The Artillery Tseykhauz is a historical building located on the territory of the Peter and Paul Fortress (Zayachy Ostrov) in St. Petersburg.
The Artillery Zeichhaus was built in 1801-1802 by the military engineer Alexander Briskorn to store weapons and military equipment.
In the 19th century, the building housed a Fire Station, then a telephone exchange, and at the end of the century, the zeichhaus was used for conducting drill exercises of the fortress garrison. At the beginning of the 20th century, part of the premises of the zeichhaus were adapted for prison cells.
During the siege of Leningrad, the building housed workshops where trucks were repaired for the "Road of Life". In the post-war period, the Society for the protection of monuments of the Leningrad Region was located in the walls of the tseikhhaus.
Currently, the building is a monument of architecture of the 19th century and it houses the exhibition and service rooms of the State Museum of the History of St. Petersburg, as well as a cafe.
The building has one floor, a long facade and a strict appearance in the classical style.
The main entrance in the center of the southern facade, facing the Main Alley of the Peter and Paul Fortress, is flanked by wide blades and completed with a triangular pediment.
A sign on the wall of the former artillery zeichhaus
The Artillery tseykhauz is located on the territory of the Peter and Paul Fortress, between the Main Alley, the Main Treasury building, the Menshikov Bastion and the Petrovskaya Kurtina (a section of the fortress wall) with Peter's Gate, at the address: Peter and Paul Fortress, 12.
The entrance to the territory of the Peter and Paul Fortress is free (free of charge).
You can also visit the Peter and Paul Fortress with one of the excursions
Nearest metro stations: "Gorkovskaya" and "Sportivnaya".
All accommodation facilities in St. Petersburg, including in the city center and near the Peter and Paul Fortress, can be viewed and booked here