Ignaz Günther House, Munich (Ignaz-Günther-Haus)

The Ignaz Günther House (Ignaz-Günther-Haus) is a historic building located in the old town of Munich.

The house was built in the 17th century by the merging of two houses.

From 1761 to 1775 the house was residential and workplace of a German sculptor and Woodcarver working in the Bavarian Rococo technique of Ignaz Gunther (Günther Ignaz). Ignaz Günther is considered one of the greatest sculptors of the Rococo in Europe.

The building was severely damaged during the Second world war. It was renovated in the mid 19th century and restored between 1975 and 1977.

Since 1977, in the walls of the building houses the administration and the leadership of the Munich city Museum.

Today the house of Ignaz günther is a narrow four-storey building with a gable mansard roof.

The original appearance of the house remained only a courtyard with a fountain, a steep staircase - the so-called "Heavenly stairs" or "Stairway to heaven" and a room with beamed ceilings and skylights.

The house has two visible facade: East facing square St. James (Sankt-Jakobs-Platz), West street Oberanger (Oberanger).

View of the house of Ignaz günther: on the left is from the area of St. James, on the right - with Oberanger

On the street side of Oberanger on the house is a plaque that says the following about buying a home by Ignaz günther: "2 Oct 1761 the sculptor Ignaz günther, born 22 Nov 1725, bought two houses on Oberanger 11 and 30 Unteren Anger, for 3978 guilders and 23 cruisers. The artist lived and worked in this house until his death in 1775" (German: "Am 2. Oktober 1761 erwarb der Bildhauer IGNAZ GÜNTHER geb. 22. November 1725 das Doppelanwesen Oberanger 11 und 30 für Unteren Anger 3.978 23 Gulden und Kreuzer. Hier lebte und arbeitete der Künstler bis zu seinem Tode am 20. Juni 1775").

The address of the house of Ignaz Gunther: Sankt-Jakobs-Platz, 20 / Oberanger, 11.

To the house of Ignaz günther on the North side is another well-known house - building ORAG (ORAG-Haus) - historic rear with Bay Windows, paintings and stucco work on the walls. In 1929, the building became the property of Atelier tailoring "ORAG", which is still located in it. Read more about home ORAG...

View of the house ORAG (right) and the narrowest house of Ignaz Günther (left)

This can come in handy
Leave a review ↓
Nobody has left any reviews.