Ferrari Square (Piazza De Ferrari) - the main square of Genoa, connecting the historical center and the more modern part of the city, located in the city center, near the Cathedral of San Lorenzo.
Piazza Ferrari is named after Raffaele de Ferrari, Duke of Galliera, politician and banker.
Initially the Piazza was called Piazza San Domenico, from the Church of St. Domenica, demolished in 1820-ies for the construction of the Carlo Felice theatre.
After the annexation of the territory of the former Republic of Rapallo to the Kingdom of Sardinia, established in 1814 at the Congress of Vienna, the local authorities decided to create a larger public space, intended for public and cultural events, as well as to expand the city.
Exactly what began to emerge a modern Piazza.
The present square has an irregular shape due to the combination of two related areas, as also evidenced by the different architectural styles of the buildings around the square.
The center of the square from 1936 adorns the most famous fountain of Genoa, designed by architect Giuseppe Crozat di Vergagni.
Fountain in bronze is one of the main symbols of Genoa.
Two sides of the fountain, from the Carlo Felice theatre and the Palace of Liguria, located a series of small fountains, jets that hit out of the ground.
These smaller fountains are very harmoniously blended with and complemented the Piazza.
The perimeter of Piazza de Ferrari located some important buildings of the city
Palace of Liguria (Palazzo della Regione Liguria), formerly known as the Palace of the Italian General navigation, built between 1912 and 1923.
Currently, the building serves as the residence of the Ligurian administration.
The side façade of the Ducal Palace (Palazzo Ducale), which is one of the main historical buildings and museums of the capital of Liguria.
The main facade of the Palace overlooks the adjacent Piazza Giacomo Matteotti (Piazza Giacomo Matteotti).
The construction of the Palazzo Ducale, began in the late 13th century. Subsequently left abandoned for a long time and used as the residence of the judiciary to the construction of a new courthouse in the 70-ies, the Palace became the subject of a complete restoration in 1992.
After the restoration the building was opened to the public and used as a Museum and the Palace of culture. On the ground floor hosts art exhibitions, debates and conferences, also in some of the nearby halls, shops and eateries.
The Giulio Pallavicini Palace (Palazzo Giulio Pallavicini), built in 1586 for Giulio Pallavicini, by order of his brother-in-law Joe. Betty Doria.
Palazzo Agostino the Spinolaand Doria or De Ferrari Galliera (Palazzo Agostino Spinola / Doria De Ferrari Galliera) is the latest evidence of the complex of buildings which belonged to the Doria family.
The building in the form in which it looks like at the present time, appeared in the 18th century through the merger of three separate buildings, built in the late sixteenth century.
During the history the building had several owners. In 1920 it became the property of the Banco di Roma.
The Carlo Felice theatre (Teatro Carlo Felice), the main Genoese theatre, and one of the most famous in Italy.
The theatre has a neoclassical pronaos, created by the architect Carlo B.
Almost completely destroyed by bombing in the Second world war, the theatre was restored many years later and given to the city in 1991.
The walls of the theatre performed Opera, concerts and ballet performances, and other concerts and events. Since 1991 he is the main venue for the musical seasons Gomensoro orchestra Genovese, a nonprofit organization dedicated to the organization and promotion of concerts of chamber music since 1912, the headquarters of which is located in the neighbouring building - the Gallery Giuseppe Mazzini (Galleria Mazzini).
Before prenosom theatre, from the center of the square Ferrari placed a bronze equestrian statue of Giuseppe Garibaldi, work of the sculptor Augusto Rivalta (1893).
Academy of arts "Ligustica" (Accademia ligustica di belle arti), established in 1751, and combining art education and Museum.
The building, which is currently the Academy was built on the ruins of the monastery of San Domenico.
Now portiony the facade of the building, of course, attracts attention and reflects the distinctive Italian architectural features.
The Academy is a Museum with the works of authors, Dating from the thirteenth and the twentieth century. In addition to paintings, the Museum contains sculptures, plaster casts, drawings, prints and ceramics.
Palazzo della Borsa , or stock exchange Palace (Palazzo della Borsa / the Palazzo della Nuova Borsa Valori), perhaps one of the most attractive buildings surrounding the Piazza.
Created by engineers Dario Carbone and Amedeo Pieragostini, the building has architecture, reflecting the style of neo-sixteenth century, and the interior Adolfo coppedé, reflect the liberty style - an Italian modernist style, floral style, style "Liberty or new art."
The architecture and decoration of the Palace was to demonstrate the financial strength, when the Genoese market had large volumes in the beginning of the 20th century. And, without a doubt, this stately building reflects not only power but also beauty and grace, woven together and has already become an integral part of the Piazza.
Today the building is used as exhibition space and is equipped for conferences and exhibitions. The walls of the Palace there is a cafe.
Is della Borsa at the intersection of Piazza de Ferrari, the street on 20 September (Via XX Settembre) and the Dante street (Via Dante) which leads to the house of Christopher Columbus (Casa di Cristoforo Colombo).
The Palace of the Credito Italiano (Palazzo del Credito Italiano), built Giuseppe Tallero in 1914, at the corner of Dante and Francesco Petrarca (Via Francesco Petrarca).
On Piazza de Ferrari there is a bus stop, through which run shuttles to /from the airport of Genoa, the tour buses stop at Genoa, and under the square lies the metro line and metro station is a Ferrari.
All accommodation facilities in Genoa, including in the city center, near the beaches and more remote from them, can be viewed and booked here