoa and is located in the Eastern part of the coast of the city.
Nervi was originally a fishing village, then an independent resort (Autonomous municipality), but in 1926 was included in the Big Genoa and is now its Eastern suburbs.
Nervi is a district of 10-12 kilometers from the historical centre of Genoa (old port), between the district Quinto (Western side coast) and the district of Sant Ilario (on the East side of the coast).
Currently Nervi all also unofficially considered the resort, with its particularly mild climate and is one of the most popular areas in the vicinity of the center of Genoa, attracting the attention clear sea water, long promenade and spectacular views of the rocky coastline and marine waters, as well as parks and well-developed infrastructure with cafes, restaurants and accommodation facilities.
The coast, Nervi, Genoa (beaches, Marina, boardwalk)
Nervi coast stretches for 2.5 kilometers along the sea, and this part of the district is the most visited and popular.
The area along the coast of Nervi can be divided into three zones, so different from each other, each of which deserves separate attention.
First, the Western part of the district is characterized by a coastline indented with small bays surrounded by rocky and rocky formations.
Three of the Bay-beach of the Western coast, two of which are pebbly and rocky and one concrete and rocky. The beaches are public and free.
Above the beaches and sea are passing by the road and the pavement.
The second area is the port of Nervi, which is a small harbour (Porticciolo di Nervi) at the mouth of the Nervi river, which is surrounded by buildings typical of Ligurian architecture, painted in bright colors.
Along the Harbor there are several cafes and restaurants, and in its center is a small beach.
This place is the most colorful in Nervi and he is depicted on many postcards and Souvenirs.
The bridge over the river Nervi.
The third zone - the Anita Garibaldi promenade (passeggiata Anita Garibaldi), also known as the Nervi promenade (passeggiata di Nervi), originates just behind the harbour and along the line of the sea at long rock to the Eastern tip of the district of Nervi.
The present embankment, which received its current name in 1945 in honor of Anita Garibaldi, dates back to the second half of the nineteenth century and was built in two stages: the first, in 1862, to link the port with the tower of Gropallo, the second - in 1872, to connect the tower with Capolungo. However, the trail in this location has existed since ancient times and was used mainly by local fishermen and farmers.
The waterfront is the pride of Nervi and is a pedestrian zone with a length of about 2 kilometers. On the waterfront there are places to stay.
Along the promenade along the rocky coast, where there are some baths, situated on a flat rocky stones and equipped with steps to the water. Although the beaches here are not practical and this place is one of the most popular in Genoa for walks along the sea.
The main attraction of the promenade, the Passeggiata Anita Garibaldi stands the tower of Gropello (Torre Gropallo), previously known as Torre del Fieno / Piano tower (torre del Fieno), which received its name because of wet hay, burnt in the top of the tower in order to smoke, which, in case of danger, warned local residents about the necessity of hiding and ready for action. Its current name derives from the Marquis Gaetano Gropallo, the Creator of the embankment.
The construction of the tower dates from the mid-sixteenth century. The tower was part of the defensive system (including the castle overlooking the harbour area Nervi), built because of the increasing attacks of pirates Dragut.
During the history the tower was rebuilt several times and restored. In 1936, the tower was bought by the municipality of Genoa and within its walls housed the headquarters of the Italian naval League section Nervi National Alpine Association.
Promenade Anita Garibaldi next
Parallel to this part of the promenade from the centre of the district, there are large green areas - parks of Nervi's museums, to get to that as through the center of the district with the waterfront.
Photo of the entrance to the gardens from the embankment
In the Eastern end of the promenade, on the border of the districts of Nervi and Sant'ilario, is the former village of Capolungo (Capolungo) with the same small public pebble beach.
Capolungo has long been a place of rest wealthy tourists. Now Capolungo is a couple of streets, fishing boats and tiny Bay, surrounded by colourful low buildings.
Gardens and villas
Of course, Nervi associated not only with a gorgeous promenade and the enchanting panoramas of the rocky shore and blue sea water, but also with parks. Perhaps Nervi, is the greenest part of the Big Genoa.
Current extensive parks formed by ancient gardens, previously broken around the finest aristocratic villas.
The villas are now museums. The entrance to the gardens is free.
- fassio of Villa Grimaldi (Villa Grimaldi Fassio) - the residence of a family of Fascia of Tomellini since the late fifties of the twentieth century, was acquired by the municipality of Genoa in 1979. The walls of the Villa are now stored collection of Italian and foreign art donated to the city by brothers G. B. and Luigi Frugone in 1935 and 1953. Near the Villa there is a beautiful rose garden (a small Botanical garden).
Gnecco Villa (Villa Gnecco), built in the 16th century and belonged to count Gnecco Nina S. Tomaso.
Restoration work of the Villa was carried out in 1733, in consequence of which the Villa received its present appearance, surrounded by almost seven acres of parkland. Today it is a 2-star hotel and, unfortunately, little remains of the extensive gardens after an intense construction campaign of the 19th and 20th centuries.
The Villa is located on the Creek Nervi, just above the cut, cross the historic bridge Nervi.
Wolfsoniana Museum (Museo Wolfsoniana), located in Serra Gropallo, 4 (Via Serra Gropallo), specializiruetsya primarily on decorative and propaganda art of the period 1880 - 1945: paintings, sculptures, furnishings and everyday life, ceramics, silver, etc.
