Bamberg is a charming historical city of kings and bishops, located in the Upper Franconia of Bavaria, Germany.
Bamberg is located on the banks of the Regnitz River and stands on seven hills, which is why it is known as the "City on Seven Hills".
In the old days, Bamberg, known by documents since 902, was called "German Rome", the city is also known as "Franconian Rome".
In 997, Holy Roman Emperor Henry II and his wife Kunigunda arrived in Babenberg, who decided to make Babenberg (Babenberg, as the city was called in the Middle Ages) a hereditary possession, after which they began construction of the cathedral and laid several churches.
The city has experienced a period of great prosperity since the 12th century, during which it was briefly the center of the Holy Roman Empire.
Bamberg lost its independence in 1802 after the secularization of church lands and became part of Bavaria in 1803.
Bamberg is one of the few major historical cities in Germany that survived the Second World War.
Today Bamberg, with its rich history and culture, as well as an abundance of attractions, is considered one of the most vibrant cities in Germany, the historical center of which (the old town of Bamberg) is included in the UNESCO World Heritage List.
Bamberg is home to Europe's largest intact old city wall.
Bamberg today is, without a doubt, one of the most charming and visited cities in Germany with an abundance of historical attractions.
There are hills with panoramic views, and each of which has its own dominant - the church; the island part with winding narrow streets with buildings in the Baroque, medieval, romantic style, and houses along the river, called "Little Venice"; as well as museums, cathedrals, churches, monasteries, castles and former palaces. And breweries, which have already become an integral symbol of Bamberg, add variety to a leisurely holiday in this beautiful Franconian city, in which the spirit of the Middle Ages still hovers, now mixed with the modern way of life.
Since, by modern standards, Bamberg is a small city, and its center is easy to get around on foot, Bamberg is also one of the most interesting cities for hiking.
Bamberg is also located in the middle of three natural parks with beautiful landscapes, where there is an opportunity for numerous and diverse hiking routes.
Separation of Bamberg for the convenience of orientation in the city
- the island city (island city), which lies between the right and left branches of the Regnitz River and is the most popular part of Bamberg, with narrow streets, bright low buildings, numerous shops and restaurants, and where the main tourist life takes place.
The island town hosts the main Christmas fairs of Bamberg;
- mountain town (Franconian Rome), part of Bamberg on the west side of the Regnitz River. This is the place where the hills of the city rise, each of which is crowned with its dominant church, among which the main place is occupied by Bamberg Cathedral.
- the city of gardeners, located on the eastern side of the Regnitz River. Since the 17th century, Bamberg gardeners have exported their products grown in their own gardens at city houses (onions, seeds, but above all licorice), far beyond the city limits.
Today, the so-called gardeners' city with its wide open spaces characterizes part of the Bamberg urban landscape. Here the medieval structures of the house gardens have been partially preserved, but such cultivated areas in the city center are unique for Germany and it is not surprising that these urban gardens have made a significant contribution to the definition of Bamberg as a UNESCO World Heritage Site.
The pearl in the center of the city of the gardeners of Bamberg isThe Gardeners' Museum (Gärtner- und Häckermuseum), which is a museum in an 18th-century gardener's house with homely rooms, workrooms and a garden, which gives an idea of the habitat of a wealthy family of gardeners around 1900. Museum address: Mittelstraße 34, 96052 Bamberg.
Also in the city of gardeners, you can visit the exhibition herb garden of the MUSSÄROL Bamberger gardening center and the observation deck "Leaning Tower" (Aussichtsturm "Schiefer Turm"), which is a low tower with two flights of stairs, which gives an overview of the "gardeners' quarter". Tower address: Heiliggrabstraße 57, 96052 Bamberg.
Witches and wizards in Bamberg
In the wake of the Counter-Reformation, Prince-Bishop Johann Georg von Dornheim unleashed a large-scale witch hunt in Bamberg.
A special building was erected in Bamberg to contain the "witches" -Drudenhaus ("house of night spirits"), which was built in 1627 and was a special prison for people accused of witchcraft. The Witches' prison was closed in 1632, and the building itself was demolished in 1635 (now the building does not exist).
