Streets of Kaufingerstrasse and Neuhauserstrasse in Munich (Kaufingerstraße, Neuhauser Straße)

The streets Kaufinger and Neuhauser (Kaufingerstraße, Neuhauser Straße) - two important commercial and pedestrian streets, located in the historic old town of Munich.

These two streets merge with each other and together constitute the Central pedestrian zone and one of the most important commercial axes of Munich.

The length of the street approximately 650 metres. They stretch from the Central square of the city of Munich (Marienplatz) in the West to Karlovy gate (Karlstor / Karlstor) and Karlsplatz square (Karlsplatz).

On the eve of Christmas and New year on the streets operates a Christmas Bazaar where stalls and shops there is a lively trade of drink, including warming mulled wine, food (sausages, burgers, cabbage, etc), snacks, sweets and Souvenirs.

Street Kaufingerstrasse

Street Kaufingerstrasse is one of the oldest streets in Mehna. It stretches from the Marienplatz square and to the intersection with the streets and Augustinerstrasse Herbagreen straße (Straße Färbergraben, Augustinerstraße), where he meets the street Neuhauser Strasse.

The street is 250 metres away.

The end of the street Kaufinger historically correspond roughly to the location of the trench fortifications of the old town of Munich.

Street probably named in honor of Patricia Chunradius Choufringer, which was first mentioned in a document of may 28, 1239, and which is probably owned Executive home on Kaufingerstrasse.

In the past, rich merchants built their houses along the street. In the 19th century Baroque house of the Munich merchants were replaced by shops and stores.

Today along the street are numerous shops, retail outlets and salons. There are also cafes, restaurants and large Department store GALERIA (Kaufhof) München Am Marienplatz, located at Kaufinger Straße 1-5.

At: Kaufingerstrasse 28 is located in a historic building, the walls of which today is a men's clothing store "Hirmer".

The house was built from 1912 to 1914 as a business building known as "House of the beautiful towers" (Haus zum Schönen Turm).

The name of the building "House beautiful towers" refers to the former gate tower, "Schönen Turm", which once stood in front of today's "House Charmer" and was part of the old city walls. The tower was built in 1157 and destroyed in 1807.

On the corner of the house the beautiful tower (intersection of Kaufingerstrasse and Augustinerstrasse) is located a sculpture depicting the figure of a man with hoisted on the shoulders of the tower. With this sculpture, there is one little-known Munich city story about the jeweler who was executed for theft, which did not commit. Read more about house beautiful tower and the Munich legend...

Street Neuhauser Strasse

Street Neuhauserstrasse originates from the junction of the streets Herbagreen starsse and Augustinerstrasse (where it meets the street Kaufingerstrasse), and stretches to vary the gate.

The street is about 400 meters.

Dr. Neuhauser straße there is at least 1293 (first mentioned in the sources). From 1815 to 1828 the street was called Karlstraße (Karlstraße), then Neuhauserstrasse (Neuhausergasse).

The current appearance of the street was in 1972, when the Olympic games of 1972 were reconstructed from the network transport with two tram rails in the pedestrian zone.

The street was named in honor of the former village of Neuhausen, which today is a district of Munich Neuhausen-Nymphenburg (Neuhausen-Nymphenburg).

Along the street there are some historical buildings, churches, Museum, and numerous shops, there are cafes and restaurants.

At:, Neuhauser Strasse 2, in the former Augustinian Church (Augustinerkirche), which belonged to Augustskola the monastery was built in the 13th century and then enlarged and remodelled in the years 1962-1964, is the German Museum of hunting and fishing (Deutsches Jagd und Fischereimuseum).

The Museum exhibits of stuffed wild animals and objects related to the history of hunting and fishing in Germany for several centuries. Museum website: jagd-fischerei-museum.

Before entering the Museum placed the sculpture "wild Boar" (Sitzender Keiler).

The monastery of the Augustinian Church is today used as offices of the police Department in Munich (München Polizeipräsidium).

Address: Ettstrasse, 2-4 (Ettstraße 2-4).

At:, Neuhauser straße 6, is the Jesuit Church of St. Michael or St. Michael's Church (Jesuitenkirche St. Michael), which is considered the largest and the first Renaissance Church North of the Alps.

The style of the building, located at the transition from the Renaissance to the Baroque, became a model and has had a huge impact on the architecture of the early Baroque in southern Germany.

The Church was built by the Bavarian Duke Wilhelm V between 1583-1597 years.

When the Jesuits were suppressed (1773), the Church passed into the possession of the Bavarian Royal family and became the court Church.

The facade of the Church is decorated with statues of the rulers of Bavaria, and, including the statue of Duke William. Between the two entrances to the Church are a bronze statue of the Archangel Michael, depicted fighting for the Faith and killing Evil in the form of a demon. The upper part of the facade of the Church is decorated with the figure of Christ.

