The Cathedral of St. Lawrence or the Cathedral of San Lorenzo, Duomo di Genova (Cattedrale di San Lorenzo, Duomo di Genova) is a Roman Catholic cathedral located in the center of Genoa, in the square of San Lorenzo (Piazza San Lorenzo).
Genoa Cathedral is the main Shrine of Genoa, the most important Catholic place of worship in the city and the mother Church of the homonymous Archdiocese.
The Cathedral is dedicated to Saint Lawrence (San Lorenzo).
The first record, indicating the existence of a Basilica, dedicated to San Lorenzo, belong to the year 878.
The Cathedral was consecrated by Pope Gelasius II in 1118, when the Duomo was not yet completed, and the façade was absent. Between the twelfth and fourteenth centuries, the Cathedral was built, and then rebuilt as a fundamental medieval building with some later additions and reconstructions. Complete the construction of the Cathedral was completed in the 17th century.
Altars, chapels and frescoes were built between the 14th and 15th centuries.
Main facade of the Cathedral with three eye-catching portals of the 13th century in the Gothic style, while some of the element, such as a secondary hub and the side roofs are of the Romanesque style.
The lunette of the Central portal represents the bas-reliefs and high reliefs depicting Christ with St. Lawrence. Above the portal, a large rose window.
On the sides of the stairs in front of the facade are two lions belonging to the 19th century and two small columns.
The Cathedral has two towers: the right - finished and high is the tower, built in 1522; the left one remained unfinished (1455 ad) and instead made the loggia.
60-meter high bell tower is one of the highest towers in Liguria. The author of the project was Pietro Carlone. In the bell tower placed seven different bells of varying age and sound, but with the main note.
Exactly two asymmetrical towers have become one of the landmarks of the Cathedral and are already an integral and unusual part.
White and gray stripes on the facade of the Cathedral, today is also integral to it, in medieval times was a symbol of nobility.
The side façade of the Cathedral of San Lorenzo in Genoa. The view from one of the main streets of the historical centre of Genoa - San Lorenzo (Via San Lorenzo).
The interior of the Cathedral has basiliskii plan with a transept and choir triapsidny. The interior space is divided into three naves by marble columns and arches in the dark-light bands, as well as superimposed small Romanesque arches of gray stone belonging to the Romanesque building (11th and 12th century).
The Central nave of the Cathedral is crowned by a Baroque presbytery with the main altar. Baroque marble, stucco and gilding was made in the 17th century. The frescoes in the presbytery from 1622 of the Lazzaro Tavarone.
To the left of the main chapel is the altarpiece, the work of Charles B.
Along the left aisle is a rich chapel of St. John the Baptist. The chapel contains an urn with the relics of the Saint, patron of the city.
In the left transept also is a beautiful funeral monument of the family of SIBO, built of marble in the 16th century. On the monument is the Organ with Baroque decorative chest.
The right apsidal chapel - Chapel Balbi-Senarega (Cappella Balbi-Senarega), which is the altar, designed by Carlo B.
Near the right aisle you can see an unexploded armour-piercing shell fired by the British Navy. Shell 9 Feb 1941 though and broke through the walls of the Cathedral of St. Lawrence, but fell unexploded.
Entrance to the Cathedral is free (free). In the walls of the Cathedral you can visit the treasure Museum of the Cathedral, the entrance ticket costs 6 Euro to climb the tower of the Cathedral, 5€, free for children up to 12 years.
View of the Piazza San Lorenzo, lying in front of the main facade of the Cathedral of Genoa.
All accommodation facilities in Genoa, including in the city center, near the beaches and more remote from them, can be viewed and booked here