Today in Bamberg is placedThe Hexenmahnmal is a light sculpture at ground level commemorating the victims of illegal persecution, hunting and the so-called witch trials that took place in Bishop Bamberg, especially between 1612 and 1631, when about 1,000 innocent people (women, men and children) were brutally tortured and killed, including burned alive, during several waves of persecution.
The memorial is located on Schönleinsplatz.
Christmas in Bamberg and the Nativity Scene Museum
On Christmas Eve, Bamberg is transformed and attracts numerous tourists from all over the world.
Several Christmas fairs in Bamberg (Bamberg Christmas Market) invite guests to spend the pre-Christmas period with a special atmosphere.
The main traditional Bamberg Christmas market is located on Maximiliansplatz and nearby pedestrian streets, and lasts throughout Advent. A magical Christmas atmosphere is created on the square, and from elegant kiosks they sell fried sausages, roasted almonds, mulled wine, Franconian gingerbread and souvenirs. A varied entertainment program, including church music, street musicians and choir singing, also takes place during the entire period of the Christmas market at Maximilianplatz.
Admission to the Christmas markets is free.
Also on the eve of Christmas in the city you can see nativity scenes (baby cots): big and small, historical and modern, Franconian and from all over the world.
In Bamberg is locatedBamberg Nativity Scene Museum (Bamberger Krippenmuseum), which presents nativity scenes from all over the world, mainly historical and nativity scenes, which are very different in origin, age and material.
The range of exhibits that can be seen in the museum ranges from a large nativity scene made of Bohemian glass to evidence of the art of the nativity scene in Bamberg and numerous objects from around the world.
The address of the nativity scene museum: Obere Sandstraße 23, 96049 Bamberg.
In addition to the pre-Christmas fairs, other fairs, holidays and festivals are held in Bamberg throughout the year. For example, the literary Festival (February), the four-day free art and culture festival ASTA Bamberg e.V. (May-June), the Bamberg Wine Festival at Maximilianplatz (June), the Blues and Jazz Festival (August), etc.
Breweries in Bamberg (smoked beer)
Bamberg is famous not only for its beautiful historical center, but also known as the beer city of Franconia.
There are many breweries with inns located within the city of Bamberg and in the surrounding area, where you can not only taste various foamy drinks, but also taste Franconian and Bavarian cuisine.
However, Bamberg itself is known primarily for its smoked (or smoky) beer (Rauchbier / Raubir), which is famous for the aroma of smoke and has already become legendary due to the taste that smoked malt gives to beer.
You can try smoked Bamberg beer in the historical brewery-beer "Schlenkerla" (Schlenkerla), which has been operating since 1405 and where smoked beer is still poured from oak barrels with you, and smoked malt is historically obtained by roasting malt on an open fire. Learn more about smoked beer and breweries in Bamberg...
River Regnitz in Bamberg
Embankments with elegant historical and more modern buildings run along the Regnitz River and its canals in Bamberg, and bridges and locks cross the river itself.
The most impressive buildings are located along the left arm of the Regnitz River (Linker Regnitsarm) and the Ludwig-Main-Danube Canal.
The most famous of the locks is the "Gateway 100" (Schleuse 100) - the last of the locks of the old Ludwig-Main-Danube canal (Ludwig-Main-Donau-Kanal), built under King Ludwig I from 1836 to 1845.
"Lock 100" is still used for pleasure boats and canoes and is operated manually by the lock keeper. It also helps to regulate the water level in the left arm of the Regnitz. The idyllic castle keeper's house near the lock has also been preserved.
Among the buildings along the Linker Regnitsarm Canal, Villa Concordia stands out, which is an architectural monument and was originally erected in 1716-1722 as a residential mansion for the court adviser Ignaz Tobias Bettinger.
Today this magnificent Baroque building is the International House of Artists (Internationales Künstlerhaus Villa Concordia), where there is an exhibition hall and a library.