The old "humpback" bridge over the river Nervi, even Dating back to the Roman era.
Exactly near the bridge, in the area between the bridge and the Marina, where a castle was built, the first settlement in Nervi.
The Church Of Santa Maria Assunta
The Church of St. Maria Assunta (Church of Santa Maria Assunta) is an elegant building located near the coast in the Western part of the district of Nervi.
According to some historians, the first religious building was built in the fifteenth century.
Building extension and the associated parish the work was carried out in the sixties of the twentieth century, with the solemn blessing of the first stone on 1 October 1961.
The following restoration work was carried out in 1979 and 1980-ies.
The building is notable for the high bell tower with a clock. The Church has a single nave interior with frescoes. The main altar in Baroque style, dates back to 1739. Among the surviving works is the statue of the assumption work of the sculptor Filippo Parodi.
Parish Church of San Siro
The Church of San Siro (Chiesa di San Siro), located in the hinterland on the street Camillo Camposano (via Camillo Campostano) was the first parish Church of Nervi.
The first Church structure dates back to the 10th or 11th century, or even the first half of the 13th century. However, some sources date the emergence of the Church in this place since the 5th century.
Since the seventeenth century due to increasing population, the Church was considered to be more insufficient and not suitable for religious purposes. The project of restoration and expansion of the Shrine was carried out by Lombard architect Francesco de Novi.
The erection of the new Church lasted from 1639 via the years 1686 or 1689 - according to other sources. The consecration took place on 25 July 1723.
The structure of the Church consists of one nave and, in addition to the main altar and the pulpit has six side altars, and is notable for the rich decoration, frescoes and sculptures the neoclassical period, a variety of Genoese artists.
The Evangelical Lutheran Church
Church (Chiesa Evangelica Luterana) of small size surrounded by a garden, is notable for the interesting facade with pointed tiered entrance, facing a tall tower.
The address of the Church: Via Capolungo, 18.
Church and school Board of Emiliani
The Board of Emiliani was founded in Genoa in 1899, the Congregation of the fathers Somaschi, created in the 16th century by St. Girolamo Emiliani.
In Nervi is a school Board Emiliani located in a historic building and the adjacent Church (School College Emiliani Dei Padri Somaschi).
The Church was built in 1606-1608 years on the initiative of the Genoese nobleman Andrea Fazio. It replaced a previous chapel dedicated to St. Paul, near the convent of the minims.
In 1798, following the Napoleonic laws, min (Catholic mendicant monastic order) were expelled, and the Church abandoned.
In 1814 in the war against Napoleon the British fleet bombed the Church with the sea, turning it into a heap of ruins. Only the bell tower and walls survived.
1 Sep 1899 began Miliscola school. The first concern of the fathers was to recreate the ancient concept of the Church, which was dedicated to the founder of San Girolamo Emiliani.
The most prominent part of the Church is the bell tower, part of the panorama of the harbour of Nervi and decorating all the surrounding space.
The main artery of the district of Nervi runs above and parallel to the promenade Anita Garibaldi and, in turn, consists of several small streets: Via Capolungo, Via Aldo Casotti, Via Marco Sala and Via Guglielmo Oberdan.
Along the streets: colorful low buildings, small squares, shops, cafés and restaurants with tables under the open sky, there are accommodation facilities.
To get to the area of Nervi from Genoa city center on taxi, car, train (station Genova Nervi), public buses or on foot, following along the line of the sea, through neighboring areas, as included in the Big Genoa: Foca, Alvaro (Boccadasse), Sturla, Quarto and Quinto.
District Nervi on the map
Where to stay in the district of Nervi, Genoa
Apart-hotel Savoia features an outdoor pool, private Park, free Wi-Fi and Parking.
The apartment: balcony with sea view, air conditioning, bedroom, bathroom, living room and kitchen. Link to this Aparthotel
4-star hotel Villa Pagoda, located on the coast in a former noble residence.
Panoramic views of the sea, hills or the Park.
Featuring a garden with swimming pool, restaurant, free Parking and free Wi-Fi.
Room rates include Breakfast. Link to the hotel
The 4-star Astor hotel with free Wi-Fi, a Park, a sun terrace, a fitness centre, a restaurant, bar and private Parking.
The room price includes Breakfast buffet: pastries, croissants, cheese, ham, boiled eggs, etc. a Link to the hotel
Lola Genova apartment Apartment with a balcony, a garden and free Wi-Fi.
In apartment: air conditioning, flat-screen TV, 2 bedrooms, living room, kitchen with a dishwasher and a kettle, 2 bathrooms with a bath and a bidet. The link apartments
Studios Sole e Mare features free Wi-Fi, a tennis court, private Parking, swimming pool and sun terrace.
In apartment: air conditioning, bathroom, flat-screen TV with cable channels, a dining area, a kitchen and a balcony with garden views. Link to Studio
Apartment Il parco sul golfo features a seasonal outdoor pool and free Wi-Fi.
In apartment: air conditioning, furnished terrace, kitchenette and Seating area with a flat-screen TV. The link apartments
All accommodation in Genoa, including in the area of Nervi, it is possible to look and book here