Limassol is the second largest city of Cyprus, after the island's capital - Nicosia, with a great location - the city is located on the Gulf of Akrotiri.
Based on ancient graves found in the area, it can be concluded that initially the city was formed back in 2000 BC. Thanks rich and long history in the Limassol and the surrounding area of the city there is a lot of historical sites.
The main tourist sites of the city is the Old town of Paphos or the old town (Old Town), located in the lower part of the city near the sea. In this part of Limassol is the largest number of attractions.
The old town is narrow streets, lined with historic buildings with cafes and restaurants, small shops and souvenir shops as well as churches and squares.
To the historical part of Limassol applies the old port (Limassol Old Port), located between the modern Limassol Marina and promenade, the Molos.
Once the old port was the main port of Limassol, its original foundations were laid during the British occupation of the island in the late 19th century.
Today the old port of Limassol is a small Marina with moored fishing boats and cruise ships, with a walking area, where from morning till evening full of life, where there are cafes and restaurants, there is a small square and several monuments. Read more about the port of Limassol...
The center of the historical part of Limassol, stands the castle of Limassol (Limassol Castle) is a medieval Fort built on the site of an early Christian Basilica (4-7 century ad) and Byzantine fortress, built in the 10-11 centuries ad.
Currently, Limassol fortress is a small rectangular building consisting of two ground and basement floors + roof on which you can climb.
In the walls of the castle is the Cyprus Medieval Museum (Cyprus Mediaeval Museum), on three floors which includes exhibits telling about the historical development of Cyprus, its economic, social and artistic evolution, as well as the everyday life of the people of the island from the 3rd to the 18th century ad. Read more about Limassol castle...
Around Limanskogo castle stretches of the eponymous castle square - the main square of the old town of Limassol.
Museum of the carob tree, which is the equipment of 1900-ies, once used to process fruits of the carob trees. Read more about the carob Museum in Limassol...;
- the remains of a medieval building, Dating from the 13th century, discovered during restoration works the Castle square. As the size of the walls of the former structure, thin walls, and the presence of a drainage system which was connected to the first floor, indicate that these architectural remains belong to an important public or private building which existed in the medieval town of Lemesos (Limassol). Due to the fact that preserved only a small part of the ruins of the building, it is impossible to talk about the relationship of this structure to the medieval castle of Limassol.
In the remains of the building were excavated part of a Gothic column (most likely), dated 13th century, is made of local limestone and decorated with images of faces and flowers. Many of the finds at this location was raised from the drainage system and include medieval pottery, coins and a lead seal, which again points to the importance of the structure;
- the remains of a medieval building, Dating from the 13th - 14th centuries, found during the restoration works the Castle square. Remained only small remnants of the Northern and Western walls. As in the case of the first archaeological excavations, fine stonework and the presence of drainage systems, indicate that these architectural remains belong to an important public or private building. Also not yet known whether this building is connected to a medieval castle, and how, that is, whether it was part of the castle or was it detached the neighboring building.
Photo of the Central square of the old town of Limassol
Close to castle square, sea side, on the street Agias Teklis (Agias Theklis) is a small Greek Orthodox Church of Agia Thekla (Agia Thekla). Remarkable about this Church, especially that part of the premises of the Shrine are located in the basement, which, in turn, a staircase, and where are the icons.
Central, the busiest and one of the most attractive streets of the old town of Limassol is Agiou Andreou street, smoothly flowing in a less busy street Ankara. Both streets run parallel to the sea and are found near Castle square.
On crossing of streets of Ankara and FASI Pass (Feyzi Pasa), in the old Turkish quarter, is the Turkish mosque, Limassol (Limassol Turkish Moque).
Near the mosque is also notable for the Orthodox Church of Agios Antonios, or Saint Anthony (Agios Antonios Orthodox Church), built in 1870 over an older temple.
Photos of streets of Ankara
The Agiou Andreou street, lined with cafes, restaurants and shops. From the streets diverge in different directions, a narrower but no less significant streets.
Some of the side streets are colorfully decorated and full of bars
One of the most famous streets, extending from the street Agiou Andreou street is ZIK Zak (Ζικ Ζακ). Along the streets some bars.
Street ZIK Zak is visible to the Great mosque or mosque of Kebir-Dzhami (Μεγάλο Τζαμί Λεμεσού / Limassol Grand Mosque) is one of the most important churches of the centre of Limassol.
The mosque was built in the 16th century on the foundations of the older Christian churches. The interior of the temple consists of several rooms, separated by arches.
Behind the mosque, on the street side Genethliou Mitellla, you can see the remains of an old Christian Basilica on the site of which was erected this mosque. Read more about the mosque of Kebir Djami mosque in Limassol...
Photo street Genethliou Mitellla
One of the most outstanding buildings of the old town of Limassol and a real decoration for the street Agiou Andreou is the Cathedral of Limassol, known as the Cathedral of Agia NAPA (Ayia Napa Cathedral / Αγία Νάπα).
The Cathedral of Ayia NAPA, the most significant Orthodox Cathedral in Limassol. This monumental building stands gracefully in the centre of the old town, as, without a doubt, one of the main shrines of the city.
The Cathedral was built in the early 20th century on the ruins of the old and smaller Byzantine Church. Represents a unique architectural mix of Greek lines with elements of traditional Byzantine architecture. The facade is decorated with two tall towers, bell towers, the top of which arched Windows, and the Central part of the temple is headed by a large dome. The Windows of the temple are decorated with stone carvings.