Sights and museums of Bamberg. Bamberg Old Town
Bamberg, especially its center, is full of attractions, including an abundance of historical buildings, cathedrals and monasteries, former residences of monarchs and castles, small park areas with observation terraces, as well as museums and squares.
The old town of Bamberg (Altstadt Bambergs / Altstadt Bamberg) is located on the island part and the left side of the Regnitz River. This is the heart of Bamberg and the place where the main tourist life takes place. There are narrow streets, some of which are pedestrian; small but cozy squares; an abundance of cafes, pubs and restaurants, there are taverns and summer beer gardens; souvenir shops and shops. Accommodation facilities (hotels, apartments) are also located in the old town
The main attractions and museums of Bamberg include
Cathedral Square: Bamberg Cathedral, Old Courtyard, New Residence
Cathedral Square (Domplatz Bamberg) is the main, one of the largest and most impressive squares in Bamberg.
The ensemble of the square has been formed for many centuries, since 1012, with the simultaneous formation of the ensemble of buildings of the square.
Cathedral Square Ensemble
Bamberg Cathedral (Bamberger Dom) - the Imperial Cathedral of Bamberg, which dates back to the 13th century, is the dominant of the historical center of the city, as well as an example of Romanesque architecture with Gothic elements.
This is the main temple of Bamberg - the Cathedral, the official name of which is the Bamberg Cathedral of St. Peter and St. George (Bamberger Dom St. Peter und St. Georg).
Inside the cathedral stands out: two choirs, crypts, chapels, altars and an organ; frescoes, epitaphs and sculptures, the most famous of which is the Bamberg Horseman; as well as tombs, including the tomb of the holy imperial couple - Henry II and his wife, the Holy Empress Cunegonde, King Conrad III, Pope Clement II and Bishops Gunther and Otto II. More about Bamberg Cathedral...
In the neighboring chapter house, to the south (right) of the Bamberg Cathedral, there isCathedral Museum (Diözesanmuseum Bamberg).
The cathedral's chapter house was built by master builder Balthazar Neumann between 1731 and 1733 in the Baroque style. The first plans of the museum were made back in 1907, but only in 1966 it opened under the auspices of the Metropolitan.
The collection of the Museum of the Diocese of Bamberg focuses on treasures and architectural sculptures from Bamberg Cathedral, dating from the time of Henry II and his wife and up to the 21st century.
The museum's website: dioezesanmuseum-bamberg.de .
The Old Courtyard or Old Residence (Alte Hofhaltung Bamberg) is a complex of historical buildings that previously served as the residence of bishops.
Initially, the palace of Emperor Henry II was located on the site of the Old Courtyard. Since the diocese was founded in 1007, it is likely that the palace also served as the bishop's residence.
After the palace was left at the full disposal of the bishops, in the 15th and 16th centuries they rebuilt the palace to suit their needs as a complex of buildings in the style of the German Renaissance.
Today, the Old Courtyard stands out with a gate with sculptures, a building with a powerful bay window with rich details in the Renaissance style, which adjoins the gate and a courtyard surrounded by ancient half-timbered buildings.
In the Old Courtyard there are: The Historical Museum (Historische Museum) and the former Catherine Chapel (Katharinenkapelle, Katharinenkapelle), which offers a venue for civil weddings, concerts and lectures, and where from May to October, under the name "Light and Shadow", the 1000-year history of the city is performed (works as a Shadow Theater, Theatre of Shadows). More about the Old Courtyard, the museum and the theater...
The new residence (Neue Residenz), erected opposite the Strictly Courtyard from the beginning of the 17th century, when the then existing residence (now the Old Courtyard) was already cramped for bishops.
The construction of the New Residence took place in two stages for more than 100 years.
Today, the residence building has several interconnected wings (sandstone buildings), which form a long zigzag structure with architectural portals and various discreet decorations.
- The State Gallery of Bamberg (Staatsgalerie von Bamberg), which presents almost 50 halls and rooms of the late 17th and 18th centuries in various styles, where art treasures from late Gothic to historicism are presented, including more than 500 pieces of furniture, painting, sculpture and textile art.
