House-palace of the Eliseevs (Chicherin) in Saint Petersburg: Eliseevs museum and hotel

Chicherin Palace, also known as the Yeliseyev Palace-a former mansion - is one of the most striking and impressive buildings in St. Petersburg.

Today, the former mansion is a monument of history and architecture, and within its walls there is a hotel, a museum and commercial premises.

The palace is located in the center of St. Petersburg on the corner of the Moika River and Nevsky Prospekt - one of the most visited streets of the city.

The history of the palace dates back to the middle of the 18th century and is closely connected with the main imperial residence of St. Petersburg - the Winter Palace.

In 1755, a temporary wooden Winter Palace of Empress Elizabeth Petrovna (daughter of Peter I) was built on this site, on the site of the Mytny and Gostiny courtyards that burned down in 1736, designed by architect B. F. Rastrelli. The palace was erected during the construction of the capital building of the new Winter Palace. The temporary palace was dismantled in 1762. Learn more about the Winter Palace…

In 1768, the site became the property of the general-police master Nikolai Ivanovich Chicherin, for whom a palace-mansion in the style of early classicism was built. The decoration of the building was completed in 1771.

Chicherin himself occupied a suite on the third floor. Concerts and masquerades were held in the building, and on the lower floor the Italian merchant Berlotti opened a vegetable shop.

In 1789, due to debts, Chicherin's son, Alexander, sold the house to Prince Alexey Borisovich Kurakin, who commissioned an apartment building to be added to the mansion in 1794.

Subsequently, the building changed several owners and residents, and another building was added to it.

In 1858, the complex of buildings became the property of the Yeliseyev brothers. At the same time, the reconstruction of the building was carried out according to the project of the architect N. P. Grebenka.

Under the Yeliseyevs, the front room of the palace was leased to the Noble Noble Assembly, which regularly organized musical and literary evenings, at which F. M. Dostoevsky, I. S. Turgenev, M. E. Saltykov-Shchedrin and other outstanding writers of that time performed.

In 1902-1904, according to the plan of Stepan Petrovich Eliseev, the interior of the palace was reconstructed. The halls were decorated in various styles: Renaissance, Baroque, Rococo and French Empire. At the end of the restoration, the Eliseevs lived in a wing of the building located on the Moika River embankment, and the wing facing Nevsky Prospekt was occupied by the bank's operating room. A number of other premises were rented out.

After the 1917 revolution, the Yeliseyevs were forced to emigrate, and their home was nationalized.

In 1919, the House of the Eliseevs became the House of Arts on the initiative of Maxim Gorky. Later, the building housed a workers 'cinema and the" Club of Business Workers of Socialist Industry".

Since 1993, major reconstruction of the complex of buildings began: the Chicherin Palace on Nevsky Prospekt, the Eliseevs ' mansion on the Moika River embankment and the classicism-style building on Bolshaya Morskaya Street.

In 2003, the grand opening of the 5-star Talion Imperial Hoteltook place , which, to this day, is located in a complex of buildings. Guided tours are also available in the premises of the former mansion. Some rooms are rented out.

The Talion Imperial Hotelhas a rooftop spa with a 22-meter indoor pool, various saunas, a salt room and a sun terrace; 2 gourmet restaurants, a bar, free parking and classic-style rooms. Breakfast may be included in the room rate. Link to the hotel

The architectural feature of the house is that its external outlines are similar to the Winter Palace. The two-tiered colonnade and smaller architectural elements on the facades of the buildings are striking.

View of the former Chicherin (Yeliseyev) Palace in the general ensemble of buildings on Nevsky Prospekt

During the reconstruction, the original interiors of the late 18th and early 20th centuries were also restored.

Today, you can stay at the hotel and enjoy the atmosphere of the luxurious life of the rich residents of St. Petersburg of the past centuries, combined with the comfort of modernity. In the hotel: superior rooms, junior suites, deluxe rooms and suites.

The hotel has a Eliseev Museum, which can be visited with an excursion. The tour takes you through the historic halls of the Talion Imperial Hotel.

To date, the complex has preserved a number of interiors and finishes from the early 1900s. Along with the halls decorated in the spirit of various historical architectural styles, there are rooms in the walls of the former mansion that are a vivid embodiment of the Art Nouveau style.

The halls of the grand suite, the former office of Eliseev, and the music room have been preserved. In the interiors of the premises thereare: gilded stucco, rosettes, painted plafonds, tapestries, paintings, chandeliers, candlesticks, antique furniture, stained glass windows, original wallpaper, etc.

Practical information

Address of the Eliseev Palace (Talion Imperial Hotel): Nevsky Prospekt, 15.

The nearest metrostations are "Admiralteiskaya", "Nevsky Prospekt" and "Gostiny Dvor".

Not far from the Yeliseyev Palace, at the address: Nevsky Prospekt 56, there is a shop of the Yeliseyev merchants, the building of which is an outstanding monument of early modern architecture and within its walls today there is a shop and a theater. Read more about the merchant Eliseev store…

All accommodation facilities in St. Petersburg, including in the city center and on Nevsky Prospekt, can be viewed and booked here

This can come in handy
Leave a review ↓
Nobody has left any reviews.