The department store "At the Red Bridge" (Au Pont Rouge) is a historical shopping department store, which was the first multi - storey store in Russia, which still exists today.
The historical name of the department store: Trading House " S. Esders and K. Scheifals".
The name" At the Red Bridge " was given to the department store because it is located on the Embankment of the Moika River nearThe Red Bridge in the center of St. Petersburg.
The first trading house on the Moika River Embankment was built on the site of a stone house, in 1906-1907, designed by architects Vladimir Alexandrovich Lipsky and Konstantin Nikolaevich de Rochefort for the company "Esders and Scheifals", which was engaged in the sale of ready-made women's and men's dresses (Belgian citizen S. Esders and Dutch citizen N. Scheifals).
The five-storey building with an attic in the Art Nouveau style became the "haven" of the first multi-storey department store in Russia, which was popular among rich residents and guests of the city, as well as with the Romanov family. So, before the revolution of 1917, the Trading House " S. Esders and K. Scheifals " considered a fashionable and luxurious trading enterprise in St. Petersburg.
Since 1919, the Central Garment Factory operated in the former trading house, which in 1922 was named after the Commissioner for Press, Propaganda and Agitation V. Volodarsky, who began his career as a tailor.
Since 2010, work has been carried out to restore the store.
Today, as many years ago, the building is a shopping center and is a complex called" At the Red Bridge " (Au Pont Rouge), where visitors are offered a wide range of goods, including world-class ones. On the ground floor there is a large supermarket "PRISMA".
The building is made in the Art Nouveau style, it is angular, with a cut-off corner with a balcony, and its upper part is decorated with a dome-tower with a spire. The building is also decorated with abundant plaster decor, and large windows of various shapes with narrow piers create a clear geometry of the facade. Water lilies are depicted above the windows of the fourth floor, garlands descending from medallions on the walls.
Interior of the department store "At the Red Bridge"
From the windows of the department store, you can enjoy a view of the Moika River, the Red Bridge and historical buildings lined up in dense rows along the river embankment.
The address of the department store "At the Red Bridge": Moika River Embankment, 73 / Gorokhovaya Street, 15.
The nearest metrostations are "Admiralteiskaya", "Nevsky Prospekt", "Gostiny Dvor", "Sennaya Ploshchad", "Sadovaya" and "Spasskaya".
All accommodation facilities in St. Petersburg, including in the city center and more remotely from it, can be viewed and booked here