Website of the State Gallery (New Residence): residenz-bamberg.de;
- The Bamberg State Library (Staatsbibliothek Bamberg), located in the east wing of the New Residence and largely preserved the halls of the former residence with stucco and frescoes.
Website of the Bamberg State Library: staatsbibliothek-bamberg.de;
- rosary (Rosengarten Bamberg) - a rose garden located outdoors, between the wings of the New residence (courtyard).
Roses and lime trees grow in the garden, paths are laid out, there is a rococo pavilion (now a cafe), sculptures and a memorial to Otto and his wife Amalia in a blind arch in the wall.
The rose garden offers panoramic views of Bamberg, as well as Michelsberg with the former Benedictine monastery. Learn more about the New Residence...
St. Michael's Abbey
St. Michael's Abbey, also known as St. Michael's Monastery (Kloster Michaelsberg / Mikaelsberg) is a former Benedictine monastery founded in 1015 by the first bishop of Bamberg, Eberhard, at the suggestion of Emperor Henry II.
Today, within the walls of the former monastery there are: a nursing home, the current church of St. Michael with the grave of Otto I (Michaelskirche), a cafe, and in the former monastery brewery is open Franconian Beer Museum (Fränkisches Brauereimuseum Bamberg).
There is a Baroque garden near the monastery, and panoramic views of Bamberg open from the terraces.
Address of St. Michael's Abbey: Michelsberg 10, Bamberg. More about St. Michael's Abbey...
Old Town Hall
The Old Town Hall of Bamberg (Altes Rathaus Bamberg) is a medieval town hall, which is one of the most important and beautiful buildings that characterize the historical center of the city.
The Town Hall stands on an artificial island in the middle of the Regnitz River, between the former episcopal and working (urban) districts of Bamberg.
The Town Hall was first mentioned in 1387 and is a complex of buildings with a Bridge tower and adjacent bridges with sculptures. A bridge passes through the tower of the town hall, so the town hall is sometimes called the "Town Hall on the Bridge".
Today, the Ludwig Museum operates within the walls of the old town Hall, with a collection of Strasbourg faience and porcelain from the collection of the chocolate manufacturer Ludwig called "Baroque Splendor". Adjacent to the exhibition is the famous Bamberg Rococo Councillors' Hall. Museum website: sammlung-ludwig. Learn more about the Old Town Hall and bridges...
The area "At The Cranes"
At the Cranes (Am Kranen / Am Kranen) is an embankment, a street and a square on which there are several significant objects and which is located near the bank of the Regnitz River.
Attractions of the square "At the Cranes"
The head of Centurion I (Igor Mitoraj "Centurione"), which is a modern sculpture in Bamberg.
The bronze sculpture was created by the Polish-born master Igor Mitorai, who worked mainly in Paris and Italy.
The head belongs to classical antiquity, but at the same time it is not integral, but with damage, which, according to the plan, should lead to philosophical reflections.
Historical monuments of cranes "Am Kranen".
Once it was the heart of the city's port facility. Its importance comes from the fact that Bamberg received the so-called stacking from Emperor Barbarossa in 1156, according to which passing merchants had to unload their goods in Bamberg and put them up for sale within 3 days before they were allowed to move on.
Monuments to two cranes gave the name of this small square - "At the Cranes" (Am Kranen).
Schlachthaus is an old slaughterhouse built in 1741-1742.
On the pediment of the building of the Old Slaughterhouse there is a bas-relief with the image of a bull and an inscription in Latin: "It is unnatural to be a bull now, but not a calf before, but I was lucky. The artist's hand made me a bull before I was born a calf."
Today the building is used as part of the University of Bamberg.
The historic Hafenrundfahrt building.
Little Venice (Klein Venedig) is a place on the Regnitz River, where small half-timbered houses with tiny gardens are located in dense rows along the banks of the river.
Previously it was a fishing settlement, and half-timbered houses mostly belong to the Middle Ages.
"Little Venice" stretches downstream of the Regnitz River from the square "At the Cranes".