The Church interior is made in bright colors and impressive gold altars, pulpit and choir stalls deep, adjacent to the mighty nave. The Church has authority.

In the Church crypt is the tomb of a relative of Napoleon I - eugène de Beauharnais, and tombs of members of the Wittelsbach dynasty. Read more about Church of St. Michael...

At: 8, Neuhauser Strasse, is a building of the Old Academy (Alte Akademie), also known as Wilhelmine (Wilhelminum) - a former Jesuit College.

The building was built in the 16th century by order of the Bavarian Duke Wilhelm V for the College and the school of the Jesuits next to the Church of St. Michael.

After the expulsion of the Jesuits in 1773, the building became to small and so-called "camp" for cadets of the army. From 1783 to 1826 the walls of the former College housed the court library and archives, and then of the Bavarian Academy of Sciences (hence the name "Academy"). From 1826 to 1840 Ludwig Maximilian University had a temporary location in the building.

The building was severely damaged during the Second world war. After that, from 1951 to 1955, was restored by Josef Wiedemann to embed the Bavarian state statistical office and data processing, which is housed in the building until 2012.

The building has a facade in the Renaissance style and four in the inner courtyard. Used for retail, offices and gastronomy.

Before the building of the old Academy is the fountain of Richard Strauss (Richard Strauss Fountain).

The fountain was commissioned by the city of Munich in honor of his significant son of composer Richard Strauss. The design of the fountain was designed by sculptor Hans Wimmer. The erection of the fountain: 1961-1962.

The fountain is also known as "the fountain of Salome" (Salome-Brunnen). The name comes from an Opera by Richard Strauss "Salome".

The fountain has a round column tapering in diameter as the elevation. Column surmounted by a bowl, which with a small splash entered the water, which then flows through the edges of the bowl.

The colon fountain are semi-relief images from the Opera Salome. In addition, a small medallion of the fountain, there is a portrait of the conductor Hans Knappertsbusch.

At:, Neuhauser Strasse 27, in the historic neo-Renaissance building of the former brewery in Munich is Augustiner Bräu restaurant "Augustiner" (Augustiner Stammhaus).

At:, Neuhauser straße 14, located Church Burgerzaal (Bürgersaalkirche) - the Civic hall (Bürgersaal).

The building was erected in 1709 and 1710, respectively, as the new chapel and meeting room for meetings of the Marian congregation of men of the community "the Annunciation".

After the consecration of the altar (1778) Burgerzaal officially became a Church and is known as Burgerzaken or Church Burgerzaal and Civil hall Church "Annunciation".

Interior space divided into two floors: the upper Church is in Baroque style and the lower Church, which is also the crypt and in the side aisles which are sculptures of the stations of the Cross.

On the lower floor, behind the altar of the Church of Burgerzaal are the Museum room with memorabilia of the Blessed Father Rupert Mayer and various items, images and artwork of the Congregation. Read more about Church Burgerzaal and Museum...

At the side facade of the building is located at the address: 20, Neuhauser Strasse, is a fountain Bronnenberg (Brunnenbuberl), also known as the fountain of Gasteiger (Gasteigerbrunnen).

Sculptor and painter Matthias Gasteiger presented the fountain at the International art exhibition in the Glass Palace of Munich (now not existing) in 1892, and later - on September 22, 1895, gave the fountain to the public.

The end point of the street Neuhauser Strasse are the pedestrian gate or the Karlstor (Karlstor) - one of three remaining old city gates in Munich, were originally included in the defensive system of the city.

The gate was built in the period, in the construction of the second fortifications of the town from 1285 to 1337 years.

Over time the gate has been enlarged and strengthened and rebuilt several times.

After damage caused during the Second world war, the gate was rebuilt in a simplified form.

In Karlovy vary the gate stretches Karlsplatz (Karlsplatz), which, together with gates, are one of the most important architectural ensembles is one of the most famous landmarks of Munich.

Where to stay on the streets of Neuhauser and Kaufinger

This Aparthotel City Center Stays with city views, located on Neuhauser Strasse.

In the hotel: free Wi-Fi, a lift and family rooms.

In the apartment other facilities:- equipped kitchen with a dishwasher, a Seating area with a sofa, flat-screen TV, a washing machine and a bathroom with a shower and Hairdryer.

It offers microwave, fridge, oven, kettle and coffee machine. Link to apartment-hotel booking

Hotel BEYOND by Geisel, located on the Marienplatz, opposite the New town hall.

In the hotel: lounge area, bar, Parking, free Wi-Fi, hour front Desk and a shared kitchen with a dining area.

In rooms: air conditioning, flat-screen TV and Bluetooth speakers. The bathroom has a rain shower.

Room rates include Breakfast. Link to the hotel booking

All accommodation in Munich, including near the streets of Neuhauser and Kaufinger, and in the old town of Munich, you can view and book here booking

This can come in handy
Leave a review ↓
Nobody has left any reviews.