The temple of Ayia NAPA dedicated to the virgin Mary and one of the versions named in honor of the image of the virgin Mary, found in the valley (in translation from Latin "NAPA" means "forest"). According to another version, the Cathedral was named "Agia NAPA" in honor of the temple, stood in the place of the sanctuary, built during the Frankish period and dedicated to the Holy Martyr Saint-Germain, known as Saint-NAP.
In the Cathedral special attention is drawn to a mysterious wooden door, the rotunda and the statue of the eagle on the pedestal, carved of white stone, and a stone obelisk and bas-reliefs, one of which is dedicated to the memory of the first visit to Cyprus an outstanding Orthodox pilgrim, traveler, and writer Vasyl Hryhorovych-Barsky, "a Muscovite, a citizen of the city" (19 Sep 1726 year).
Behind the Cathedral, from the sea, on Sundays, Sunday market.
Folk art Museum (Municipal Museum of Folk Art), housed in a historical building at the address: Ag. Andreou, 253.
The Museum, which opened its doors on 20th June 1985, includes one of the most important collections of Cypriot folk art and crafts, including the collection of garments, embroidery, carvings, old farm equipment, tools and utensils, jewelry, decorative objects and furniture of the late 19th and early 20th centuries.
Opening hours: Monday to Friday, from 07:45 to 14:45 hours.
Diocese of Limassol (Bishopric of Limassol), located in Agiou Andreou street.
Public library of Limassol (Limassol Public Library / Δημοτική Βιβλιοθήκη Λεμεσού), located in one of the most beautiful historic buildings in the city, at the address: Agiou Andreou street, 273/1, and is one of the largest libraries in Cyprus.
It is noteworthy in the old town and the historic building of the former Central market (Central Municipal Market), built during the British rule and is located on a quiet Market square with a fountain (Market Square). GPS coordinates: 34.676076, 33.042900.
Also in the historic centre of Limassol is remarkable:
not less memorable than the Cathedral of Limassol, the Orthodox Church - the Cathedral of Panagia Pantanassa "Catholics" (Panagia Katholiki / Καθεδρικός Ναός Παναγίας Παντάνασσας "Καθολική").
The Cathedral has an impressive size, modern look, with splendid arched Windows, painted in a pleasant pale pink color, decorated with two towers, bell towers and a Central dome.
The temple was built in 2012 and has the status of a Cathedral and is dedicated to Saint Nicholas.
The building next to the Church
- the old water tower, is an example of the engineering heritage of Cyprus.
The tower was built in 1931. The tank capacity is 500 cubic meters - 40 meters, diameter - 9 meters, material - steel with thickness of 8 mm.
The purpose of the construction was the water supply of the city of Limassol. Tower successfully coped with its task until 1947, when it was built underground Central water supply system;
Church of the Holy Trinity (Αγία Τριάδα), built in 1919, designed in the shape of a cross with two tall towers-the bell tower, stone carving and surmounted by a large dome. The Church interior has bright colors and wooden décor;
- Heroes square (Plateia Iroon / Πλατεία Ηρώων), around which cafés, bars and restaurants, and nearby is the Rialto theatre (Θέατρο Ριάλτο). The area and surroundings are a popular recreation area for local residents;
- the building of the municipality (District Administration Office);
theatre Pattichis (Παττίχειο Θέατρο), near which are: Armenian Orthodox Church of St. George (St. George Armenian Orthodox Church) and the monument to the national poet of Cyprus Vasilis Michaelides to 1849(53)-1917 years (Βασίλης Μιχαηλίδης / ΒΑΣΙΛΝΣ ΜΙΧΑΗΛΙΔΗΣ);
the Church of Agia Marina (Εκκλησία Αγίας Μαρίνας), located near the Central promenade of Limassol;
Catholic Church of St. Catherine, formally known as the Church of St. Catherine of Alexandria (St. Catherine Catholic Church / Εκκλησία της Αγίας Αικατερίνης), set on the beach front of Molos.
Church with Baroque elements was built between 1872 and 1879 years and officially opened on the feast day of Saint Catherine on 25 November in the presence of foreign delegations and the Governor. In 1979 the Church underwent a restoration process. Religious services are provided in Greek and English.
On the waterfront, near the Church of SV. Catherine, among modern buildings, one can still see some elegant historical buildings;
archaeological Museum of Limassol district (Αρχαιολογικό Μουσείο Λεμεσού), is located near Central Park, founded in 1948 and originally placed in the section of the Limassol castle.
During the conflicts of 1964, the Museum was closed because they were transferred to the National guard. Work on the construction of a new building of the Museum began in 1972. The new structure consists of two long rooms connected by two transverse spaces. A new exhibition was organised in March 1975, under extremely difficult circumstances related to the recent invasion of the Turks on the island.
The Museum houses antiquities that cover the development of civilization on the island and the main turns in the history of Cyprus. The most part of finds that make up the Museum's collection is the result of systematic excavations carried out by the Department of antiquities of Cyprus and foreign archaeological organizations in the city and district, Lemesos.
Opening hours: Monday – Friday, 8:00 to 16:00 hours, Saturday and Sunday - days off. Cost of ticket: € 2,50.
Photos of the streets of the historic center of Limassol