You can see "Little Venice" both from bridges and river banks, and by taking a tour on a pleasure boat, boat or canoe along the river. The pier is located on the square "At the Cranes". Learn more about the observation decks and observation points of Bamberg...
Maksplatz: New Town Hall, fountain and Christmas Market
Maksplatz or Maximilian Square (Maximiliansplatz Bamberg / Maximiliansplatz Bamberg) is the most famous and one of the largest city squares in the historical center of Bamberg.
On Christmas Eve, Bamberg's main Christmas Market is located on the square and nearby streets.
The square is decorated with the Maximilian Fountain (Maximiliansbrunnen), which, like the whole square, is named after King Maximilian I. The fountain was created by Ferdinand von Miller in 1888. The fountain statues were cast in 1880.
The perimeter of the square is surrounded by historically buildings that form a characteristic urban ensemble in the late Baroque style. The main building on the square is The new Town Hall (Neues Rathaus), erected by Balthazar Neumann in the 18th century and today is the city hall. More about Maximilian Square...
The Green Market (Grüner Markt) is a square and a street that are the main tourist spots in Bamberg.
The Green Market leads to the Maxplatz and it also houses Bamberg's main Christmas market.
Along the Gruner Markt there are historical buildings housing shops, cafes, restaurants and hotels
In the pedestrian zone of the Green Market there are stalls selling fruits, vegetables and flowers. Hence the name - "Green Market".
In the center of the square, the monumental fountain of Neptune (Neptunsbrunnen), which the inhabitants of Bamberg affectionately call Gabelmann, is noteworthy.
Near the fountain of Neptune stands the beautiful Baroque church of St. Martin (Kirche St. Martin).
The origin of the church is closely related to the Jesuit Order, as it was built as a university church and a Jesuit college church. The church was founded on August 16, 1686 and consecrated on May 17, 1693.
The mighty 55-meter-high church tower is not one of the tallest in the city, but it is a striking element of the urban landscape thanks to the surrounding balustrade and the "IHS" on the weather vane, which can be seen from afar. The tower was built in 1696.
The interior of the church harmoniously intertwines modesty and splendor of decoration. The church is notable for: altars, pulpit, organ, sculptures and a false inner dome with a dome fresco by Giovanni Francesco Marcini (1714-1716).
Church address: Grüner Markt 19, 96047 Bamberg.
Natural History Museum with Bird Hall
The Museum of Natural History (Naturkunde-Museum Bamberg), located in the halls of the former Jesuit College, combines the historical with the modern.
The most notable in the museum is the Bird Hall or the Bamberg Bird Hall (Vogelsaal), which exhibits numerous preserved specimens of animals, especially birds, as well as corals, shells, fish, snakes and other creatures.
The Bird Hall was founded in 1791 by Prince-Bishop Franz Ludwig von Erthal as a "cabinet of natural objects". The two-storey hall in the early classical style has survived to the present day and can be considered one of the most beautiful in this style in the world.
In addition to the hall, the museum also houses modern exhibitions on various topics of natural history.
Museum address: Fleischstraße 2, 96047 Bamberg.
The museum's website: naturkundemuseum-bamberg.de/index.php/en .
Bettinger House - Art Gallery
The Bettinger House (Böttingerhaus) is a beautiful former Baroque palace, which was built in 1707-1713 on the model of Italian palazzi by the wealthy court adviser Johan Ignaz Tobias Bettinger.
Today, this majestic building, which is considered the most important bourgeois German Baroque palace in Bamberg, has an ornate courtyard and a garden with terraces.
The walls of the building house an art gallery (Kunstgalerien Böttingerhaus) of old and modern art.
Of the previously valuable interior decorations in the representative halls of the upper floor , the molded ceilings of Ya have been preserved . Jacob Vogel with frescoes by Jacob Gebhard, which depict the deeds of Bettinger and his prince. Of particular importance is the street facade, made with a lush plastic decor.
The figures crowning the windows of the building - generals, officers and soldiers - recall the important role of Bettinger in the War of the Spanish Succession (1701-1714).
The address of the palace: Judenstraße 14, 96049 Bamberg.
Gallery website: kunstgalerie-boettingerhaus.
Altenburg Fortress or Altenburg Castle (Schloss Altenburg Bamberg) is a medieval fortress (castle), which is one of the most striking and important sights of Bamberg.
The first mention of Altenburg dates back to the beginning of the 12th century, although, most likely, since the 9th century there was some uninhabited strategic fortification at this place, which served mainly as a refuge for bishops and townspeople.
Today, the Altenburg fortress is not medieval in the literal sense of the word, it has been restored on the preserved parts and is a complex of buildings in the historical style, surrounded by a wall with towers.
On the territory of the fortress there are: the main palace of 1902 and a restaurant, a well of 1893, a Hoffmann's room, a 33-meter observation tower of the 13th century (you can climb to the observation deck of the tower), a bear cage, a chapel.
Panoramic views of the city of Bamberg and the surrounding area open from the observation terraces of the fortress.
Entrance to the fortress territory is free.
Church of Our Lady
The Church of Our Lady or Upper Parish (Pfarrkirche Unsere Liebe Frau, Obere Pfarre) is a parish church, which is the only practically purely Gothic church in the city.
The popular name "Upper Parish" (Obere Pfarre) of the church was given because of its location on the Kaulberg hill, as an analogue of the Lower Parish - the former Gothic church of Alt St. Martin (Alt St. Martin) of the 14th and 15th centuries, which was located on Maximiliansplatz and was demolished during secularization in 1805.
The construction of the Church of Our Lady began in 1338.
Today, the Church of the Mother of God attracts attention with its size, architecture with portals and a bell tower, more than 60 meters high, the upper part of which forms the former home of the caretakers.
The interior of the three-nave Church of the Mother of God is notable for the ribbed vaults of the high choir, stucco molding, paintings, sculptures, the main altar in the Baroque style, Tintoretto's painting "The Assumption of the Virgin", the pulpit, the organ and the stone communion house of 1430, which was used to store the Eucharist.
The address of the Church of Our Lady: Frauenplatz, 1. More about the Church of Our Lady...
The Carmelite Monastery (Karmelitenkloster Bamberg) was founded as a complex in the 12th century and rebuilt in the Baroque style by Leonard Dinzenhofer in 1692-1701.
Behind the entrance facade of the Baroque monastery is a magnificent late Romanesque monastery of the 13th century.
The Carmelite Church of St. Mary and St. Theodore (Karmelitenkirche St. Maria und St. Theodor) is located at the monastery.
Address of the monastery: Karmelitenplatz 1, 96049 Bamberg.
Website: karmeliten.de/orte/bamberg/index.html .
Bamberg City Gallery - Villa Dessauer
The representative villa (Villa Dessauer) of the Jewish hop merchant Dessauer was built in 1884 in front of the city gate in the grove area.
Today, the building houses the Stadtgalerie Bamberg, which hosts special exhibitions, mainly of contemporary art, as well as lectures and musical events organized by the museums of Bamberg.
The address of the villa-gallery: Hainstraße 4, 96047 Bamberg.
Parks, recreation areas and swimming pools in Bamberg
Lebenzader Regnitz Park
Near the waters of the Regnitz River there is a small Lebensader Regnitz park with sculptures, including the famous "Anchor Figure 2002" (Ankerfigur 2002) by the Swiss artist Bernhard Luginbuhl, which is dedicated to civilization and the environment. The sculpture consists of discarded objects.
Bamberg Sculpture Park
The Bamberg Sculpture Park (Sculpturenpark Bamberg / Skulpturenpark Bamberg) is also part of the sculptural part of Bamberg.
Here, on an area of more than 8000 square meters, there are more than 24 large sculptures from 5 working groups of the Bamberg master Bernd Wagenheuser. New sculptures are added or replaced alternately.
The address of the sculpture park: Mußstraße 5a, 96047 Bamberg.
Also in Bamberg there are other sculptures by Bernd Wagenheuser, for example, modernThree-part art installation (Dreiteilige Kunst-Installation). Address: Hellerstraße 13, 96047 Bamberg.
In addition, an exhibition hall of the artist Bernd Wagenheuser has been opened in Bamberg, which is used as a place for contemporary art, where the artist's works are exhibited.
Hall address: Bernd Wagenhäuser, Gertrauden Straße 10 / Rückgebäude, 96050 Bamberg.
Website: atelier-wagenhaeuser.de .
Rosengarten Geyerswerth is a small public garden located in the area of the former Geyerswerth Castle Park, on a small island between the left arm of the Regnitz River (Linker Regnitsarm) and the old Ludwig-Main-Danube canal.
The former city palace Geyerswerth (Residenzschloss Geyerswörth) is a landmark and is named after the Geyer family from Nuremberg.
In 1313, the Patrician Geyer family built the city palace, giving this place its current name. In 1585-1586, the family moved to Nuremberg and left the building to the then Bamberg Prince-Bishop Ernst von Mengersdorf. After that, the Prince-bishop ordered to reconstruct the Geyer family property and build the current palace in the Renaissance style.
Today, the former palace is used by the authorities of the city of Bamberg, as well as for events and celebrations. There is an observation deck in the castle tower, but now it is impossible to climb it (we recommend checking the information about the possibility of climbing to the observation deck before the trip).
- 4-star Welcome Hotel Villa Geyerswörth with a bar, free high-speed Wi-Fi, sauna, modern fitness room, parking, conference and meeting facilities. Breakfast is included in the room rate. Link to the hotel
Hain City Park
The city park "Hain" (Stadtpark "Hain") is the largest in the center of Bamberg.
The park is located near the banks of the Regnitz River near the old town of Bamberg.
The park has many walking paths among untouched nature and silence, a botanical garden, ponds, sculptures, places to relax, toilets, playgrounds and a beer garden.
Near Hain Park, the Hainbadestelle summer recreation area is notable.
This is an outdoor recreation and swimming area by the Regnitz River with sun beds, lawns, a garden, a children's pool, table football, hammocks, a book delivery service, a cafe, a children's pool, a playground with a slide, swings and a sandbox.
You can swim in the river; wooden stairs are equipped for descending into the water.
Entrance is paid.
Address: Mühlwörth 18a, 96047 Bamberg.
Also in Bamberg there is a recreation complex for the whole family "Bambados" with indoor, swimming, children's and outdoor pools on the roof, Jacuzzi, saunas and a slide 76 meters long. Address: Pödeldorfer Straße 175, 96050 Bamberg. Website: bambados.
The main theaters and halls in Bamberg
Bamberg Concert Hall
The Bamberg Concert and Congress Hall (Konzert- und Kongresshalle Bamberg) is primarily home to the Bamberg Symphony Orchestra - the Bavarian State Philharmonic.
The Bamberg Concert Hall is also a place with many possibilities as a venue for congresses and conferences, as well as an exhibition hall. It is also used for a wide variety of events, from festivals and cabarets to pop concerts, musicals and dance shows.
Hall address: Mußstraße 1, 96047 Bamberg.
Website of the hall: bamberg-ce.de .
Bamberg Puppet Theater
The Bamberger Marionettentheater (Bamberger Marionettentheater) was founded in 1986, is famous for the historical stage of the 1st half of the 19th century and offers puppet productions - plays of the German romantic and classical periods; the repertoire includes in constant change: fairy tales, dramas and operas, mainly in the original versions of their respective authors.
The theater is located in the historic Bamberg townhouse of the 18th century - "Staubsche House" (Staubsche Haus), at the address: Untere Sandstraße 30, 96049 Bamberg.
The theater's website: bamberger-marionettentheater.de .
ETA Hoffmann Theater
E.T.A. Hoffman was a composer, artist and poet. He came to Bamberg in 1808 to work as a musical director at the local theater - the current Theater of ETA Hoffmann (E.T.A.-Hoffmann-Theater).
Not far from the theater is the former home of E.T.A. Hoffmann (E.T.A.-Hoffmann-Haus), where he lived with his wife from 1809 to 1813. Today the house can be visited as a museum. Hoffman's apartment is decorated as a memorial. The museum presents Hoffmann as a multifaceted artist and connects Hoffmann's years in Bamberg with his work.
Theater address: E.T.A.-Hoffmann-Platz 1, 96047 Bamberg. Website: theater.bamberg.de .
Address of the house-museum: Schillerplatz 26, 96047 Bamberg.
Hoffmann monument near the theater
Hoffmann House Museum
Theater on Michelsberg
The Theater on Michelsberg (TaM - Theater am Michelsberg), located in the monastery complex of St. Michael, presents cabaret, comedy and productions for children and adults.
Guest productions are also held in the theater.
Theater address: Michaelsberg 10f, 96049 Bamberg.
The theater's website: tam.ag .
Bamberg Tourist Maps
For the convenience of visiting the sights and museums of Bamberg, you can purchase a Bamberg card (BAMBERGcard) with which you can visit some museums and attractions for free.
This three-day ticket also includes a 2-hour city tour and free unlimited bus and train rides in Bamberg and the nearby Bamberg region.
Tourist transport in Bamberg
- bus-tram with a sightseeing tour of the city. He also visits the Altenburg Fortress.
- a red convertible bus hop-on hop-off to the main attractions of the city. Buses run from March 1 to the Day of the Three Kings (early January). The ticket is a one-day ticket. You can buy tickets on buses from the driver.
Excursions in Bamberg
You can explore Bamberg and some of its surroundings with excursions
Surroundings of Bamberg - where to go from Bamberg
- Friesener observation deck (Aussichtspunkt Friesener Warte) on a large mountain plateau.
The most convenient way to travel around Bamberg is by car. Rent a car in Bamberg →
How to get to Bamberg
The main airport, where most tourists who want to visit Bamberg arrive, is located in the city of Nuremberg. This is the Albrecht Dürer International Airport (Flughafen Nürnberg "Albrecht Dürer"), which serves local and international flights, including budget airlines (low-cost airlines). Flights to Nuremberg →
So, arriving in Nuremberg, you can not only go to Bamberg, but also stay in Nuremberg itself with its beautiful historical center and an abundance of attractions. More about Nuremberg...
You can get from Nuremberg to Bamberg (airport and city center)
- taxi/transfer. Getting from Nuremberg airport to the center of Nuremberg is most convenient and fastest by taxi. You can order a taxi / transfer in advance, even from home. At any time of the day, at the airport, a driver will be waiting for you with a sign where your first and last name will be written. To order a taxi, it is enough to provide your flight data!
- the car. The most convenient way to travel independently in Germany is by car. You can rent a car in advance, even from home, the car will be waiting for you immediately upon arrival.
- public transport. From public transport, these are buses and trains (commuter trains). There are train stations in Bamberg and Nuremberg. Learn more about how to get from Nuremberg to Bamberg...
You can get to Bamberg (and from Bamberg) from cities in Germany, as well as France, Italy, Austria, the Czech Republic, Hungary, Poland, Luxembourg, the Netherlands and some other European countries by intercity buses.
Trains also run to Bamberg from cities in Germany and Europe, and from some cities you can also get by taxi.
Where to stay in Bamberg. Hotels in Bamberg
The choice of accommodation facilities in Bamberg is very diverse - from 5-star hotels to budget guest houses and apartments located both in the historical center of the city and near the Regnitz River, and more remotely from those.
For the convenience of walking around Bamberg and sightseeing, it is most convenient to stop in the historical center of the city.
All accommodation facilities in Bamberg can be viewed and booked here
Currency and visas
Germany is part of the euro area. The currency of the country is Euro (€). Both cash and bank cards are accepted for payment in many shops, cafes and restaurants.
In some catering establishments (restaurants, pubs), to be able to pay with a bank card, an invoice amount of a certain amount is required - often from 20-40 euros.
Germany is part of the Schengen area. To visit the country, you may need travel insurance.